Stainless v. rubber - a brake line question - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-25-2004, 9:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Stainless v. rubber - a brake line question

I caught this while surfing another board and decided to pose the question to Fireblades. The question will be evident by the time you read the paragraph.

--

Why one would want a stiffer brake feel on a road bike? I know that I like the stiff feel that my steel braided hoses provide on my track bike, but I use it only on the track and thus I do frequent high-effort braking and I seldom encounter "emergency" braking situations. On my road bike, however, from time to time I encounter situations where I quickly and unexpectedly apply a lot of brake. In these situations, I have a tendency to stab the brake (because I wasn't planning, for example, to have that elk run out into the road ahead of me). For me, the additional compliance provided by the OEM lines compared to steel-braided lines is a safety mechanism -- it helps buffer the shock of brake application so I get a smoother, more controlled application of the brake. I can still get all the brake power I could ever want, because even at full-effort I cannot pull the brake lever all the way to the grip. I just get that initial application in a smoother, more controlled fashion even when I'm panicked.

I think the OEM lines are safer than aftermarket steel braided lines on a street bike.

--

Any thoughts on this? Bunk? Sensible? Somewhere in between?

I've now run my bike on a track. I will never race it competitively, thus the trackday duty my brake system saw was as extreme as it will ever see ... and I didn't long for a different lever feel, nor did my brakes ever fade despite sessions that lasted as many as a dozen fairly brisk laps in a row.

So for me, maybe SS lines are frivolous but for the way they look?

Input?

TIA

-Chain

Last edited by Chain; 04-25-2004 at 9:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-25-2004, 9:18 PM

Reputation Power: 23

Send a message via AIM to showmethebombs Send a message via MSN to showmethebombs Send a message via Yahoo to showmethebombs
Re: Stainless v. rubber - a brake line question

Steel braided lines improve braking, really by giving them a much more crisp feeling. similar to on cars. Most of us don't NEED is, but many of us do it. I like to compair it to when I dumped cash into my BMW...just on brakes I did brembos, and dinan cross drilled rotors. I even did the braided lines...because I was the man. Or whatever. It made the car have tons more bite...and it was mad crisp.

DO we need this...na, but it helps in, what i like to call, crisp braking.

Team Honda - well sorta...
post #3 of 9 Old 04-25-2004, 9:26 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via MSN to Cowboy1600

Next to putting very sticky rubber on ur bike, I believe braided brake lines should be one of the first things you modify on ur bike. You do need the advantages of braided lines. If uve had the chance to sample rubber, then braided straight away, ull find that braided have much, much more "feel". This can only be a good thing. Helps you to know whats happening at the front wheel when ur braking. Have you ever locked a front wheel accidentally? Ur tyres are the only thing sticking u to the ground, and braided lines and brake pads are the easiet things to change to help you stop better. For al those that will say "brakes are for pussies" tell me this. When that car pulls out in front of you which would you rather have, 25 more hp or very sticky tyres, braided lines and good pads?

Poking the Devil with a stick then running away
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-25-2004, 9:33 PM

Reputation Power: 31

First of all, you should never "stab" the brakes, even in an emergency stop. Practice will make you do the right thing, even in an emergency stop, with is to set the brakes first, then a progressive squeeze. The sequence is just a lot faster in an emergency stop. OEM brakes these days are very, very good, so braided lines probably aren't a necessity for street riding and the occasional track day. Do they help, though? I think yes. I like the way they feel. Even on the street, I want my brakes working the best that they can. I think if you grab a handful of brakes in such a way as to cause bad things to happen, it's gonna happen with OEM or steel lines. My
post #5 of 9 Old 04-25-2004, 10:07 PM

The OEM brakes were fine for me until I rolled 20,000 miles. The brakes lost their bite, and the feel was not as good as I felt I should have had. So I switched to SS lines and now the brakes are as good as the day the bike was bought. No noticeable breakdown of the brake feel after 30,000 miles using the SS lines.

As far as OEM brakes being "safer" than SS lines because they're squishier, well, that's just silly.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-25-2004, 11:39 PM

Reputation Power: 18

It probably depends on the bike too. I rode my buddies TL-R last weekend and couldn't believe the difference in the brakes. I suggested stainless lines and an extra set of calipers after the ride. He didn't find it too funny.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-26-2004, 12:03 AM

Reputation Power: 18

When I had my ZX9R the stock brakes had a wooden feel and stainless lines helped alot. On my 54 the first time I grabbed a handfull I did a 40mph. stoppie. I see the point and I think a lot of folks just pile on the upgrades and never really think about anything more than impressing other people. I just rode in the "A" group on our local ride this Sat. and the guy who leads it is riding a 250 Ninja. I would honestly like to see someone on this board who can actually put to use 140 rwhp on the street. My bike in basically stock trim is way beyond my riding skills and it doesn't bother me at all that I don't have 150 rwhp. I am more concerned with bieng able to ride in a manner that will bring me home safely and not embarass me in front of the group or bystanders for that matter.

Another great site to visit.

Throw off those chains of reason and your prison disappears...Peart
post #8 of 9 Old 04-26-2004, 12:26 AM

CBRjack, just checked out your "Another great site to visit". Didn't stay long at this point but it seems to be another "common sense" forum, as far as the 1 or 2 posts that I read would lead me to believe.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-26-2004, 5:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRjack
I just rode in the "A" group on our local ride this Sat. and the guy who leads it is riding a 250 Ninja. I would honestly like to see someone on this board who can actually put to use 140 rwhp on the street.
Thisis why Ducati still sells the SS range very succesfully. Less power, but it is more useable. Not to mention why V-twins are still selling well in genral.

Z...

You're f%#&king up my Chi...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page