Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

cbr954 Not starting after replacing regulator rectifier

7K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  machinehead 
#1 ·
Any body with wisdom prepared to help?
I have a 954 03 model, was cutting out when I stopped after a hard ride. Battery usually also drained. Was informed to replace the rectifier. I bought a second hand one but the cables were too short. Bike shop said just cut and lengthen which I meticulously did. Now my bike wont start. It primes, lights gauges everything turns on but the motor wont turn over. Ho and I also replace with a new battery.

#2 ·
The charging system has nothing at all to do with starting or running the engine, all it does is charge the battery.
How much voltage have you got at the battery terminals and what does it drop to when you press the starter button?

#9 ·
If the engine is not turning over on the starter motor then it's a problem in the starter circuit, nothing to do with ignition.

#10 ·
Thanks very much for your assistance. However I may have been bit unclear as to the actual problem. Sorry - The bike is running now, with the new rectifier in, however I took it for a test earlier, rode for 10 mins, as soon as the bike was heated up it cut out at the first opportunity that I stopped. It starts very easily there after, previously it killed my battery.

Hope that helps, maybe suggestions? Thanks bud.

#11 ·
Whatever happened with this? My cbr 954 is having the same problem. I have replaced the battery, the stator, and the rectifier/ regulator. My bike will still not start. Before it was intermittently cutting out while riding and would kill the battery (two of them now, on my third).

This is driving my fuc%in nuts! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#13 ·
If your bike starts and runs fine when cool, then begins to cut out only after riding it, it sounds like a heat soak issue with your stator. Check the ohms of your stator. Check it again when hot. Compare those readings with the factory spec. Sounds like your stator is partially shorted, and further shorts out when it's getting hot. What does your spark look like both cold and once the issue arises when hot? Bright blue? Yellow? I'm guessing yellow. I think that you're losing spark due to a shorted (failing) stator.

#14 ·
or the non-start when hot could be completely unrelated to the charging circuit and is an electrical connection somewhere else which, when it is hot, is a bad connection (either supply voltage or an earth) or a sensor (cam shaft/crank shaft) going bad when hot (although this should through a fault code and the MIL would be lit)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.