miss-fire - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

User Tag List

5Likes
  • 1 Post By IanDoohan
  • 2 Post By tiimfu
  • 1 Post By tiimfu
  • 1 Post By IanDoohan

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-05-2019, 5:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

miss-fire

hi folks, my name is Tim, I have a '92 cbr900rrn streetfighter. I have had a misfire on it for over a year now. The Fuel tank had been sprayed and was full of overspray which was slowly peeling off. so, over the last 6 months, a new tank was fitted, fuel pump, lines, relay, rectifier, coils, plugs, filter(s), carbs re-jetted...standard jets, but to no avail. It was suggested that the floats could be worn on the pin, causing them to cockle and stick in corners or quick throttle opening... the times that it misses. Any ideas any one? I cant get new floats from anywhere in the world.. have bought from 4 companies only to be refunded as they are no longer available. any help much appreciated,
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-05-2019, 7:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Re: miss-fire

are valve clearances and compression ok?
post #3 of 9 Old 10-05-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

yes, it runs great most of the time, like a swiss watch, but then plays up as though about to run out of fuel, would normally have you putting tap on reserve. does it when sat at around 5000 rpm misses a beat like fuel starvation....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-05-2019, 1:52 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 23

Garage

What are you running as far as aftermarket stuff, air filter, exhaust etc?

Sounds like a carb problem, either too rich or too lean, sound like it could be running too rich, does it smell of fuel when idling?

1993 CBR900 RR P
1994 CBR900 RR R Urban Tiger Project (now sold)
post #5 of 9 Old 10-05-2019, 9:12 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiimfu View Post
hi folks, my name is Tim, I have a '92 cbr900rrn streetfighter. I have had a misfire on it for over a year now. The Fuel tank had been sprayed and was full of overspray which was slowly peeling off. so, over the last 6 months, a new tank was fitted, fuel pump, lines, relay, rectifier, coils, plugs, filter(s), carbs re-jetted...standard jets, but to no avail. It was suggested that the floats could be worn on the pin, causing them to cockle and stick in corners or quick throttle opening... the times that it misses. Any ideas any one? I cant get new floats from anywhere in the world.. have bought from 4 companies only to be refunded as they are no longer available. any help much appreciated,
Tim
Please answer:

Did it happen out of nowhere?

Are you the original owner of it as a streetfighter?

What mods, if any?

Did you do a compression check? What were the numbers?

Is there a rats nest of wires near the airbox snorkels under the tank?

And I don't believe the floats are the issue. They are non adjustable, plastic and unless they have a hole in them they're good to go. Test float them in a container of fuel.
Duncan893 likes this.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #6 of 9 Old 10-06-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

ok, it has done it since I bought it as a Streetfighter, with tank full of overspray as I said. carbs have been off and cleaned 3 times and new jets and needles fitted, then balanced and set up. there are a few wires in front of air intake, but not enough to restrict air flow. original air box, filter and pipes down to collector, then a short stubby can, manufactured by a shop in Sheffield I believe. it particularly does it after full throttle opening, ie overtaking, shut off, open up again and feels and sounds like no fuel to the point it throws you up off the seat, not fun to ride
Attached Thumbnails
20190429_152034.jpg‎  
IanDoohan and Duncan893 like this.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-06-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

floats have been tested in a bowl of fuel, no leak, but do feel very sloppy on the hinge pin, possible cockling and sticking??
IanDoohan likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-09-2019, 8:19 PM
Tex

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiimfu View Post
yes, it runs great most of the time, like a swiss watch, but then plays up as though about to run out of fuel, would normally have you putting tap on reserve. does it when sat at around 5000 rpm misses a beat like fuel starvation....
I had similar problem '01- 929RR - turned out to be a cracked Throttle Position Switch (TPS) had to buy full set of throttle bodies from ebay as the TPS was not separately available from Honda.
Now my bike is running better than brand new - If not for a full face helmet I would have the proverbial "bugs in the teeth". I am sooo happy
Hope you find your solution.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-09-2019, 10:15 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Thanks for the pic, and i'll offer you a guess. I'm going to say its a bit lean, based on the short muffler. I would offer you to raise the height of the needle with a washer or 2 if they aren't already adjustable.

Unlikely that the floats will get skewed enough to stick, they are quite sloppy on the rod.

Another thing to consider is a loose connection that vibrates out at a specific RPM.

What are the size of the jets that are in there? Also, does it still have the fuel pump?
nigelrb likes this.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page