Help Quick! 1993-1994 SC28 vs 1995? :S - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

User Tag List

 22Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 08-17-2019, 1:12 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 08-12-2019
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Help Quick! 1993-1994 SC28 vs 1995? :S

There's what looks to be a good 1995 on the market locally to me, want to act quickly! Reason for the brash title, my apologies.

I'm trying to figure out the early Fireblade's generation differences, and I'm a bit confused.

What exactly are all the differences between the 1993 900RR and the 1995 900RR?

Is the 1995 "fox-eye" model an SC28 or an SC33?



I initially thought 1995s were an SC33 due to the front upper cowl, but now see that I may be wrong.

Therefore, if I were to change the upper cowl and associated parts (fairing stay, mirror support, etc), I should be able to convert a 1995 into what looks like an early model dual headlamp SC28. Can someone confirm if this is true? I know the early front upper cowls in good shape are rare as hen's teeth. It appears the rest of the fairings on the 1995 match the 1993?

If I'm figuring this out correctly, I should be able to make my dream SC28 by just swapping front fairing parts (double adjustable front forks, magnesium head, etc.). Yes I know I'll have to do something about the paint and decals but mechanically I should have the best factory SC28 with my preferred dual headlamp fairing?


Any information greatly appreciated, sooner the better!

Last edited by dualheadlamps; 08-17-2019 at 1:56 PM.
dualheadlamps is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 08-17-2019, 2:17 PM
Supporting Member
 
Gunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-22-2015
Location: Oxford, UK
Age: 54
Posts: 2,024
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 23
                     
Garage
Re: Help Quick! 1993-1994 SC28 vs 1995? :S

This may help.

Honda
dualheadlamps likes this.

1993 CBR900 RR P
1994 CBR900 RR R Urban Tiger Project (now sold)
Gunk is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 08-17-2019, 2:29 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 08-12-2019
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Help Quick! 1993-1994 SC28 vs 1995? :S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post
This may help.

Honda
Thanks, appreciate the effort but didn't really help much.

I notice model years differ slightly between European and US bikes, I'm in North America if that matters.
dualheadlamps is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 Old 08-17-2019, 9:23 PM
President: Team Full Chat
 
IanDoohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-2013
Location: Connecticut,USA
Age: 47
Posts: 7,028
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102
                     
Garage
Re: Help Quick! 1993-1994 SC28 vs 1995? :S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualheadlamps View Post
There's what looks to be a good 1995 on the market locally to me, want to act quickly! Reason for the brash title, my apologies.

I'm trying to figure out the early Fireblade's generation differences, and I'm a bit confused.

What exactly are all the differences between the 1993 900RR and the 1995 900RR?

Is the 1995 "fox-eye" model an SC28 or an SC33?



I initially thought 1995s were an SC33 due to the front upper cowl, but now see that I may be wrong.

Therefore, if I were to change the upper cowl and associated parts (fairing stay, mirror support, etc), I should be able to convert a 1995 into what looks like an early model dual headlamp SC28. Can someone confirm if this is true? I know the early front upper cowls in good shape are rare as hen's teeth. It appears the rest of the fairings on the 1995 match the 1993?

If I'm figuring this out correctly, I should be able to make my dream SC28 by just swapping front fairing parts (double adjustable front forks, magnesium head, etc.). Yes I know I'll have to do something about the paint and decals but mechanically I should have the best factory SC28 with my preferred dual headlamp fairing?


Any information greatly appreciated, sooner the better!
SC28 for the US encompasses 93-95.

SC33 for the US encompasses 96-99 (with changes in 98-99).

SC28 for the US in 93-94 were basically identical round eye blades, with no visual changes other than colors.

SC28 for the US in 95 changed to the foxeye upper headlight fairing, aluminum mirror stay, compression damping on the forks, the electronic sprocket speedo sensor, and the updated gauge set with the row if idiot lights versus the top and bottom one. Frame and swingarm were the same as 93-94.

SC33 for the US in 96-97 saw the new frame and swingarm, minor interior engine changes, TPS on the carbs, the same foxeye fairing as the 95, although the fuel tank shape was changed and the upper mirror stay now bolted to the tank mounts.

SC33 for the US in 98-99 saw a revised frame stiffness back to replicate the SC28, anther new upper fairing and fox eye headlight (more angled), a new tail section fairing, more internal engine mods, an all electronic dash set, speedo sensor on the crankcase, larger front brake disks (310mm), better front calipers, more trail, wider spaced forks in the triple clamps, and a more plush seating position.

All of these models 93-99 had the 16" front wheel, although different versions throughout the years.

I may be late, but I hope that helps you.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Cafť 900RRP
IanDoohan is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 08-18-2019, 2:29 AM
Supporting Member
 
nigelrb's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-16-2019
Location: Worcester, England
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 6
           
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Re: Help Quick! 1993-1994 SC28 vs 1995? :S

^^^^

Frig me. What an accumulation of knowledge. I hope the OP is equally impressed - and guided by your help of course.
IanDoohan and Duncan893 like this.

2018 CBR1000RR SP2 / 2004 CBR1000RR / 2003 CBR954RR / 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R / 1985 Honda NS400R
2007 MV F4 1000R / 2020 Daytona 765 Moto 2 Replica (on order)
nigelrb is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 08-18-2019, 1:08 PM
 
Join Date: 06-25-2018
Location: Hamlin, NY
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 2
 
Thanks for the info doohan. Also, Honda reused many parts from 93-99 so it's worth looking at a part diagram to see what part numbers remain.
Doing so yields mounting locations for fairings from 93-99 being the same but tanks differing greatly. You could make a any one of those years look like any other without swapping frame or subframe. Again, tank mounting and shape differ greatly over those years but some mounts can be modified to fit but some shapes aren't compatible with other models.
IanDoohan and Duncan893 like this.
skant153 is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 08-18-2019, 10:00 PM
President: Team Full Chat
 
IanDoohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-2013
Location: Connecticut,USA
Age: 47
Posts: 7,028
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102
                     
Garage
Re: Help Quick! 1993-1994 SC28 vs 1995? :S

Quote:
Originally Posted by skant153 View Post
Thanks for the info doohan. Also, Honda reused many parts from 93-99 so it's worth looking at a part diagram to see what part numbers remain.
Doing so yields mounting locations for fairings from 93-99 being the same but tanks differing greatly. You could make a any one of those years look like any other without swapping frame or subframe. Again, tank mounting and shape differ greatly over those years but some mounts can be modified to fit but some shapes aren't compatible with other models.
This is true to a point, I have a 96 SC33 tank on my SC28 93, having had to modify the frame at the neck to accept the change in the front mounting point from 1 centered bolt hole, to 2 offset holes. Putting an SC28 tank on an SC33 frame however, would be going backwards in my opinion.



Duncan893 likes this.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Cafť 900RRP
IanDoohan is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 08-19-2019, 8:15 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 08-12-2019
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Help Quick! 1993-1994 SC28 vs 1995? :S

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
SC28 for the US encompasses 93-95.

SC33 for the US encompasses 96-99 (with changes in 98-99).

SC28 for the US in 93-94 were basically identical round eye blades, with no visual changes other than colors.

SC28 for the US in 95 changed to the foxeye upper headlight fairing, aluminum mirror stay, compression damping on the forks, the electronic sprocket speedo sensor, and the updated gauge set with the row if idiot lights versus the top and bottom one. Frame and swingarm were the same as 93-94.

SC33 for the US in 96-97 saw the new frame and swingarm, minor interior engine changes, TPS on the carbs, the same foxeye fairing as the 95, although the fuel tank shape was changed and the upper mirror stay now bolted to the tank mounts.

SC33 for the US in 98-99 saw a revised frame stiffness back to replicate the SC28, anther new upper fairing and fox eye headlight (more angled), a new tail section fairing, more internal engine mods, an all electronic dash set, speedo sensor on the crankcase, larger front brake disks (310mm), better front calipers, more trail, wider spaced forks in the triple clamps, and a more plush seating position.

All of these models 93-99 had the 16" front wheel, although different versions throughout the years.

I may be late, but I hope that helps you.
This is exactly the information I need, thanks. Seller went AWOL on me mid contact, guessing it's probably sold, time will tell.

I'm assuming these details aren't a full comprehensive list? Did the 95 get a magnesium head?

Were all mid and lower fairings the same all the way up to 99?
dualheadlamps is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 08-19-2019, 10:26 AM
President: Team Full Chat
 
IanDoohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-2013
Location: Connecticut,USA
Age: 47
Posts: 7,028
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102
                     
Garage
Re: Help Quick! 1993-1994 SC28 vs 1995? :S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualheadlamps View Post
This is exactly the information I need, thanks. Seller went AWOL on me mid contact, guessing it's probably sold, time will tell.

I'm assuming these details aren't a full comprehensive list? Did the 95 get a magnesium head?

Were all mid and lower fairings the same all the way up to 99?
I canít say for sure on the 95 getting the Magnesium head COVER, not the head itself, but the 98-99 definitely had it, as I have one and The word Magnesium is cast right into it. Someone else may be able to verify if the 95 had it. Partzilla has 3 different part numbers for it, so it possibly could be. Wikipedia says it did, but I donít trust that.

The fairing question is tricky. Iíve never tried to adapt the 93-94 upper to 95-97 mids and lowers. I think just the 98-99 is the caveat. I donít think the 98-99 upper will match 95-97 mids, but Iíve never done it so I donít know. My gut feeling is yes, the 93-94 upper will bolt in right in place of the 95, matching the 95 mid panels. The mirror stay will probably line up too, but the gauge cluster stay looks significantly different on the 93-94, so you may need to find one of those.

I would just look for a 93-94 and then mod that to get you your adjustable forks and magnesium head cover lol

I powder coated my 99ís blue, says Magnesium bottom right. Canít say I can tell the difference from my 93ís once theyíre mounted, which I did in red.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8A1FDA14-29CF-49F9-841D-31CD516BE551.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	94528

Click image for larger version

Name:	B479CE7C-21E6-49FD-A330-BA451F6649DD.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	94530

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Cafť 900RRP
IanDoohan is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 08-19-2019, 5:18 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 08-12-2019
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Help Quick! 1993-1994 SC28 vs 1995? :S

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
I canít say for sure on the 95 getting the Magnesium head COVER, not the head itself, but the 98-99 definitely had it, as I have one and The word Magnesium is cast right into it. Someone else may be able to verify if the 95 had it. Partzilla has 3 different part numbers for it, so it possibly could be. Wikipedia says it did, but I donít trust that.

The fairing question is tricky. Iíve never tried to adapt the 93-94 upper to 95-97 mids and lowers. I think just the 98-99 is the caveat. I donít think the 98-99 upper will match 95-97 mids, but Iíve never done it so I donít know. My gut feeling is yes, the 93-94 upper will bolt in right in place of the 95, matching the 95 mid panels. The mirror stay will probably line up too, but the gauge cluster stay looks significantly different on the 93-94, so you may need to find one of those.

I would just look for a 93-94 and then mod that to get you your adjustable forks and magnesium head cover lol

I powder coated my 99ís blue, says Magnesium bottom right. Canít say I can tell the difference from my 93ís once theyíre mounted, which I did in red.

Attachment 94528

Attachment 94530
That makes more sense. I read magnesium head somewhere and was thoroughly impressed as I've never heard of such a thing before. A magnesium valve cover isn't quite as impressive. So it seems then the major performance improvements were just the front forks. I was thinking they had a different motor (with a magnesium head). Supposedly the magnesium cover is 300 grams lighter, seems like a lot of expense for 300 grams. Guessing Honda wanted model year "improvements" to push sales in the final year of the SC28 before the SC33 came out.

Not at all interested in SC33s, was just curious about fairing interchangeability for used OEM replacement fairings down the road if necessary. I already have an '94 SC28. I'm actively looking for a "nicer" one and wanted to figure out if the '95 SC28s should be a consideration.

Thanks for all the help! Going to try and compile a comprehensive list of the '95 changes. I may after all purchase one and do the upper fairing swap.
IanDoohan and Duncan893 like this.
dualheadlamps is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 08-19-2019, 6:01 PM
Supporting Member
 
Gunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-22-2015
Location: Oxford, UK
Age: 54
Posts: 2,024
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 23
                     
Garage
Re: Help Quick! 1993-1994 SC28 vs 1995? :S

The UK 1994 RR-R definitely had a magnesium cam cover. Our ‘94 is your ‘95

I personally wouldn’t get too hung up about the difference between the early bikes and the ,95/‘96 blades, they are very minor detail changes. My 93 rides just as well, if not better than my old ‘94. I really can’t tell much difference.
IanDoohan and Duncan893 like this.

1993 CBR900 RR P
1994 CBR900 RR R Urban Tiger Project (now sold)
Gunk is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 08-30-2019, 8:06 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 08-12-2019
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Help Quick! 1993-1994 SC28 vs 1995? :S

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
This is true to a point, I have a 96 SC33 tank on my SC28 93, having had to modify the frame at the neck to accept the change in the front mounting point from 1 centered bolt hole, to 2 offset holes. Putting an SC28 tank on an SC33 frame however, would be going backwards in my opinion.



Tell us more about your tank mod.
Did you just drill and tap your frame?
Did the rear mounting position line up perfectly?
How does the shape of the tank differ between SC28 and SC33, if any?
In what regards was using an SC33 tank on your SC28 an improvement?
dualheadlamps is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 08-30-2019, 10:37 AM
President: Team Full Chat
 
IanDoohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-2013
Location: Connecticut,USA
Age: 47
Posts: 7,028
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102
                     
Garage
Re: Help Quick! 1993-1994 SC28 vs 1995? :S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualheadlamps View Post
Tell us more about your tank mod.
Did you just drill and tap your frame?
Did the rear mounting position line up perfectly?
How does the shape of the tank differ between SC28 and SC33, if any?
In what regards was using an SC33 tank on your SC28 an improvement?
The SC33 tank is significantly "sleeker" than the SC28. In full tuck where your chest would rest on the tank is not as high as the SC28, and slopes more towards the seat. The sides also have more of a slope/angle than the SC28 making it feel a bit narrower as well.

Yes, the rear mount is the same, and with the bolt in the rear I eyeballed where it would rest at the front and drilled and tapped the 2 holes. I reversed engineered the 2 bolts from what Partzilla said they should be complete with the shoulder that fits in the rubber grommets with the special raised tube washers. It's not perfect, but one really can't tell the difference unless you're staring at it from an inch away lol

The one disadvantage (if its really that at all) is the fuel valve inlet and reserve tube. Due to the SC28 tank being taller, and me using an SC33 vacuum fuel valve as well (petcock), it lines up just a bit higher in the frame triangle on my SC28 than it would on an SC33. I modified the SC28's original black plastic "knob" to delete the huge plastic flange it had around the knob itself.

Overall the look is much sleeker, not as bulbus, and makes the seating/riding position less "upright" and the tank doesn't feel as "in your face" as the SC28 on did. Other than that, no other advantage.

Obviously it's easier to tell in person side by side, but here's some pics.

My original 93 I had 25 years ago: You can see how even the front of the tank by the triple tree was about an inch higher off the frame than the SC33 tank, and didn't slope back as much.




My current 93 with SC33 tank: The chest slope is far less, and not as tall

Gunk likes this.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Cafť 900RRP
IanDoohan is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 09-05-2019, 10:23 AM
 
Join Date: 05-09-2019
Location: UK
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Help Quick! 1993-1994 SC28 vs 1995? :S

Gosh darn it! I've only gone and bought a Magnesium cam cover. Why? Why?

I blame 1/ this Thread, 2/ eBay (£12 delivered, who could resist?) and 3/ my complete lack of self control!

Now that it has arrived, it does seem to have negative mass .......

I am now of a mind to change the colour, inspired by Ian's rather fetching testarossa.
IanDoohan and Gunk like this.
Duncan893 is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 09-05-2019, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 08-12-2019
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Help Quick! 1993-1994 SC28 vs 1995? :S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan893 View Post
Gosh darn it! I've only gone and bought a Magnesium cam cover. Why? Why?

I blame 1/ this Thread, 2/ eBay (£12 delivered, who could resist?) and 3/ my complete lack of self control!

Now that it has arrived, it does seem to have negative mass .......

I am now of a mind to change the colour, inspired by Ian's rather fetching testarossa.
Colour is weight! Those 300 grams of weight savings is going to become 275 grams!

At least your not hunting for a new bike like me. I'm still looking for a 1995...
Duncan893 likes this.
dualheadlamps is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome