I may have to induce bike labor - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 08-25-2004, 4:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

I may have to induce bike labor

<BEGIN GRIPE>My baby (02 CBR954) is at the shop getting a face lift after my last spill a few months back. New front plastic, subframe, left handle bar, gas tank, paint, etc... Anyway, the shop told me I would have it last week, then it was this Friday, now they are telling me it's NEXT F-IN FRIDAY. Apparently the factory stickers (silver honda wings for the tank) are slow to arrive and won't be here til next week. Can't clear coat. Urgh. </END GRIPE>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-25-2004, 4:52 PM

Re: I may have to induce bike labor

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonjester
<BEGIN GRIPE>My baby (02 CBR954) is at the shop getting a face lift after my last spill a few months back. New front plastic, subframe, left handle bar, gas tank, paint, etc... Anyway, the shop told me I would have it last week, then it was this Friday, now they are telling me it's NEXT F-IN FRIDAY. Apparently the factory stickers (silver honda wings for the tank) are slow to arrive and won't be here til next week. Can't clear coat. Urgh. </END GRIPE>

why didnt' you buy the parts and do it yourself, I didn't seen anything complicated on your to do list

call everyday ...they like that
post #3 of 16 Old 08-25-2004, 5:19 PM

He has been searching for jobs in Austing and no time to work on mundane things like a motorcycle

SJ I've been busy doing the same thing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 08-25-2004, 5:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 929_Nupe
why didnt' you buy the parts and do it yourself, I didn't seen anything complicated on your to do list

call everyday ...they like that
I'm useless with tools. I actually did start the work myself. I don't have the right tools (such as a paint gun ) and with the new business now off the ground I'm a little starved for time.

As a side not, for those who (like me) don't know - when the word "Candy" is in the paint color it requires a slightly different approach and can (though I was fortunate) cost more. I'll have pictures whenever I get it back (though my mechanic has likely already stripped my bike down and started selling the parts on ebay )
post #5 of 16 Old 08-25-2004, 7:39 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

Quote:
I'm useless with tools. I actually did start the work myself. I don't have the right tools (such as a paint gun ) and with the new business now off the ground I'm a little starved for time.

As a side not, for those who (like me) don't know - when the word "Candy" is in the paint color it requires a slightly different approach and can (though I was fortunate) cost more. I'll have pictures whenever I get it back (though my mechanic has likely already stripped my bike down and started selling the parts on ebay )
you getting a custom color? cause the fairing is just a few bolts and can be done in lets say a half hour at most (not sure how the headlight stuff is attached) and the tank is actually pretty straight forward, I did mine. I recommend siphoning it first then take the hoses and electrical conection off then take the gas cap and fuel pump off and reverse when putting the new one on. and handlebars and subframe are pretty straightforward as well (just run the wires the right way around the subframe.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-25-2004, 9:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR929RE
you getting a custom color? cause the fairing is just a few bolts and can be done in lets say a half hour at most (not sure how the headlight stuff is attached) and the tank is actually pretty straight forward, I did mine. I recommend siphoning it first then take the hoses and electrical conection off then take the gas cap and fuel pump off and reverse when putting the new one on. and handlebars and subframe are pretty straightforward as well (just run the wires the right way around the subframe.
Yeah, I'm getting Candy Tahitian Blue (the same as the 04 600RR) for my 02 954. I wasn't worried about doing the plastics, what it boiled down to was the handle bars wouldn't come off for me. The bolt holding it on was seized. I also didn't want to monkey with the electrical at all and the whole left side handle bar needed to be replaced, including the switches (Ironically, I have my EE ). I really should have done all of this myself - I could toss out a million reasons; not enough time, no tools, I'm mechanically-challenged. But it really broke down to utter and complete laziness.

Last edited by symonjester; 08-25-2004 at 9:16 PM.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-25-2004, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

California is just a couple days by regular mail. The silver wing clears over quite well, ask CBRVFR.
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/att...achmentid=3094
post #8 of 16 Old 08-26-2004, 12:16 AM

I think the bike would look super clean w/o the tank decals...just my opinion though
post #9 of 16 Old 08-26-2004, 4:38 AM
Fig

Sounds like Braxton Hicks contractions since they keep delaying it.. How far is your wallet dilated?
Fig
post #10 of 16 Old 08-26-2004, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm getting Candy Tahitian Blue (the same as the 04 600RR) for my 02 954. I wasn't worried about doing the plastics, what it boiled down to was the handle bars wouldn't come off for me. The bolt holding it on was seized. I also didn't want to monkey with the electrical at all and the whole left side handle bar needed to be replaced, including the switches (Ironically, I have my EE ). I really should have done all of this myself - I could toss out a million reasons; not enough time, no tools, I'm mechanically-challenged. But it really broke down to utter and complete laziness.
sweet I love that color. seems like everyone nowadays is doing everything (bikes and cars) with some nice blue. I definetly hear you on tht laziness thing. my dream job is one where I sit there and do absolutley nothing thats probably why I feel a trucking job with no touch loads would be awesome.

post #11 of 16 Old 08-26-2004, 9:19 PM

thats why i do all my own work on my 929. its a lot more gratifing to.
post #12 of 16 Old 08-26-2004, 9:53 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to TGZ13

I do all my own work, decals blah blah blah but paint is where I draw the line

I leave that to the pros
post #13 of 16 Old 08-27-2004, 1:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig
Sounds like Braxton Hicks contractions since they keep delaying it.. How far is your wallet dilated?
Fig
$2,000

Sliders
Flush mount signals
Mirrors
Stator Covers
Oil Change (synth)
Wind Screen
Paint
Decals
License Eliminator
Rear signals
Paint job (candy blue)
Plastic welding (a booboo I didn't know about on the headlamp tabs)
left handle bar
bar ends
foot peg and all the gear crap
and a partridge in a pair tree.
post #14 of 16 Old 08-27-2004, 4:44 PM

Quote:
$2,000

Sliders
Flush mount signals
Mirrors
Stator Covers
Oil Change (synth)
Wind Screen
Paint
Decals
License Eliminator
Rear signals
Paint job (candy blue)
Plastic welding (a booboo I didn't know about on the headlamp tabs)
left handle bar
bar ends
foot peg and all the gear crap
and a partridge in a pair tree.
$2000 for all that seems like a good deal. how much they gonna rape you for labor though?

post #15 of 16 Old 08-27-2004, 5:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR929RE
$2000 for all that seems like a good deal. how much they gonna rape you for labor though?
That includes everything My mechanic just moved his shop to my neck of the woods and is trying to build a name for himself.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page