Wash time. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

User Tag List

13Likes
  • 2 Post By Gunk
  • 2 Post By IanDoohan
  • 6 Post By Rumkosteve
  • 2 Post By nigelrb
  • 1 Post By bladerunnerrr

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-27-2019, 8:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Wash time.

Just as a general enquiry, what process do you guys all follow to give your bikes that showroom shine?
Any pitfalls to cleaning a bike? Any products/polishes you all recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-27-2019, 2:23 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Garage
Re: Wash time.

Basically I try not to use a hose or jet wash, I start with a bucket of warm soapy water (usually car wash) start at the top and work down, I use WD 40 or Brake cleaner to get rid of any stubborn grease. I then swap to a bucket of clean water and a chamois leather to dry it all off and once it’s dry some Autoglym super resin polish on the plastic and Autoglym bumper dressing on any black plastics.

Once a year I try to remove all the lower fairings and front and rear wheels just to give it a super-deep clean.

Then it pisses down half way through a ride and wonder why I bothered (this happened to me on my Triumph yesterday)
MrPickwick and Firebladepully like this.

1993 CBR900 RR P
1994 CBR900 RR R Urban Tiger Project (now sold)
post #3 of 6 Old 05-28-2019, 4:07 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 101

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthapple View Post
Just as a general enquiry, what process do you guys all follow to give your bikes that showroom shine?
Any pitfalls to cleaning a bike? Any products/polishes you all recommend?
I tend to not “wash” the bike as a whole. I’ve learned over time living with polished frames and swing arms that good time spent with a spray detailer (spray wax/cleaner combination) works the best. Kind of as Gunk said, when I use a hose or soap bucket, I have to make sure it gets dry in every crevice. So I would overly rinse the bike and then use my backpack leaf blower to replicate the wind from a ride to get all the water off. Then a detail with the micro fiber etc.

Using the spray cleaner allows me to target areas (wheels for example), without having the entire bike soaked and soaped. It also cuts down on dry time.

I almost always go for the “detail” type of cleaning this way, but it also works great for that “quick ride” clean in case you need to impress someone at a spur of the moment destination lol
Gunk and MrPickwick like this.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-30-2019, 4:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Garage

I'm a firm believer in lots of small, low effort maintenance rather than a few massive blitz jobs. This means reasonably regular 'quick' washes to keep the overall grime and bugs down, plus regular component cleaning. This involves taking a thing off the bike and cleaning it and putting it back. Last week, I pulled the back wheel off and cleaned the rear swing arm. This weekend, I will pop the front brake calipers off and give them a scrub. etc. Takes an hour every weekend to keep everything shiny and allows me to keep right on top of all maintenance. I know what's looking like it will need replacing soon or is fine for a few thousand miles more. It helps if you enjoy this sort of tinkering as it's kind of a philosophy based on the journey rather than a goal...
post #5 of 6 Old 05-31-2019, 4:07 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 5

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb

I'm a non-hose person too.

TWo buckets, one with car wash and one clean water. My bikes never see rain or wet roads so I am an exception to having to remove heavy grime. As already stated, damp cloths and surprisingly to some, Mr Sheen is a great 'interim' polish and supplement to the better proprietary waxes.
IanDoohan and jjbmxer like this.

2018 CBR1000RR SP2 / 2011 CBR1000RR / 2004 CBR1000RR / 2003 CBR954RR / 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R / 1985 Honda NS400R
2007 MV F4 1000R
post #6 of 6 Old 07-09-2019, 3:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Garage

Bucket man here! I don't like using any kind of high pressure hoses, let alone power washer, to clean up the bike. I give it a maintenance wash about once a week or so, or anytime after I get caught in the rain.
IanDoohan likes this.

"You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding." ― Anonymous

Current love — 2006 Honda Fireblade 1000RR
~24k and counting
~Integrated taillight
~Flush mount turn signals
~HID 8k headlights
~Enter moto guides

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page