How to track prep a bike... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-11-2004, 3:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

How to track prep a bike...

I'm looking to stick my 'blade on the track in a few weeks and in my niave novice state I am looking for info on what prep work needs to be done to get it track ready. I couldn't find anything in the KB. Anyone bored enough to lend advice on what's needed? I'd be happy gather the info and post it in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-11-2004, 3:07 PM

Re: How to track prep a bike...

Did a quick search and found this with track prep

prep
post #3 of 12 Old 03-11-2004, 3:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRWANTR
Did a quick search and found this with track prep

prep
Awesome find. What's funny is, I don't remember participating in that thread...uh-oh...sign of old age.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-11-2004, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonjester
Awesome find. What's funny is, I don't remember participating in that thread...uh-oh...sign of old age.

LOL...I didn't even read through it...but looked now and you posted a number of times...
post #5 of 12 Old 03-11-2004, 3:36 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Sure,

First, push it over on the right side. Pick it up, rise the side stand, and push it over on the left side. There. All ready. Now you don't have to worry about the pretty paint job, and you're all set to have fun.

Just kidding! I've done many track days without dropping it. Your mileage may vary. I've seen others drop it in the very first session. Ride your own ride. Use your own good judgement just like you do on the street.

You track club will have a web site that should give you the specific details of what they want you to do.

A common list would include:

The bike must be in sound shape, nothing falling off or broken.
Good near new tires.
Plenty of brake pad material left and a firm feeling brake lever.
Remove or tape over signals.
Remove mirrors.
Tape over tail light and headlight - Use 3m blue painters tape and remove fuses or bulbs so the tape won't bake on.
Some want you to tape over the speedo.
Chain and sprockets must be in good shape and in proper adjustment.

Depending on the club and which group you ride in, the following items may be required.

Safety wire your oil drain plug, oil filter and oil filler.
Back protector
Replace coolent with water, optionally adding Water Wetter.

That's about it for the bike.

Bring it with the tank full, plus a 6 gallon gas can. That is enough to make it though the day.

Bring shade, snacks, drink, chairs. I like to bring extra chairs for people that drop by.

Eat and drink as much as possible so you have enough energy to keep up your concentration.

Get as much sleep as you can. Get there early on your first day, so you are not in a rush. They will need to tech your bike.

Say "Hi" to everyone, be friendly, and have a great time.

Focus on riding smooth and relax on the bike. Not only is this the easiest way ride well and fast and safe, but it helps to conserve energy. The first times you go our, most of your energy is spent on the pure excitement of being there. It can be surprisingly draining to ride on the track, so try to rest up as much as you can before the track day and between sessions. If you get too tired and find yourself making significant errors, play it safe and rest for a session. It is so much fun that it is easy to deny how tired you are at the end of the day. Be aware of how you are feeling, and ride accordingly.

Yes, I am a track addict. I just signed up for 12 days this year. That will put me up to 42 track days on my trusty 929, if all goes well. It may be a bit pricey, but the memories will definately last a lifetime.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-11-2004, 4:17 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Symon,

You going to a specific track day? Myself and a bunch of friends are going to the Pacific Track Time day on April 28th at Thunderhill. It's a super cheap day with no frills (lunch etc.) Only 160 dollars! Think about it.

Pacific Track Time

-Shrub

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-11-2004, 6:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetShrub
Symon,

You going to a specific track day? Myself and a bunch of friends are going to the Pacific Track Time day on April 28th at Thunderhill. It's a super cheap day with no frills (lunch etc.) Only 160 dollars! Think about it.

Pacific Track Time

-Shrub
Thanks Shrub - what level are the riders? How do I sign up?
post #8 of 12 Old 03-11-2004, 7:06 PM

Reputation Power: 18

"Focus on riding smooth and relax on the bike. Not only is this the easiest way ride well and fast and safe, but it helps to conserve energy. The first times you go our, most of your energy is spent on the pure excitement of being there. It can be surprisingly draining to ride on the track, so try to rest up as much as you can before the track day and between sessions. If you get too tired and find yourself making significant errors, play it safe and rest for a session. It is so much fun that it is easy to deny how tired you are at the end of the day. Be aware of how you are feeling, and ride accordingly." QUOTE ZIPPY

I did my first track day at T-hill and wound up sitting out one of my sessions. I was completely wiped out after like two sessions and then braking drills in 105 degree heat.

Another great site to visit.

Throw off those chains of reason and your prison disappears...Peart

Last edited by CBRjack; 03-11-2004 at 7:08 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-11-2004, 7:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRjack
"Focus on riding smooth and relax on the bike. Not only is this the easiest way ride well and fast and safe, but it helps to conserve energy. The first times you go our, most of your energy is spent on the pure excitement of being there. It can be surprisingly draining to ride on the track, so try to rest up as much as you can before the track day and between sessions. If you get too tired and find yourself making significant errors, play it safe and rest for a session. It is so much fun that it is easy to deny how tired you are at the end of the day. Be aware of how you are feeling, and ride accordingly." QUOTE ZIPPY

I did my first track day at T-hill and wound up sitting out one of my sessions. I was completely wiped out after like two sessions and then braking drills in 105 degree heat.
Braking drills?? What are those?
post #10 of 12 Old 03-11-2004, 7:32 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonjester
Braking drills?? What are those?

That is a DP Safety School special. I did that as well my first time and nearly passed out. What a worthless drill. They make you ride to 30 mph and then lock up your rear brake so that you see what it feels like. Then they make you stop as quickly as possible from 30 mph to zero. Dumb. I didn't even do them all, I just left after a couple of them. You have to do them in full leathers and helmets.

Not very Web savvy are we Symon?

Just click anywhere on the picture once Pacific Track Times web page comes up. Then click on 2004 calendar. Then scroll down to April 28th and click on the Thunderhill words highlighted in blue. Then pick your session from the drop down menu. You want "C New Rider" for sure. Then fill out all the information including your credit card info to bill you for the track day. Once you click to complete the payment you are signed up. ...that easy.

-Shrub

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-11-2004, 7:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetShrub
Not very Web savvy are we Symon?
Too busy for my own good Guess I shouldn't be on here then eh Thanks for the info. I'm signing up for it today. Just need to get boots now.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-12-2004, 11:08 PM

Reputation Power: 18

[QUOTE=WetShrub]That is a DP Safety School special. I did that as well my first time and nearly passed out. What a worthless drill. They make you ride to 30 mph and then lock up your rear brake so that you see what it feels like. Then they make you stop as quickly as possible from 30 mph to zero. Dumb. I didn't even do them all, I just left after a couple of them. You have to do them in full leathers and helmets.

You hit that one on the head. It was DP safety school. Although I can see the benefit to a newbie it was torture to me. I think the braking drill is the sole reason I had to sit out a session.

Another great site to visit.

Throw off those chains of reason and your prison disappears...Peart

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page