I recently bought a '91 CBR600F2. The night I bought it a friend and I went out for a ride for about 50 miles... Big smile on face!!!
About half way round I started to hear a whistling sound, but thought is was his H-D. We got about a mile from home and my bike just died, flat as a pancake. The headlight faded quickly, and it would not start. Once i removed my Helmet I realised the whistling was my bike, and coming from under the seat. Eventually I get it home and pull out the battery, connecting it to the charger gives an error and will not charge.
I bought a new battery the following day, and all is well. A week later, I hear a little whistling on my way home from work. Next morning, bike starts and is good. A couple of weeks later the whistling is back again and this time once it has died down the bike will not start...
I removed the battery and there is no sound when I shake it (I cannot hear the acid sloshing)... I took the battery back to the shop and received an exchange.
On Saturday I was out for about an hour and a half and when I arrived home the bike is whistling, I quickly pull out the battery (with gloves) and there is gas escaping from the seal between the top and bottom sections of the Battery case. Once it has stopped I reconnect the battery and the bike started.
It appears that I keep boiling the acid out of the battery. I know it's hot here in Texas but this cannot be normal.
Is this a known problem?
Are there any 'Heat deflectors' which could be missing or is there another solution???
I don't really want to have to exchange the battery every month or so.
Sorry for the length but I thought the background info might be useful...