Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Help Quick! 1993-1994 SC28 vs 1995? :S

7K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  dualheadlamps 
#1 · (Edited)
There's what looks to be a good 1995 on the market locally to me, want to act quickly! Reason for the brash title, my apologies.

I'm trying to figure out the early Fireblade's generation differences, and I'm a bit confused.

What exactly are all the differences between the 1993 900RR and the 1995 900RR?

Is the 1995 "fox-eye" model an SC28 or an SC33?

I initially thought 1995s were an SC33 due to the front upper cowl, but now see that I may be wrong.

Therefore, if I were to change the upper cowl and associated parts (fairing stay, mirror support, etc), I should be able to convert a 1995 into what looks like an early model dual headlamp SC28. Can someone confirm if this is true? I know the early front upper cowls in good shape are rare as hen's teeth. It appears the rest of the fairings on the 1995 match the 1993?

If I'm figuring this out correctly, I should be able to make my dream SC28 by just swapping front fairing parts (double adjustable front forks, magnesium head, etc.). Yes I know I'll have to do something about the paint and decals but mechanically I should have the best factory SC28 with my preferred dual headlamp fairing?

Any information greatly appreciated, sooner the better!

See less See more
#4 ·
SC28 for the US encompasses 93-95.

SC33 for the US encompasses 96-99 (with changes in 98-99).

SC28 for the US in 93-94 were basically identical round eye blades, with no visual changes other than colors.

SC28 for the US in 95 changed to the foxeye upper headlight fairing, aluminum mirror stay, compression damping on the forks, the electronic sprocket speedo sensor, and the updated gauge set with the row if idiot lights versus the top and bottom one. Frame and swingarm were the same as 93-94.

SC33 for the US in 96-97 saw the new frame and swingarm, minor interior engine changes, TPS on the carbs, the same foxeye fairing as the 95, although the fuel tank shape was changed and the upper mirror stay now bolted to the tank mounts.

SC33 for the US in 98-99 saw a revised frame stiffness back to replicate the SC28, anther new upper fairing and fox eye headlight (more angled), a new tail section fairing, more internal engine mods, an all electronic dash set, speedo sensor on the crankcase, larger front brake disks (310mm), better front calipers, more trail, wider spaced forks in the triple clamps, and a more plush seating position.

All of these models 93-99 had the 16" front wheel, although different versions throughout the years.

I may be late, but I hope that helps you.

#8 ·
This is exactly the information I need, thanks. Seller went AWOL on me mid contact, guessing it's probably sold, time will tell.

I'm assuming these details aren't a full comprehensive list? Did the 95 get a magnesium head?

Were all mid and lower fairings the same all the way up to 99?

#6 ·
Thanks for the info doohan. Also, Honda reused many parts from 93-99 so it's worth looking at a part diagram to see what part numbers remain.
Doing so yields mounting locations for fairings from 93-99 being the same but tanks differing greatly. You could make a any one of those years look like any other without swapping frame or subframe. Again, tank mounting and shape differ greatly over those years but some mounts can be modified to fit but some shapes aren't compatible with other models.

#7 ·
This is true to a point, I have a 96 SC33 tank on my SC28 93, having had to modify the frame at the neck to accept the change in the front mounting point from 1 centered bolt hole, to 2 offset holes. Putting an SC28 tank on an SC33 frame however, would be going backwards in my opinion.

#11 ·
The UK 1994 RR-R definitely had a magnesium cam cover. Our ‘94 is your ‘95

I personally wouldn’t get too hung up about the difference between the early bikes and the ,95/‘96 blades, they are very minor detail changes. My 93 rides just as well, if not better than my old ‘94. I really can’t tell much difference.

#18 ·
So I'm on ebay looking at magnesium valve covers... (long story, seller I bought other items from has a few cheap)

95-97 share same part number. 98-99 have a new part number.

But they all share the same gasket, way back to 1993...

What's happening?

Is the 98-99 superior design, or just a design change necessary for accommodating the different engine? Will it fit 93-97?
The cover is the same I guess 92-94 in aluminum, then 95 went to magnesium, then 98-99 went to having "MAGNESIUM" cast into it and the internal crankcase breather was changed slightly (the rise by cylinder #4 ). I know that as I powder coated both of mine, and had a ridiculously hard time sourcing a gasket for the crankcase breather diffuser cover on the inside of the cam cover.

Those are the only changes as far as I know. All years should work on any year.
Thanks Ian. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.