Can 1995 SC28 Dash fit 1993-1994 SC28? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 2 Post By IanDoohan

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-27-2019, 9:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Can 1995 SC28 Dash fit 1993-1994 SC28?

I'm looking to replace my complete dash assembly as I have some gouging on my speedometer housing from a crappy aftermarket clutch lever smashing into it. Found a complete unit from a 1995 clean and dirt cheap.

I really like the 1995 style single row dash lights vs the dual row 1993-1995.

I also know the 1995 had a different speed sensor, but it is my understanding that the speedometer was meant to be removable for track use? So can they interchange between 93-94 and 95?

Another thing I know is the 1995 had the updated fox eye front fairing. Is the dash mounting position different on the 1995 because of this? I plan to retain my 1993-1994 dual headlamp fairing and associated supporting brackets and stays. Hoping this can be a bolt on affair.

Few questions.

1. Is the wiring/connectors the same? (If not, the signals?)
2. Is the mounting position the same?
3. Is there an easy way to get rid of the speedo cable that runs to my front wheel (to clean up the look) and run the 1995 speedo setup that goes into the transmission (I presume)?

Cheerio,

dualheadlamps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-27-2019, 11:44 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage
Re: Can 1995 SC28 Dash fit 1993-1994 SC28?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualheadlamps View Post
I'm looking to replace my complete dash assembly as I have some gouging on my speedometer housing from a crappy aftermarket clutch lever smashing into it. Found a complete unit from a 1995 clean and dirt cheap.

I really like the 1995 style single row dash lights vs the dual row 1993-1995.

I also know the 1995 had a different speed sensor, but it is my understanding that the speedometer was meant to be removable for track use? So can they interchange between 93-94 and 95?

Another thing I know is the 1995 had the updated fox eye front fairing. Is the dash mounting position different on the 1995 because of this? I plan to retain my 1993-1994 dual headlamp fairing and associated supporting brackets and stays. Hoping this can be a bolt on affair.

Few questions.

1. Is the wiring/connectors the same? (If not, the signals?)
2. Is the mounting position the same?
3. Is there an easy way to get rid of the speedo cable that runs to my front wheel (to clean up the look) and run the 1995 speedo setup that goes into the transmission (I presume)?

Cheerio,

dualheadlamps
The speedo as a single unit is not removable to be reused again. I removed it from my original 93, but it had to be CUT out. You might be able to just switch out the innards of the speedometers, but I have no experience there.

The wiring should be exactly the same, but you will need to add the 95-97 speed sensor. Yes, I've done it in my 93 cafe build thread, with an F4i dash. I made a sub harness from the dash to the speed sensor. I added the sensor and sprocket cover from a 95. If you use the entire 95 dash, all you would need is the sub harness and the sensor/sprocket cover.

It should use the same mounts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Speedo.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	94846

Name:	Speed sensor wires.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	94848

Name:	Speed sensor 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	94850

Name:	Sprocket cover.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	94852

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #3 of 5 Old 09-28-2019, 3:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
The speedo as a single unit is not removable to be reused again. I removed it from my original 93, but it had to be CUT out. You might be able to just switch out the innards of the speedometers, but I have no experience there.

The wiring should be exactly the same, but you will need to add the 95-97 speed sensor. Yes, I've done it in my 93 cafe build thread, with an F4i dash. I made a sub harness from the dash to the speed sensor. I added the sensor and sprocket cover from a 95. If you use the entire 95 dash, all you would need is the sub harness and the sensor/sprocket cover.

It should use the same mounts.

Attachment 94846

Attachment 94848

Attachment 94850

Attachment 94852
Got it. So I need the sprocket cover which accommodates the magnetic speed sensor, the speed sensor itself, and the 1995 dash. And then have to wire the speed sensor to the speedometer.

I'm guessing if I got my hands on a 1995 harness it would be a 100% bolt on affair with no custom wiring? Not sure if it's worth all that work, but might be able to get it cheap.

Tell me more about that Ohlins steering damper. Was it specifically made for SC28 application? Did you have to drill into your frame? Moar pictars?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-28-2019, 4:58 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

Garage

The other benefit of the conversion is that you can ditch the speedo cable and run a 17” front wheel
post #5 of 5 Old 09-28-2019, 7:45 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualheadlamps View Post
Got it. So I need the sprocket cover which accommodates the magnetic speed sensor, the speed sensor itself, and the 1995 dash. And then have to wire the speed sensor to the speedometer.

I'm guessing if I got my hands on a 1995 harness it would be a 100% bolt on affair with no custom wiring? Not sure if it's worth all that work, but might be able to get it cheap.

Tell me more about that Ohlins steering damper. Was it specifically made for SC28 application? Did you have to drill into your frame? Moar pictars?
The damper was given to me by a friend. There was one on the bike originally that was a black no name universal one, and it was originally installed because there was a thumb sized hole in the frame from an insurance claim. It was totaled and salvaged. There was a 3x3 plate welded onto the frame, then a stud that was tapped to accept the bolt. I ended up polishing it up. Looked great, but as in the picture, I had to move the bars outward (they were race clip ons) and removed the speedo because the CR125 clutch lever I was using hit the speedo. That's why I ended up removing it.

The damper was not ideal, I had to remove the left trim panel as well for it to fit.

Name:	93 frame weld.jpg
Size:	441.7 KB
ID:	94878

Name:	93 damper.jpg
Size:	508.7 KB
ID:	94880

Name:	frame.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	94882

Name:	damper build.jpg
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	94884

Name:	Fairing.jpg
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	94886
Gunk and dualheadlamps like this.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page