maiden voyage! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-03-2015, 7:28 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 12-22-2014
Location: madison indiana
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7
     
maiden voyage!

So...I had big plans for my f2 this winter. I removed all the fairings and had aspirations to paint the bike whilst it was too cold to ride. At the same time, I planned on pulling the engine, and fixing 2nd gear(occasional pop out).

This all came to a screeching halt when I was blessed with a knee injury. During surgery to repair the two torn meniscus' I had, it was revealed that my ACL was MIA. Long story short, I've been laid up for awhile(almost two months). While I am a ton more mobile than I was, this healing process is all in vain, as I'm awaiting my second surgery(to repair the ACL), in which I can expect a couple more months of pain and healing.

Back to the bike. I had come to the conclusion: I could no longer physically do what's needed, nor would I have the finances, to get this thing ready to ride by the time weather was nice.

Being laid up got very boring. When I got to the point where I could confidently move around without crutches, I decided I would at least spend my time accomplishing something. It was time to put the bike back together. While putting fairings on a bike is a relatively simple task for any able bodied person, it was a bit of a struggle for me(not being able to bend, kneel, get down on the garage floor ect...) so I felt good about my accomplishment.

I ordered a few dress up pieces for the bike, so having the fairings off weren't completely in vain. I bought new oem replacement smoked front turn signal lenses, clear led taillight, handle bar ends..small, simple stuff. It's amazing how just a couple items change the whole look of the bike.

Anyways.. Got it back together last night, went out tonight to start it up, let it run and warm up, and got the itch..Lol. it's not too chilly here this evening, actually rather pleasant. Roads are wet due to recent rain, but I said screw it. It took me a few to comfortably hike my leg over, but I took it out for a spin. Just rode around the block...twice. it's my left knee that's injured, so shifting was difficult(didn't make it past second lol) but all in all, I rode for approx 6 minutes. Might I add, that it was the absolute best 6 minutes I've ever spent on my bike.

I felt like a noob on his first time out ever. I was favoring my left leg, so slightly leaning right. My balance was off. Still, either way, a very enjoyable ride no matter how short or clumsy.

I just wanted to share this story with everyone, because I've still got butterflies in my stomach. So excited...

Thanks for reading.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
joebert is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 01-03-2015, 7:37 PM
 
Join Date: 03-18-2014
Location: USA
Posts: 831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
                     
Re: maiden voyage!

I'm in the same boat, but I haven't had surgery yet. I wear a knee brace constantly while trying to find insurance I can afford in this screwed up government care system that someone "rigged" together that should have never made a second term. Anyway, I shift up lifting my knee, you can adjust the lever to get your foot under it easier.

Working on bikes routinely, a cheap lift from Harbor Freight is priceless. I went tall enduro for more leg room temporarily. (Rotella oil jug in background is NOT for the bike)

Congratulations on your ride and efforts.
Attached Thumbnails
klr 002.JPG‎  

Last edited by blunt; 01-03-2015 at 7:49 PM.
blunt is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 01-03-2015, 7:55 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 12-22-2014
Location: madison indiana
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7
     
Re: maiden voyage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunt View Post
I'm in the same boat, but I haven't had surgery yet. I wear a knee brace constantly while trying to find insurance I can afford in this screwed up government care system that someone "rigged" together that should have never made a second term. Anyway, I shift up lifting my knee, you can adjust the lever to get your foot under it easier.

Working on bikes routinely, a cheap lift from Harbor Freight is priceless. I went tall enduro for more leg room temporarily. (Rotella oil jug in background is NOT for the bike)
Have they determined what's actually wrong with your knee yet? I agree on the insurance, it's insane. I'm actually without right now too, so this first surgery is sure going to cost me. I wasn't able to wait until I found insurance, due to having the compound injury left me with 0% mobility. I couldn't put any pressure on that leg whatsoever. It was even impossible to slip shoes on. They had to go ahead with surgery.

The lift is a brilliant idea. How much does that one run($)?

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
joebert is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 01-03-2015, 8:13 PM
 
Join Date: 03-18-2014
Location: USA
Posts: 831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
                     
Re: maiden voyage!

I paid (with a 20% off coupon in the back of a cycle mag) $277 out the door for the lift during one of their July 4 tool sale flyers, and they combine discounts!

I had knee surgery once before back in 2000 for an ACL, and it failed about a year ago, just as the doctor said it would. With a knee that wasn't so tightly held together, pushing a bike up a lift at work did me in for what felt like the knee moving to the side than forward and back. (boss doesn't carry any insurance at the shop, typical frugal business owner type) I bought the brace at a medical supply store and started looking for coverage. Most plans I looked at so far, are $600-1000 a month.
blunt is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 01-03-2015, 8:31 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 12-22-2014
Location: madison indiana
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7
     
Re: maiden voyage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunt View Post
I paid (with a 20% off coupon in the back of a cycle mag) $277 out the door for the lift during one of their July 4 tool sale flyers, and they combine discounts!

I had knee surgery once before back in 2000 for an ACL, and it failed about a year ago, just as the doctor said it would. With a knee that wasn't so tightly held together, pushing a bike up a lift at work did me in for what felt like the knee moving to the side than forward and back. (boss doesn't carry any insurance at the shop, typical frugal business owner type) I bought the brace at a medical supply store and started looking for coverage. Most plans I looked at so far, are $600-1000 a month.
Wow that's crazy. What a deal. I'll be keeping my eye out!

As far as the injury... I can relate to the sideways movement with the torn ACL. My knee still feels unstable and wants to buckle under pressure because it feels like it's kicking to the side. I was given(I say this, but I'm sure I paid a healthy chunk) a soft brace with metal rods on either side on hinges, after the first surgery. It has been a life saver(or knee saver, lol) during recovery.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
joebert is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 01-03-2015, 11:48 PM
 
Join Date: 05-27-2014
Location: Magnet Indiana
Age: 40
Posts: 3,522
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 48
                     
Re: maiden voyage!

congratulations on your ride tho joe! even a small victory is still a victory. i know exactly the feeling youve described about getting back on a bike after being forced off one a while. sure does feel good!


yep, knee injuries suck. i completely mangled mine in a bad car wreck a few years ago. its been acting up pretty well the last 3 or 4 days. it bends easy enough n feels fine until i straighten it out. then a pain begins to build over the next 20-30 seconds that literally leaves me squirming at its peak. then it just fades away over the next 20-30 seconds.

i feel lucky to have good health insurance but i havent been to the doctor about it yet. stubborn i guess. it comes n goes tho. sometimes itll be like that for a couple weeks in a row every time i straighten my leg n other times its fine. i guess if it gets so it stays that way much longer ill go let them poke around on it. they also predicted id need more surgery eventually n i guess im living in denial about it.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
954Kevin is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 01-04-2015, 7:21 PM
 
Join Date: 03-18-2014
Location: USA
Posts: 831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
                     
Re: maiden voyage!

That's what I need, a car wreck to cover this! Kevin, knees never get better by themselves. I've already prolonged the pain for about a year. Now I can hardly walk on it. I have similar symptoms. I wonder how many times they can go in there and take things out?
blunt is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 01-04-2015, 8:33 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 12-22-2014
Location: madison indiana
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7
     
Re: maiden voyage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Kevin View Post
congratulations on your ride tho joe! even a small victory is still a victory. i know exactly the feeling youve described about getting back on a bike after being forced off one a while. sure does feel good!


yep, knee injuries suck. i completely mangled mine in a bad car wreck a few years ago. its been acting up pretty well the last 3 or 4 days. it bends easy enough n feels fine until i straighten it out. then a pain begins to build over the next 20-30 seconds that literally leaves me squirming at its peak. then it just fades away over the next 20-30 seconds.

i feel lucky to have good health insurance but i havent been to the doctor about it yet. stubborn i guess. it comes n goes tho. sometimes itll be like that for a couple weeks in a row every time i straighten my leg n other times its fine. i guess if it gets so it stays that way much longer ill go let them poke around on it. they also predicted id need more surgery eventually n i guess im living in denial about it.
It can only get worse, I would take care of it as soon as possible. May save yourself in the long run from any further damage, especially while you have good insurance. You can never tell these days..

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunt View Post
That's what I need, a car wreck to cover this! Kevin, knees never get better by themselves. I've already prolonged the pain for about a year. Now I can hardly walk on it. I have similar symptoms. I wonder how many times they can go in there and take things out?
you would think eventually they would need to add in things! Lol

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
joebert is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
first maiden journey after 7 long dark years patch10 Honda FireBlade 29 01-20-2015 7:06 AM
"Maiden Flight" Ride on my Fireblade, onboard Video & pics DukeCBR2008 Honda FireBlade 12 09-06-2011 5:57 AM
Warbird Racing's Maiden Flight Heavy-Dee Road Racing: Club / Amateur 21 04-19-2005 6:20 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome