Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Bikes-on-Film

3K views 39 replies 6 participants last post by  Duncan893 
#1 · (Edited)
Purpose of this thread: To develop a watch list of interesting Bikes-on-Film.

The other day I was viewing a compilation of future cinema releases and was pleased to see that motorcycles will be featured quite a lot. Is it just me or does the use of a motorcycle in a film provide a little hit and (almost) automatically make the film better?

Bond in Quantum & Bourne in Ultimatum both commandeer (disguised) Honda Montesas leading to great chase scenes. Bruce Wayne on an MV, and his alter ego, cape flapping, on the BatPod, was very cool. And, some film people just seem to want to have bikes at work: Angelina gets an honorary mention; from Ms Croft to her escape on the Triumph in Salt, and, please take a bow Mr Cruise, who appears to have it written into his contract that bikes will feature in every film - and long may it continue.

So, I welcome your Film recommendations, containing which bike and what is cool about it, please.

Over to you …….

#3 ·
A very good question, and a very well made argument for the inclusion of TV motorcycles, Nigel. :thumb:

I've convened the BoF committee - that was me over a cup of tea - and it has concluded that the inclusion of TV programmes is eminently sensible.

P.S. There is no need to explain what is cool about Homer's motorcycle. The look on his face is all the explanation we need. :wink

#6 ·
Duncan, I like your idea. BUT, I'm always let down when the clearly identifiable 4 stroke dirt bike sounds like a 2 stroke and vise versa. Or the stunt guy on a Ducati sounds like a CBR. That editing drives me nuts.

MegaForce (1982-look it up :grin)
Never say never again
T2
Mission impossible

All ridiculously misrepresent our 2 wheeled love.

Oh, and Top Gun, seeing Tom Cruise getting trailered on his Ninja 900 (in one scene you can see the tie down on the fairing).

Not meaning to derail your thread Duncs, just airing my discontent with those movies :wink

#11 ·
I understand and sympathise, Ian. :thumb: Films where the stunts or CGI are poor, or the sports bike tyres miraculously turn into super-studded trail tyres mid-chase - can be a distraction :idunno: , but, even in those movies, you still get the - one handed rolling stoppie, while shooting at the bad guys with the other hand stunt - that, surely, deserves a round of applause? :clap:

And, this means that, when a Bike-on-Film passes the IanDoohan test, it's going to be awesome!

So, bring it on, my Friend! :allears:

#28 ·
Knight & Day was lighthearted fun with a Ducati in a lead role.

CGI was a bit unrealistic on a small screen, not sure if it was better at the cinema.

And, to Ian's point, to film certain scenes the bike is attached to a truck.

But for those of us who are teenagers at heart - you know who I mean - there were a few compensations ........

Attachments

#36 ·
Saw that and almost cried. I went to Laguna Seca in 93, the round after he fell. My best friend and I were 21, flew out to San Francisco for the weekend to see our first and last GP. I was a Doohan fan (shocker, I know) and my friend was a Rainey fan. He was crushed and I was flying high, until Mic crashed in the corkscrew lol

Some of our home video from that day, on the way to the track and some of the racing.

Racing starts at the 5:20 mark, and sorry for the horrible VHS-C camera work and poor commentary lol

#40 ·
You can see why extinction was inevitable, if you go to 12mins28seconds when the camera is looking at the back of the front row of the grid :devil

At the time I didn't think a lot about it, my sensibilities must have changed after being involved with engine emissions development for over a decade. That is entirely unacceptable.

Incidentally, I was at this race, at what are now called the Foggy Esses and watched in surprise as Mick skittled the Suzuki's on the first lap (13mins45secs). :eek:

Cadalora winning from Yamaha teammate Rainey with a couple of Brits in 3rd and 4th, it was a great race! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.