cbr 954 mystery - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 03-21-2016, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

cbr 954 mystery

I have an 03 954 when i throttle it loses power sputters and like boggs out. I can go over 130 and 9000 rpms in 6th. I have replaced the fuel filter tthe pressure regulator and cleaned the injectors with lucas and sea foam. I still cant figure out what it may be. Also if i hold it at a rev you can hear the engine dying out like its not getting propper fuel. I pulled the spark plugs they appear to be fine.. and my gas mileage is TERRIBLE right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-21-2016, 2:25 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Re: cbr 954 mystery

Sounds like fuel starvation and the only thing you haven't checked or replaced is the fuel pump itself, and the fuel pump relay,fuse and wiring.

Measure the voltage across the pump with it running, it should be very close to the battery voltage. If not then follow the wiring back and check voltages at both sides of the relay and the fuse to find out where the voltage drop is coming from.

If the pump voltage is ok, it could just be a bad pump.
post #3 of 25 Old 03-21-2016, 2:31 PM Thread Starter

I am agreeing with you... it could verry well be the pump.. the bike sat for 3-4 months with no start. And gas sitting in it. It had rust sand and paint chips in the tank. Of course i cleaned it all out... but yesterday i took off the fuel pump for inspection and the top of it was covered in dirt and grime. So im wondering if it has to do with that.. cause it seems to prime fine.. but the delivery is were im having the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 03-21-2016, 2:39 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksizem1 View Post
I am agreeing with you... it could verry well be the pump.. the bike sat for 3-4 months with no start. And gas sitting in it. It had rust sand and paint chips in the tank. Of course i cleaned it all out... but yesterday i took off the fuel pump for inspection and the top of it was covered in dirt and grime. So im wondering if it has to do with that.. cause it seems to prime fine.. but the delivery is were im having the issue.
ill agree the next logical step is probably a fuel flow/pressure check. the procedure is outlined well in the service manual. you can find the service manual several places online as a free pdf download. youll find the info on page 5-57.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #5 of 25 Old 03-21-2016, 9:47 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE- So im riding home from work hit 5th gear engine everything runs great. This is not the 1st time this has happened though. Next time i hit the throttle in 6th gear it will probably start acting up again. Like it did before. Anything that stands out as far as the problem goes? Now like i said before this fuel system was crazy dirty when i got it i been trying to clean it out since.
post #6 of 25 Old 03-22-2016, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE- Still running strong after a 70 mile rude last night. Im going to put racing fuel in it today. Hopefully if it just needs to burn off **** that will help. Anybody know the mix ratio for racing fuel?
post #7 of 25 Old 03-22-2016, 9:00 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE- GOT IT UP TO 167 TODAY. DECIDED TO PUT SOME 110 OCTANE SEE IF IT WILL HELP BURN SOME **** OUTA THER.. BUT I STIL FEEL IM NOT GETTING PROPPER GAS MILEAGE.
post #8 of 25 Old 03-22-2016, 9:46 PM

some racing gas tells you to drain after the race. What does the can say? I think it does a number on rubber and brass.

even though the plugs look clean, where is the valve lash, where are the compression numbers?
post #9 of 25 Old 03-23-2016, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
some racing gas tells you to drain after the race. What does the can say? I think it does a number on rubber and brass.

even though the plugs look clean, where is the valve lash, where are the compression numbers?
UPDATE- SO IM RIDING TO WORK BOYS IN BLUE GET BEHIND ME I SMASH ON EM HIT 135 IN 6TH AND SAME ****.. IT STARTED AGAIN.

AND WHAT DO YU MEAN THE VALVE LASH QND COMPRESSION VALVE. HOW DO I CHECK/FIND THAT?
post #10 of 25 Old 03-23-2016, 3:55 PM
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59

if you're runnin' from the cops @ 135, you have nothing to worry about concerning valve lash, compression, nor leak-down. party on

non-Honda fleet: EX250JAF, VL1500LC, ZX600-E1, ZX600-E12
"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
post #11 of 25 Old 03-23-2016, 4:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unslow1 View Post
if you're runnin' from the cops @ 135, you have nothing to worry about concerning valve lash, compression, nor leak-down. party on
But the bike is topping out at 135 and doesnt go past 9000 rpms thats the problem. And it sputters when accelerating. It sounds more like a v twin than a 954 wich makes me believe its in the fuel system somewhere
post #12 of 25 Old 03-23-2016, 4:22 PM

THE BEST WAY TO CHECK/FIND VALVE CLEARANCES IS DONT RUN FROM THE COPS.

seriously, is a traffic stop worth endangering your own life and that of fellow motorist including the officer?

riding a bike at high rates of speed takes a calm level head to use the skill it requires. running from the rollers doesnt exactly put your head in the state of mind it should be for pushing the envelope of speed. fear and adrenaline arent your allies at those speeds. real talk. and on a bike youve been having trouble with? im not trying to tell you how to live bro, but if you follow my advice you just might live longer and outside of a 6x8.

we all speed at some point on our bikes. excessively even. on the street isnt the smartest place to do so but if a sportbike rider told me they never did id call them a liar. if you cant afford to pay a speeding ticket or impound fees and possibly bail money for a reckless driving charge you shouldnt be out runnin hot. try n make better decisions next time for your own sake and mine.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #13 of 25 Old 03-23-2016, 4:28 PM Thread Starter

Look im not trying to be rude thnx for the advice. But i need help fixing this problem not riding my bike.. So if yu can help plz n thnx.

PEACE AND BLESSINGS TO ALL RIDE HARD AND RIDE SAFE!!
post #14 of 25 Old 03-23-2016, 4:31 PM

have you flow checked the fuel pump like i suggested? ill agree it sounds fuel related and you mentioned putting a new fpr in. also mentioned the tank being mucky. we are going to need a fuel flow reading to determine if the fuel pump is working correctly.

post #15 of 25 Old 03-23-2016, 4:39 PM Thread Starter

Look im not trying to be rude thnx for the advice. But i need help fixing this problem not riding my bike.. So if yu can help plz n thnx.

PEACE AND BLESSINGS TO ALL RIDE HARD AND RIDE SAFE!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Tags
fuel issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page