Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Whats the best way to clean your chain..

5K views 40 replies 13 participants last post by  TexasTraffic 
#1 ·
Hi,

Just brought a bike and the chain is a little.. shall we say - seen cleaner days lol..

Whats the most efficient way of cleaning the chain and the rear sprocket without having to remove the rear wheel etc???

Many thanks in advance...

Kelly

#8 ·
Nah it's dead simple. All you'll need to do is take off two bolts that hold it on, give it a clean out (and the area around the chain as well), and put it back on. Have a look next time you're by the bike - you'll see what I mean.

#12 ·
:welcome: Same as Sky said, except I like this: Display device Technology Electronic device Font Auto part

WD-40 works well if you cant get kerosene.
And like BR said put down paper. Oh, and wear gloves to protect your manicure.:rolleyes:

#15 ·
I don't use it as a lube, it does a good job of breaking down old chain lube, just like kerosene, or stoddard solvent, or diesel fuel. Just putting it out there as an alternative if kerosene is not readily availble. I buy it in a jug and dip the brush in it or use a pump spray bottle. The aerosol is too messy. Works well on swingarms too, although I usually wipe that down with a rag and gas, gas is always on hand.

#21 ·
actually the best way to clean your chain is to have someone else do it...hopefully a good friend that just loves the look of a finely cleaned and lubed chain and will do it for free for the pure enjoyment...zing the considerate...

ps...if you know of such a person would you please refer him/her to me...zp...

#22 ·
Cleaned mine today. Disappointingly forgot to take a before picture but we've all seen a chain cake in old grease. Anyway was pretty happy to find a chrome chain underneath! Shinier than these pictures show as it was getting dark.

Tools: marigolds, scrubbing brush, bucket of hot car shampoo water and of course a paddock stand.

#28 ·
You can buy a jug of kerosene at Ace Hardware for like $8~10 and it will last you damn near forever. I use a little at a time in a elongated shallow tupperware dish (sorry babe:D). Pour a bit of kerosene in the dish, use a soft bristle brush and with the bike on a rear stand just sit there and go to town with the radio playing your favorite tunes. Dip...scrub...rotate wheel...dip...scrub...rotate wheel...dip..., well u get the picture. :)

I do that for about 20~30 min until the chain looks clean and shiny. Once that step is over, I put some clean kerosene in a spray bottle and rinse the chain spraying liberal amounts onto the chain and let any additional dirtyness drip away into the dish.

!Caution: I do not recommend this as it could potentially and has before caused bodily injury...
---I start up the bike and put it into gear and with low pressure air nozzle dry the chain. You could even use a leaf blower to blow out any remaining kerosene.--- I'm not responsible if you screw up and something ends up between your rear sprocket and chain. :nono:

After that I take it on a short ride trying to get up to speed to warm up the chain, 60~70mph for 2~3 miles and head right back for the rear stand.

I use DuPont Multi-Use Dry Wax Lubricant which keeps the chain clean as you ride and does not fling. It's amazing stuff.

It's very difficult to find now-a-days. I have 2 cans on my shelf which should last me a while.

Lubricate the warm chain liberally and there after every 2~300 miles. I squirt the chain usually every time I get through riding or at least once for every 1 to 2 tanks of gas.

:thumb:

#29 ·
You can buy a jug of kerosene at Ace Hardware for like $8~10 and it will last you damn near forever. I use a little at a time in a elongated shallow tupperware dish (sorry babe:D). Pour a bit of kerosene in the dish, use a soft bristle brush and with the bike on a rear stand just sit there and go to town with the radio playing your favorite tunes. Dip...scrub...rotate wheel...dip...scrub...rotate wheel...dip..., well u get the picture. :)

I do that for about 20~30 min until the chain looks clean and shiny. Once that step is over, I put some clean kerosene in a spray bottle and rinse the chain spraying liberal amounts onto the chain and let any additional dirtyness drip away into the dish.

!Caution: I do not recommend this as it could potentially and has before caused bodily injury...
---I start up the bike and put it into gear and with low pressure air nozzle dry the chain. You could even use a leaf blower to blow out any remaining kerosene.--- I'm not responsible if you screw up and something ends up between your rear sprocket and chain. :nono:

After that I take it on a short ride trying to get up to speed to warm up the chain, 60~70mph for 2~3 miles and head right back for the rear stand.

I use DuPont Multi-Use Dry Wax Lubricant which keeps the chain clean as you ride and does not fling. It's amazing stuff.

It's very difficult to find now-a-days. I have 2 cans on my shelf which should last me a while.

Lubricate the warm chain liberally and there after every 2~300 miles. I squirt the chain usually every time I get through riding or at least once for every 1 to 2 tanks of gas.

:thumb:

Fantastic advice !! :)

Cheers :hyper::hyper:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.