Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

RRV has poor fuel efficiency and reduced power

905 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Grubby 
#1 ·
Hello,

I brought my 97 'Blade back to life a couple of years ago, after a few years off-road. However, I notice that I now only get about 30 mpg, when I used to get about 42 mpg. I also feel like the power is reduced from what it used to be and there is also smell of petrol (gasoline) in the exhaust. I have cleaned out all of the carbs, and rebalanced them with a carbtune, but this hasn't changed anything. Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong? I guess the smell points to running rich, but I still need to use the choke, except on warm days. I initially had hassle with the boots to the engine block being stiff as plastic, and leaking in air, so that I kept flicking to just three cylinders. However, I have replaced the boots, and now fire on all four. I asked a local mechanic, and he just says its an old bike, and the cylinders become worn. However, its only on about 30k miles.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Grubby.

#4 ·
sound like its running rich. It will have manual choke which could be sticking, or there is dirt in the carbs esp if it was stood for a while. Flush the carbs out, or you might need to remove the float bowls and clean the fuel inlet needle valves that control the fuel flow in to the float bowls. That's were I would start. If you have had the tank off then make sure none of the breather pipes are pinched - causes mayhem.

Valves and timing are unlikely to suddenly change, and you say you smell gas in the exhaust so strongly points to rich mixture so thats were I would start.

#7 ·
Hi All,

Thanks for the advice. I didn't get a notification that there were replies, so didn't check back.

I think these should answer all questions to date:

The plugs were changed when I put the bike back on the road, and I opened up the carbs and cleaned all the bowls and the jets, and reset them to recommended settings (two turns back, maybe..?)

I have not had the clearances or timings looked at. The bike is about 30k miles, so probably due.

I have got an aftermarket can on currently, but only recently, and the problem was the same with the stock can.

I don't think the choke is sticking, as I cleaned that out. A few weeks ago the cable came loose, and was difficult to start. Cable back on now.

The air filter was changed the same time as the plugs when it was put back on the road.

Cheers,
Grubby

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.