Will SC33 Petcock fit SC28 Tank? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 08-12-2019, 2:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Will SC33 Petcock fit SC28 Tank?

I've deleted the fuel pump on my SC28 for simplicity and weight. I understand a lot of people simply route the petcock directly to the carbs on SC28s to bypass the pump, but I'd like to do it properly with an OEM vaccuum operated petcock and I thought the SC33 would be a good place to start looking?

I also need a new tank petcock strainer but noticed the SC33 has a different part number than the SC28 for the strainer. Was hoping to just find a complete petcock/strainer assembly form an SC33 and bolt it into my SC28 tank.

Anyone have experience with this?

Last edited by dualheadlamps; 08-12-2019 at 2:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-12-2019, 9:09 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage
Re: Will SC33 Petcock fit SC28 Tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualheadlamps View Post
I've deleted the fuel pump on my SC28 for simplicity and weight. I understand a lot of people simply route the petcock directly to the carbs on SC28s to bypass the pump, but I'd like to do it properly with an OEM vaccuum operated petcock and I thought the SC33 would be a good place to start looking?

I also need a new tank petcock strainer but noticed the SC33 has a different part number than the SC28 for the strainer. Was hoping to just find a complete petcock/strainer assembly form an SC33 and bolt it into my SC28 tank.

Anyone have experience with this?
I had an SC33 petcock on my 93 due to deleting the fuel pump. It does fit, but the strainer is different because its longer on the SC28 due to a change in the hump on the tank. The SC33 strainer also changes the amount of reserve available due to the length of the brass inlet tube when it comes time to switch over. Its no big deal though, it was never a problem for me. The complete fuel valve assembly if still available from Honda should come with the strainer as well.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #3 of 17 Old 08-12-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
I had an SC33 petcock on my 93 due to deleting the fuel pump. It does fit, but the strainer is different because its longer on the SC28 due to a change in the hump on the tank. The SC33 strainer also changes the amount of reserve available due to the length of the brass inlet tube when it comes time to switch over. Its no big deal though, it was never a problem for me. The complete fuel valve assembly if still available from Honda should come with the strainer as well.
Thanks for the help! So as suspected, the strainers should match the petcocks as their heights can vary. I was about to order a complete SC33 petcock assembly (with strainer) thinking they'd me the same price as the SC28, but it's more than triple!

Might have to try and find a used OEM SC33 petcock and order a new SC33 strainer.

Now I know the SC33 petcock fits, thanks. I'm assuming you also had the SC33 strainer with the SC33 petcock on your SC28?
IanDoohan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 08-12-2019, 10:49 PM

Garage

Quote:
Thanks for the help! So as suspected, the strainers should match the petcocks as their heights can vary. I was about to order a complete SC33 petcock assembly (with strainer) thinking they'd me the same price as the SC28, but it's more than triple!

Might have to try and find a used OEM SC33 petcock and order a new SC33 strainer.

Now I know the SC33 petcock fits, thanks. I'm assuming you also had the SC33 strainer with the SC33 petcock on your SC28?
Yes I did.

post #5 of 17 Old 09-11-2019, 3:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I had an SC33 petcock on my 93 due to deleting the fuel pump. It does fit, but the strainer is different because its longer on the SC28 due to a change in the hump on the tank. The SC33 strainer also changes the amount of reserve available due to the length of the brass inlet tube when it comes time to switch over. Its no big deal though, it was never a problem for me.
Hey Ian, which plastic petcock lever did you use on the SC28 when using the SC33 petcock? Do they share the same "one corner rounded square" pattern? SC33 lever right length for SC28 frame? Arrow points in the correct direction if interchangeable?
post #6 of 17 Old 09-11-2019, 4:13 PM Thread Starter

So I'm on ebay looking at magnesium valve covers... (long story, seller I bought other items from has a few cheap)

95-97 share same part number. 98-99 have a new part number.

But they all share the same gasket, way back to 1993...

What's happening?

Is the 98-99 superior design, or just a design change necessary for accommodating the different engine? Will it fit 93-97?
post #7 of 17 Old 09-11-2019, 6:15 PM

Garage

Quote:
Hey Ian, which plastic petcock lever did you use on the SC28 when using the SC33 petcock? Do they share the same "one corner rounded square" pattern? SC33 lever right length for SC28 frame? Arrow points in the correct direction if interchangeable?
I used the SC33 arrow knob. Same knob and fit, and it doesn't have the giant "circle" of extra plastic all around it. Yes, arrow down is on.

post #8 of 17 Old 09-11-2019, 6:22 PM

Garage

Quote:
So I'm on ebay looking at magnesium valve covers... (long story, seller I bought other items from has a few cheap)

What's happening?

Is the 98-99 superior design, or just a design change necessary for accommodating the different engine? Will it fit 93-97?
The cover is the same I guess 92-94 in aluminum, then 95 went to magnesium, then 98-99 went to having "MAGNESIUM" cast into it and the internal crankcase breather was changed slightly (the rise by cylinder #4 ). I know that as I powder coated both of mine, and had a ridiculously hard time sourcing a gasket for the crankcase breather diffuser cover on the inside of the cam cover.

Those are the only changes as far as I know. All years should work on any year.

post #9 of 17 Old 09-12-2019, 5:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I used the SC33 arrow knob. Same knob and fit, and it doesn't have the giant "circle" of extra plastic all around it. Yes, arrow down is on.
Thank god, when I first got my SC28 I thought it had some crappy aftermarket knob on it, still find it hard to believe Honda designed that thing. The SC33 petcock I have on the way has the SC33 knob, fingers crossed it doesn't need a rebuild.

How/where do you recommend I tap into my vacuum lines for the new petcock? Any factory location I can steal a T off of?
post #10 of 17 Old 09-12-2019, 5:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

What's happening?

Quote:
The cover is the same I guess 92-94 in aluminum, then 95 went to magnesium, then 98-99 went to having "MAGNESIUM" cast into it and the internal crankcase breather was changed slightly (the rise by cylinder #4 ). I know that as I powder coated both of mine, and had a ridiculously hard time sourcing a gasket for the crankcase breather diffuser cover on the inside of the cam cover.

Those are the only changes as far as I know. All years should work on any year.
Bi-mistakenly posted in this thread, meant to go in my other one. Will copy and paste these quotes.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-12-2019, 8:12 AM

Garage

Quote:
Thank god, when I first got my SC28 I thought it had some crappy aftermarket knob on it, still find it hard to believe Honda designed that thing. The SC33 petcock I have on the way has the SC33 knob, fingers crossed it doesn't need a rebuild.

How/where do you recommend I tap into my vacuum lines for the new petcock? Any factory location I can steal a T off of?
I took one of the small Phillips screws out of the #2 port for where you hook up your vacuum gauges for a carb sync. I used a genuine Honda brass threaded nipple that you should be able to order from Partzilla. The SC28’s actually came with them (if it’s not missing like mine was) with a black rubber cap on them, but here is the part number. 16214-MB0-000
Duncan893 likes this.

post #12 of 17 Old 09-13-2019, 2:20 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 1

Hello Ian, Why did Honda provide only one brass nozzle? What test or setting is it for?

I've just swapped my vacuum balance port bolts for stainless ones.
#1 cylinder was a brass nozzle with a rubber cap.
#2-3-4 were all (corroded) Allen Bolts
To balance the carbs, I needed 4 nozzles to connect the tubes to all ports simultaneously.

So, what would the single OE nozzle be used for?
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2019-09-13 at 19.03.33.png‎   Screenshot 2019-09-13 at 19.13.38.png‎  
post #13 of 17 Old 09-13-2019, 4:32 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan893 View Post
Hello Ian, Why did Honda provide only one brass nozzle? What test or setting is it for?

I've just swapped my vacuum balance port bolts for stainless ones.
#1 cylinder was a brass nozzle with a rubber cap.
#2-3-4 were all (corroded) Allen Bolts
To balance the carbs, I needed 4 nozzles to connect the tubes to all ports simultaneously.

So, what would the single OE nozzle be used for?
Hi Duncan, no reasonable explanation at all I'm afraid. It serves no purpose at all on its own.
Duncan893 likes this.

post #14 of 17 Old 09-13-2019, 5:08 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 1

Quote:
Hi Duncan, no reasonable explanation at all I'm afraid. It serves no purpose at all on its own.
Huh. Looks like we need Baba-san’s e-mail address!?! 😉
IanDoohan likes this.
post #15 of 17 Old 09-13-2019, 5:16 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan893 View Post
Huh. Looks like we need Baba-san’s e-mail address!?! 😉
Man, if I could dial him up I would.....
Duncan893 likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page