shaping up to be the longest winter of my life... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 12-05-2014, 7:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

shaping up to be the longest winter of my life...

I've heard about old age all my life and somehow thought it would pass me by, a theory many of my friends and relatives thought as well but for reckless, not transcendental reasons...I started riding later than most and certainly got into cbr's later than most...now here I am staring at this latest winter with it's 6 months of no riding and it looks like a straight road running through the desert beyond the horizon and into eternity...

one of the last times I rode the cbr this year I opened it up and got the front tire off the ground second through 4th gear for the first time, just getting on it as I went into second gear after winding first out a bit...then I had to put it away for the season and the sensation of "lift off" has been with me ever since...

the forces of age are plotting against me my fine young friends...I am glad to be having a run at it and certainly don't begrudge anyone the time they have had and will have far reaching my short stint...I'm getting a suit and boots this winter and will stretch my horizons out as far as I can this coming riding season...but I have to say, it seems like such a far way off...zing of the road...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 12-05-2014, 8:39 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 271

Send a message via Skype™ to macca9540
Re: shaping up to be the longest winter of my life...

SIX MONTHS! Oh dear me Zing, I'm breaking out in a cold sweat just reading this.

I was young and stupid then. I'm old and stupid now.
We get too soon old, and too late smart.
I started off with nothing and still have most of it left.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
post #3 of 26 Old 12-05-2014, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Maybe you should plan a track day next year.
You got one life to live, this is it. Take it to the next level.
Just say'n....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 12-06-2014, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 48

i feel ya zing. after not having a bike for a few years n then getting the 954 just wasnt enough summer. i dont usually look forward to one season or the next very much, but ill be looking forward to this spring like i havent looked forward to one since i had my last bike.

hurry the [email protected] up already winter!

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #5 of 26 Old 12-06-2014, 2:42 AM

Reputation Power: 6

Same situation here. I use the winter hibernation time to plan upgrades. New suspension is this years plan. Ohlins front springs and a YSS rear shock are going on first week of spring. Not long now, only 3-4 months. Still, there's always Xbox and call of duty!
post #6 of 26 Old 12-06-2014, 7:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Maybe you should plan a track day next year.
You got one life to live, this is it. Take it to the next level.
Just say'n....
ain't gonna happen, not my idea of something to do and I like the open road...tracks by their very nature have lap times built into them...I used to run a lot, 5k's and such and it's hard not to time yourself and compare that time to others'...now I go to the gym and could care less what other people of any demographic do in any given time...I just work out...like riding, it's just me, the bike and the road (plus aholes in cameros, avengers, minivans, pickup trucks, and folks just not paying attention)...but I understand the sentiment...zing of the road...
post #7 of 26 Old 12-06-2014, 7:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Kevin View Post
i feel ya zing. after not having a bike for a few years n then getting the 954 just wasnt enough summer. i dont usually look forward to one season or the next very much, but ill be looking forward to this spring like i havent looked forward to one since i had my last bike.

hurry the [email protected] up already winter!
not enough summer just about says it all...only question is why do I live here in the frozen north...family ya know...I could go out west for forays into the big sky twisties but I don't travel well, and that sucks...zb...
post #8 of 26 Old 12-06-2014, 7:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SconuT View Post
Same situation here. I use the winter hibernation time to plan upgrades. New suspension is this years plan. Ohlins front springs and a YSS rear shock are going on first week of spring. Not long now, only 3-4 months. Still, there's always Xbox and call of duty!
I bring the bikes in and give them a complete cleaning (and inspection) tires if they need it, oil changes the day they come in and like that...my wife makes Christmas a month long diversion so that helps for a short time...

no can do the xbox stuff, I have a son in law (who is a smart lad) that has to be put in a decompression chamber if he goes more than 48 hours in the real world and that gives me pause enough not to go there...when I was your age I spent every spare moment on the rivers up north steelhead fishing or on some lost lake listening to the call of nature...

thinking about getting the ice fishing gear out of the shed for the first time in 20 years...zb...
post #9 of 26 Old 12-06-2014, 9:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14

Out of curiosity, how do you guys get the front tire off the ground through 3rd and 4th gear, when mine doesn't even come up when I snap the throttle open in the torque band in 2nd gear on my 954? Is it because I weigh 190lbs and you may be lighter, or do you guys have the newer blades that have like 20 more horsepower? Or a combination of the two...
post #10 of 26 Old 12-06-2014, 9:33 AM

Reputation Power: 10

Leaving the winter projects until after the first snow or NY's day, whichever comes first. Anticipating a New Years day ride...no matter how cold it is.

After that, the garage is cleaned up, we have tunes and heat. I'll plan on January thru early March for cleanup/fixup time. In early March I'm planning to head to Daytona with my sons and another riding bud. Three on the trailer, one in the back of the truck.

'03 954. Arata/Ladybird exhaust, K&N, PC3. Custom tuned by Dr Dyno.
On the bike since 1973.
post #11 of 26 Old 12-06-2014, 4:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zingblade View Post
ain't gonna happen, not my idea of something to do and I like the open road...tracks by their very nature have lap times built into them...I used to run a lot, 5k's and such and it's hard not to time yourself and compare that time to others'...
oh c'mon, it's all at your own pace...

post #12 of 26 Old 12-06-2014, 4:57 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by giosoccer20 View Post
Out of curiosity, how do you guys get the front tire off the ground through 3rd and 4th gear, when mine doesn't even come up when I snap the throttle open in the torque band in 2nd gear on my 954? Is it because I weigh 190lbs and you may be lighter, or do you guys have the newer blades that have like 20 more horsepower? Or a combination of the two...
the 954 is one of not the best wheelie machine ever built. must be your technique. i weigh 215 with gear so thats not your problem.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #13 of 26 Old 12-06-2014, 5:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeo View Post
oh c'mon, it's all at your own pace...
yes and where in the fook is that place, not within 300 miles of where I live I assure you...I have watched those videos until my eyes bleed and yes they do put the want in my blood but again, no where near here...

I could def get into the isle of man but again, I don't travel well...zp...

I stated earlier in this post to jd that "it ain't gonna happen"...i'll amend that to "could happen", especially after I've watched a couple hours of what you just utubed...zb...
post #14 of 26 Old 12-06-2014, 5:37 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

That was COTA in Austin, Texas. That looks like a really fun track.
post #15 of 26 Old 12-06-2014, 6:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
That was COTA in Austin, Texas. That looks like a really fun track.
oh oh, there is one about 150 miles from here...it's called "gingerman" in south haven Michigan...anyone know anything about it...2.2 mile track...their website is not real informative but i'll start clicking around and see what i can find out...zb...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page