RRV has poor fuel efficiency and reduced power - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By nigelrb
  • 1 Post By machinehead

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-21-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

RRV has poor fuel efficiency and reduced power

Hello,

I brought my 97 'Blade back to life a couple of years ago, after a few years off-road. However, I notice that I now only get about 30 mpg, when I used to get about 42 mpg. I also feel like the power is reduced from what it used to be and there is also smell of petrol (gasoline) in the exhaust. I have cleaned out all of the carbs, and rebalanced them with a carbtune, but this hasn't changed anything. Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong? I guess the smell points to running rich, but I still need to use the choke, except on warm days. I initially had hassle with the boots to the engine block being stiff as plastic, and leaking in air, so that I kept flicking to just three cylinders. However, I have replaced the boots, and now fire on all four. I asked a local mechanic, and he just says its an old bike, and the cylinders become worn. However, its only on about 30k miles.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Grubby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-21-2019, 2:36 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Re: RRV has poor fuel efficiency and reduced power

First basic thing that comes to mind is when was the last 'proper' tune done, i.e. valves and timing?
IanDoohan likes this.

2018 CBR1000RR SP2 / 2004 CBR1000RR / 2003 CBR954RR / 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R / 1985 Honda NS400R
2007 MV F4 1000R / 2020 Daytona 765 Moto 2 Replica (on order)
post #3 of 7 Old 08-21-2019, 3:45 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 23

Garage
Is it running an aftermarket exhaust can? If so you need to check the jetting is correct, sounds like it’s over fueling

[COLOR="Silver”]1993 CBR900 RR P [/COLOR]

1994 CBR900 RR R Urban Tiger Project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-24-2019, 8:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

sound like its running rich. It will have manual choke which could be sticking, or there is dirt in the carbs esp if it was stood for a while. Flush the carbs out, or you might need to remove the float bowls and clean the fuel inlet needle valves that control the fuel flow in to the float bowls. That's were I would start. If you have had the tank off then make sure none of the breather pipes are pinched - causes mayhem.

Valves and timing are unlikely to suddenly change, and you say you smell gas in the exhaust so strongly points to rich mixture so thats were I would start.
IanDoohan likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-24-2019, 10:11 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Look at your plugs. Have they been changed recently? Give it a compression check, that will give a fairly good indicator of the rings and valve sealing.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #6 of 7 Old 08-26-2019, 7:22 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Have you checked/replaced the air filter?
post #7 of 7 Old 08-27-2019, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice. I didn't get a notification that there were replies, so didn't check back.

I think these should answer all questions to date:

The plugs were changed when I put the bike back on the road, and I opened up the carbs and cleaned all the bowls and the jets, and reset them to recommended settings (two turns back, maybe..?)

I have not had the clearances or timings looked at. The bike is about 30k miles, so probably due.

I have got an aftermarket can on currently, but only recently, and the problem was the same with the stock can.

I don't think the choke is sticking, as I cleaned that out. A few weeks ago the cable came loose, and was difficult to start. Cable back on now.

The air filter was changed the same time as the plugs when it was put back on the road.

Cheers,
Grubby

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page