New Motorcyclist Fatality Data (and it ain't pretty) - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 11-15-2006, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

New Motorcyclist Fatality Data (and it ain't pretty)

This is a long but important document.

If you do nothing else, review Findings 1.2 on page 11 and scroll across a few of the charts and tables scattered throughout the file later on -OR- better yet, consider devoting some time to reviewing the entire work. I've read most of this and I think you'll find the information thought provoking to say the least.

The implication is, drunken Baby Boomer Harley owners (and perhaps some of the metric wannabes) who are purchasing large displacement motorcycles and riding them without helmets are the chief cause of the upswing in fatalities... at least that's the way I read it.

http://www.accidentreconstruction.co...fatalaties.pdf

It's pretty fuggin' scary no matter how you cut it. Fatalities have gone up each year since 1997. Punitive legislation and higher insurance premiums for everyone will surely be the long term result.

This puts the massive weekend poker runs and bar ride-outs that take place around here into a whole new perspective...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-15-2006, 1:02 PM

Re: New Motorcyclist Fatality Data (and it ain't pretty)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
It's pretty fuggin' scary no matter how you cut it. Fatalities have gone up each year since 1997. Punitive legislation and higher insurance premiums for everyone will surely be the long term result.

This puts the massive weekend poker runs and bar ride-outs that take place around here into a whole new perspective...

Thanks for the find, I'll read it when I get home.

Poker runs and bar rides have always been a scary thought to me, so I've stayed away. What is worse, is insurance on some of thsose bikes and those people is cheaper than some of us who ride and dress respectful of the danger.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-15-2006, 1:28 PM

Reputation Power: 16

I'd like to see this crossed over with a Motorcycle Accident chart. Fatalities are one thing and may be related to the repealing of helmet laws but I'd like to know if non-fatal accidents are on the rise as well.

---

-Rob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 11-15-2006, 1:37 PM

I'm sure they are, every couple days down here in FL, i see a bike wrecked or an accident on the side of the road...minor crashes...wouldn't suprise me if non-fatals went up exponentially.
post #5 of 19 Old 11-15-2006, 3:13 PM
rb1

Quote:
The implication is, drunken Baby Boomer Harley owners (and perhaps some of the metric wannabes) who are purchasing large displacement motorcycles and riding them without helmets are the chief cause of the upswing in fatalities.
Exactly as I've suspected for some time.
post #6 of 19 Old 11-15-2006, 3:23 PM

Reputation Power: 43

Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe

I for one am looking forward to all the wonderfully creative ways people will misinterpret and misrepresent these figures.

And then there's this asshole...
post #7 of 19 Old 11-15-2006, 3:34 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Interesting that the % wrecks due to drunkeness (Chart17) seems to have decreased as has the % wrecks due to speed (Chart16)

Must obey the sheep dog
post #8 of 19 Old 11-15-2006, 4:24 PM

Reputation Power: 21

The largest incease is in guys over 40 driving literbikes. Yipes, that's me! Maybe I should trade in the Blade for a Vespa...
post #9 of 19 Old 11-15-2006, 9:20 PM

Same thing is happening in Australia, near 50yos going back to biking and buying a litre bike. They think they are just as fit/skilled and have as much reaction time as they used to. They also think that they can give it as much throttle as they use to.

The other stat is an increase in younger rider fatalities. I contribute this to the privatisation of the rider training industry resulting in decreasing standards and the lack of understanding of reality (due to removal of monkey bars at school becuase the shouldnt hurt themselves etc and expectations that the damage (or lack of) when you crash in computer games is the same as on the road).

Maybe they should all go on a course which makes you crash at 20-40kph so you can appreciate the potential damage/hurt from a higher speed incident.
post #10 of 19 Old 11-15-2006, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steingar View Post
The largest incease is in guys over 40 driving literbikes. Yipes, that's me! Maybe I should trade in the Blade for a Vespa...
I don't believe that is from "sportbikes".

I see nothing in that report that is out of line with demographics and riders returning to the motorcycle, again, or for the first time.

The numbers really aren't that bad. Population is up, ridership is up, deaths are going to go up too.

Statistically, I'd say it is meaningless.
post #11 of 19 Old 11-16-2006, 6:03 AM

Reputation Power: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by phobiaphobe View Post
I for one am looking forward to all the wonderfully creative ways people will misinterpret and misrepresent these figures.

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #12 of 19 Old 11-16-2006, 9:40 AM

Maybe at 40 you switch off the ability to ride litre bikes....LOL Before you rip into me I am ridiculing the sentiment given only as i two am fast approaching the big 40, in a couple of years anyway!!!!! At this point I definately have no intension of dropping cubes when the 40 hits
post #13 of 19 Old 11-16-2006, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steingar View Post
Not literbikes like YOU'RE thinking... Baby Boomers are typically buying huge displacement v-twin cruisers, not sportbikes.

My personal experiences as a law enforcement officer along with this lengthy study and other anecdotal evidence suggests to me what I've suspected for a few years now.

Buying a big, shiny new bike is a cool thing to do for alot of folks in their 40s and 50s. They're hitting the highways and byways with costumes, not gear (read: the same little lightweight sleeveless leather vest, black t-shirt, blue jeans and novelty helmet). They have no riding experience. And they're dying.

I feel we too will eventually pay the price along with them.
post #14 of 19 Old 11-16-2006, 1:37 PM

Quote:
They're hitting the highways and byways with costumes, not gear (read: the same little lightweight sleeveless leather vest, black t-shirt, blue jeans and novelty helmet).
Last summer my wife and I while traveling had seen a large number cruisers
all wearing the same outfits. My wife suggested that they must get a "Bikers Kit" with their bike purchase.

Peer pressure can be dangerous to ones health.
post #15 of 19 Old 11-16-2006, 2:22 PM

Reputation Power: 42

Good thread...

While I think it seems to be the conventional wisdom among riders that cruisers are becoming overrepresented in these stats, I'm not sure you can really draw that conclusion from the study...

While seemingly obvious to someone setting up the study, the groupings of 501-1000 and 1001-1500 are poorly made.

I'd like to see them refilter the data using 651-1150 just for kicks...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page