Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Is Akrapovic Really Worth the Extra Money?

11K views 37 replies 14 participants last post by  tuffy6969 
#1 ·
Right now I have a Yoshimura Tri-Oval (Stainless) and it sound great, but I want a carbon fiber pipe. I really don't want another Yoshi because they are typically 'Suzuki' pipes. It was on the bike when I got it.

I went on HRC's website and saw that they use the Akra for their F4i kit. I figure if they use it then surely they have a reason (or results) to believe that it is the best pipe for the bike. Plus it looks good IMO.

Oh, I'm running a PCIII and K&N air filter.

So, is the Akra worth the extra coin?

#12 ·
I like the stock one! heavy cheap (it's there) and in a crash who cares 20 bucks on ebay:deal:.

why do you want to go from a crash worthy stainless to a carbon can that might not hold up as well? i don't think you can do much better than yoshi!

disclaimer: no i have never crashed....

#13 ·
You know what Killer - BDA is bias and so is Repeater and so am I. You are just going to need to go with your gut instinct.

I kind of think BDA took an unwarranted cheap shot at Akrapovic....:thumbd: but that is HIS opinion and he's been riding for a while and he knows his shit (from what I can tell). So...weigh his opinion. I happen to love my pipe. That is MY opinion. :thumb:

#21 ·
Well guys....

I went with the Akrapovic. I ordered it today. Thanks to another thread here where a member mentioned Parts411 I was able to order it cheaper than any cycle shop in town and online. The lowest I've seen it locally is $525, and Woods Fun Center (for those who know the place) wanted over $600 for it :eek: . I called Parts411 and they informed me that the midpipe comes with the slip-on. I got it for $407 shipped. Now the waiting game. 5-10 working days.

Why did I go with the Akra? Well, because I did not really want another Yoshi (although it is a great pipe) and every other pipe IMO is a distant second. Also, as I mentioned above, I was leaning more toward the Akra because HRC uses it for the F4i kit. Also, my Power Commander software has a real close map for my set-up with the Akra. I just need to find out the difference between California and European addition F4i's. I'll probably keep the best performing map regardless, but it would be nice to know.

I will post my opinion when I change out my Yoshimura Tri Oval with the Akrapovic.

#30 ·
I like the Akra I have & that's all that matters. It's my bike & my $$$. You won't be diappointed in the can but I ordered 1 from them & it tokk longer then I expected so don't be surpised if it takes longer then they told you. Problem is most internet store don't stock much of anything. they'll get it from an east coast warehouse, ship it to them on the left coast to repackage it W/their shipping labels to send it back to you (as in my case the east coast) sucks but that's how you can save $$$
Just my :twocents: on this subject:idunno:

#37 ·
Aight yall. I got my Akrapovic in today and here is the run down (first impression).

1. I took it out of the box and took a look inside of the pipe and it looks like it has more 'stuff' inside of it than my Yoshimura (cool).

2. Tapped on the pipe with my fist to see if it was just a carbon fiber sleeve over aluminum. Also squeezed it firmly to verify that is was in fact all carbon fiber. It is. (I'm impressed)

3. The spring fasteners are a thicker gauge spring than my Yoshimura and it has the little rubber spring covers on them (cool).

4. It is definately lighter than my Yoshi.

5. Turned on the bike and instantly discovered a deeper, more 'bassier' rumble than my Yoshi (awesome)

6. Took it on the back roads for a test spin and I think I feel the difference in my throttle response. I thought that maybe it was just me so the next time I got into first gear I raised the front wheel and usually I have to throttle back pretty aggressively to pop a clutchless wheelie, but this time it was so effortless that it scared me. Yup, definately more throttle response (I am very, very pleased with this pipe)

So.... to answer my own question: Is the Akrapovic worth the extra money? I would say ABSOLUTELY YES, not just because I spent my money on it and I want people to think I made a good choice because it costed so much but because of all of the items I listed above.

Hope this helps others with the same dilema.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.