Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

‘03 954 VS ‘07 1000

882 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Pablo.gyds03 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

I am glad to see that there is still such love and adoration for the Blade!
I am looking at upgrading from my current ride (‘92 600f2) and have the opportunity to look at the ‘03 954 and an ‘07 1000. I know that they are completely different machines and are a hard comparison. I also know there have been many discussions here surrounding the the 954 and the 1000 but, I was curious to see if anyone had experience with these specific years. Would you say there’s a major difference between the two?

I don’t have much track experience but, will be looking to eventually take the bike to the track. I will mainly be using the bike for everyday street riding. I know there is no way that I’ll be able to ride either of these bikes to their full potential but, would still love to see the differences from some folks that have experienced these beasts first hand.

Thanks all!

#2 ·
HI and welcome.

I have both the 954 and 2004 Blade which is the first of the 'underseat exhaust' models. As you say, they are completely different bikes in look and spec, but power and rideability is very much the same.

I prefer the ride of my 954 in that it is a lighter bike and handles much better in a road situation. For the track though, the 2007 has better power delivery and is said to have better handling characteristics, very much dependant on the rider's ability.

You should find quite a price difference between the two. As you are more concerned about functionality rather than collectability, my opinion is that the 2007 would be a better all-round buy.

Further, there are still quite a few 04 - 07s being used as track bikes, so parts are a bit more plentiful for the 07 also. As a further tip, if you do purchase one with good fairings, consider taking them off and replacing with Chinese. The bike will be worth more at resale with nice, clean original uncrashed fairings.:grin

#3 ·
Nigel,

Thank you for the input! I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about the availability of parts for the 954. It seems that those that have them, absolutely love them and I'm sure that makes parts scarce.

It appears that I am looking at about a $2k difference in price but, with winter officially being in full swing here in Green Bay, WI, I may find some better deals. It looks like most of the "new riders" that picked up these bikes as starters got spooked and are selling them off in the winter season. A spooked rider always makes for better shopping though. :)

Would you say that the built in electronic damper on the 1,000 made up for the lack of the damper on the 954? Do you still experience head shake on the 1,000? One thing I know for sure is that if I grab a 954, I will not be doing anything with it until there is a damper on it.

Thanks for the welcome and the response!

#4 ·
Hi again. I haven't experienced head shake. I am not a track day rider, but did race yonks ago on a trick CB750.

Head shake has a lot to do with riding style, suspension set up, power delivery out of corners, and road surface. Whilst I can belt around country roads on my bikes on varying surfaces, I perhaps don't subject the bike to generate enough stresses to become loose.

I am actually the 'Lorenzo' of UK. Smooth and precise and over the past year have lost the plot!!:devil :devil :wink

#5 ·
My Brother used to have an 04 blade, the HESD works pretty well. The 954 is lighter and feels lighter, the 04 feels heavier but once you get rolling it's not bad, it has more power too.
I like the 929/954 but I'd go with the 04 if it were me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.