chain question - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 01-15-2005, 2:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

chain question

I just went out to clean the bike and noticed that the chain has little surface rust on the rollers. I guess I have not been lubing it as well as I should have. There there something I could do to clean it up or should I worry about it. I did just relube with Honda chain lube. Do I have to replace the chain? The chain has 3k miles on it.

Any suggestions?????? any advise.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 01-15-2005, 2:12 PM

Re: chain question

Oh, thought you were calling me. Never mind.

OK, seriously now... try soaking a shop rag in WD40 and working the chain through your clenched hand with the bike on a rear stand. That should remove most of the rust you're talking about. And no, you shouldn't have to replace the chain if you're only dealing with unsightly surface rust as you've described (and the chain has no stuck links or damage beyond what you've described).
post #3 of 30 Old 01-15-2005, 2:22 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain
Oh, thought you were calling me. Never mind.

OK, seriously now... try soaking a shop rag in WD40 and working the chain through your clenched hand with the bike on a rear stand. That should remove most of the rust you're talking about. And no, you shouldn't have to replace the chain if you're only dealing with unsightly surface rust as you've described (and the chain has no stuck links or damage beyond what you've described).

agreed. when finished, (it sounds as if your bike sits outside?) spray the chain with a liberal coat of WD40 and leave it there to avoid further surface rust..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 01-15-2005, 2:24 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

And remember to clean it with the engine OFF on the stand (sorry there are people this is not obvious to)

Must obey the sheep dog
post #5 of 30 Old 01-15-2005, 2:35 PM

Reputation Power: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue
And remember to clean it with the engine OFF on the stand (sorry there are people this is not obvious to)
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I saw the aftermath of someone who had decided to clean the chain with the bike running. It wasn't pretty.
post #6 of 30 Old 01-15-2005, 3:15 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

get the grunge brush and go to work with some wd40 if the rag doesn't work. then obviously take it for like a 15 minute ride to dry off and warm up the chain then relube it and let it cool.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #7 of 30 Old 01-15-2005, 3:54 PM

I donno what a grunge brush is but you shold never use a hard brush cause it damages the o'rings don't ask me how I know
post #8 of 30 Old 01-15-2005, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'timbré
I donno what a grunge brush is but you shold never use a hard brush cause it damages the o'rings don't ask me how I know
its a special brush made for motorcycle chains. does seem like it has hard bristles but it says its o-ring safe http://www.grungebrush.com/

post #9 of 30 Old 01-15-2005, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I saw the aftermath of someone who had decided to clean the chain with the bike running. It wasn't pretty.
if you're stupid enough to consider cleaning it with the engine running, AND IN GEAR, then by all means.....please do. remember to keep the garage door closed, as well. natural gene-pool clensing.....

oh........and use your toothbrush.............you won't be needing it afterwards, anyway.............

Last edited by Rigor; 01-15-2005 at 4:21 PM.
post #10 of 30 Old 01-15-2005, 4:32 PM

Reputation Power: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigor
if you're stupid enough to consider cleaning it with the engine running, AND IN GEAR, then by all means.....please do. remember to keep the garage door closed, as well. natural gene-pool clensing.....

oh........and use your toothbrush.............you won't be needing it afterwards, anyway.............
Yeah, right? I don't understand what people are thinking sometimes. Or, not thinking.
post #11 of 30 Old 01-15-2005, 4:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
agreed. when finished, (it sounds as if your bike sits outside?) spray the chain with a liberal coat of WD40 and leave it there to avoid further surface rust..........

Actually no. It is always garaged kept. I forgot to mention that I washed it with soap and water last week. I made sure to dry everything off and I even used a air compressor to make sure everything was completely dry. I now realized that I forgot to do the same with the chain. I will try and re-clean with WD40 and re-lube.

BTW: thanks for the info on the grunge brush. I knew I could count on the org to help me spend my money. You sum bitches are going to be the death of me.

Thanks for the help
post #12 of 30 Old 01-15-2005, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colryn
BTW: thanks for the info on the grunge brush. I knew I could count on the org to help me spend my money. You sum bitches are going to be the death of me.

Thanks for the help
doesn't this site suck in that regards? glad I could help, its less than $15 so thats one of the smaller spending suggestions on here.

post #13 of 30 Old 01-15-2005, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colryn
Actually no. It is always garaged kept. I forgot to mention that I washed it with soap and water last week. I made sure to dry everything off and I even used a air compressor to make sure everything was completely dry. I now realized that I forgot to do the same with the chain. I will try and re-clean with WD40 and re-lube.

Thanks for the help
not trying to bust on you, but try to avoid using an air compressor to dry your bike, near things like seals, or o-rings. the forced air can actually blow air and water past the seals or o-rings, into places you don't want it. use low air psi in those areas............

i use the compressor to knock the large amounts of water off and try to towel dry as much as possible. you prolly do the same, just throwing that out there....... your results may vary. mastercard and visa excepted. sorry, no american express.

Last edited by Rigor; 01-15-2005 at 5:04 PM.
post #14 of 30 Old 01-15-2005, 6:01 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo
Yeah, right? I don't understand what people are thinking sometimes. Or, not thinking.
And I suppose you and Rigor have never done anything stupid, me neither I stated that for the 'other' people.

Must obey the sheep dog
post #15 of 30 Old 01-15-2005, 6:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
not trying to bust on you, but try to avoid using an air compressor to dry your bike, near things like seals, or o-rings. the forced air can actually blow air and water past the seals or o-rings, into places you don't want it. use low air psi in those areas............

i use the compressor to knock the large amounts of water off and try to towel dry as much as possible. you prolly do the same, just throwing that out there....... your results may vary. mastercard and visa excepted. sorry, no american express.
Ah crap, all I have is Discover. Sorry. Will catch you next time around.

Good info on the air hose. I will use with caution next time.

Thanks......

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page