good ol' standard shift vs gp shift?? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-17-2006, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

good ol' standard shift vs gp shift??

Well not really versus. If I by a used racebike with GP shift, does the swap back to standard shift usually require parts? Kind of vague question I know but I have never done the swap before and want to know if I will need to spend more money to switch it back to standard. I think this particular bike has Pro-Tek rearsets.And than this bike has a carb instead of Fuel injected. But that is another story and preference all together. Oh my. So many choices.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-17-2006, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Re: good ol' standard shift vs gp shift??

Depends on the bike and the rearsets.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-17-2006, 12:19 PM

Yes, you'll spend money. How much depends on the bike.

Or you could just swap with someone who wants Pro-Tek rearsets.

edit: Jinx. You owe me a coke, BDA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-17-2006, 12:22 PM

Depends on the bike, but on most with aftermarket rearsets, they're designed to work with both GP and Regular shift by simple changes, and no extra parts needed.

Dunno anything about your specific case...

post #5 of 11 Old 08-17-2006, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean View Post
Depends on the bike, but on most with aftermarket rearsets, they're designed to work with both GP and Regular shift by simple changes, and no extra parts needed.

Dunno anything about your specific case...
I know I was vague in the description, but that is answer I was hoping for. Next question, now that most everyone is using Fuel injected bikes, would "you" ever go back to a carb? Or are there just to many cons? My first bike was carb'ed but since I only have used FI. My dilema is in picking up a different track bike. I have access to a nice 03' 600RR. For around $5500. But I can get many more spares/parts to go along with a 00' r6 for around $3500. It seems I have seen this discussion before on this site.......New technology vs old.....
post #6 of 11 Old 08-19-2006, 1:35 AM

I personally enjoy my carbed bike.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-19-2006, 11:12 AM

Reputation Power: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyauch View Post
I know I was vague in the description, but that is answer I was hoping for. Next question, now that most everyone is using Fuel injected bikes, would "you" ever go back to a carb? Or are there just to many cons? My first bike was carb'ed but since I only have used FI. My dilema is in picking up a different track bike. I have access to a nice 03' 600RR. For around $5500. But I can get many more spares/parts to go along with a 00' r6 for around $3500. It seems I have seen this discussion before on this site.......New technology vs old.....
Unless we are talking two strokes or dirt bikes where you need to be able to make almost all repairs out on the field, I would never go back. FI is so much easier and simpler to work on. Much less maintenance also.

Ride Red
post #8 of 11 Old 08-19-2006, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Reputation Power: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedro View Post
Unless we are talking two strokes or dirt bikes where you need to be able to make almost all repairs out on the field, I would never go back. FI is so much easier and simpler to work on. Much less maintenance also.

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #9 of 11 Old 08-19-2006, 5:06 PM

I agree with nedro & Red Rider. As for the shifting pattern I would tend to stick with normal unless you are dead set on road racing.

When the Brit irons came back on the market in '40 they were all with foot shifts with up for first & down for the rest bar Triumph that was reverse. Probably one of the reasons so many of us choosed to modify the Triumph for road racing though also you could get a Triumph Tiger 100 with dual intake manifold & so dual carbs plus lots of variations in pistons, valves, & so much more.

Though often in both dirt & road riding real road racing sometimes we would make the error of down shifting when we should have been upshifting--------poor old bike made some terrible sounds so bar the Triumph we all stuck with the normal shifting though in dirt we made the change in the pattern of the Triumph for when you are standing up on the footrests & bucking along with the bike it was so much easier to simply press down the lever to obtain a lower gear RATHER then try to get the foot under the shift lever to lift up.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-19-2006, 6:31 PM

Reputation Power: 18

I dont really think its a question of carbs verses FI, its more which is the better bike? As there is nothing wrong with a set of well tuned carbs its more the fact that a most bikes that have carbs are starting to get a bit long in the tooth, If you are just after a good track bike The R6 will be a great bike, if you are thinking of racing I would be leaning towards the 600RR

Just my 2c

2004 1000RR Racebike

www.jungleboyracing.com
post #11 of 11 Old 10-13-2016, 6:46 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungleboy View Post
I dont really think its a question of carbs verses FI, its more which is the better bike? As there is nothing wrong with a set of well tuned carbs its more the fact that a most bikes that have carbs are starting to get a bit long in the tooth, If you are just after a good track bike The R6 will be a great bike, if you are thinking of racing I would be leaning towards the 600RR

Just my 2c
I seem recall one year where Yamaha went back to carbs. Not sure if it was R6 or R1. I recall one of the magazines talking about that they switched over to FI and it didn't be work well so the following year was carbureted, then they "got it right" afterwards.

-My 06 Fireblade Build Thread
-Her 02 CBR600F4i Custom Suspension
-My 07 CRF230F sold
-My 97 XR100
-07 CRF50F son's
-92 CB750 She lets me ride it, Jetted
-13 CRF110F, 01XR50 Daughter's

Because 12,000 RPM makes me feel better

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page