WA - State Troopers Crack Down On Motorcyclist (Video) - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 03-28-2007, 1:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

WA - State Troopers Crack Down On Motorcyclist (Video)

Troopers Crack Down On MotorcyclistsPOSTED: 4:49 pm PDT March 26, 2007UPDATED: 6:26 pm PDT March 26, 2007SEATTLE -- Washington State Patrol troopers are cracking down on speeding motorcyclists after a fatal crash involving a motorcycle on Interstate 90 Sunday night.The motorcyclist was killed after slamming into an SUV on the I-90 bridge. According to the state patrol, motorcyclists think they are free to speed.“These are motorcycles they sell and they will go over 150 mph and they do make it difficult for us to catch,” Trooper Brad Olsen said. The Washington State Patrol also uses their airplane to track motorcyclists and watch where they stop and then send a trooper over to make an arrest.“It was an open road, he must have just gone for it,” a witness said about Sunday night’s crash.According to the state patrol, Mario Blandi of Renton died instantly after he was riding his motorcycle over 100 mph and slammed into the back of the SUV, the bike exploding on impact.Blandi died instantly.According to troopers, Blandi had his motorcycle endorsement, but troopers said many of the recent fatalities are inexperienced riders without the proper certification.A new bill in the state Senate would allow troopers to impound motorcycles if they discover the driver isn’t licensed to ride it.</p>Video can be seen at State Troopers Crack Down On Motorcyclists - News
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-28-2007, 1:12 PM

Re: WA - State Troopers Crack Down On Motorcyclist (Video)

Okay, now I agree if you don't have the license you shouldn't be riding it... however that doesn't give them the right to impound the bike. You don't get your car taken away for driving without a license so why should that law work for a bike?
post #3 of 14 Old 03-28-2007, 1:46 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Seems like a wierd double standard but I would be in favor of them impounding cars that are driven by unlicensed drivers. A lot fewer people would let their unlicensed friends drive and ride if they were worried that they would have to get their vehicle out of impound. It would also be taking cars from a lot of unlisenced and uninsured illegals. Maybe we would all see our uninsured motorist coverage rates reduced. If you don't have a license (or valid permit) you shouldn't be on the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-28-2007, 3:52 PM

In Florida, if you do not have a motorcycle endorsement on your license, and are riding a motorcycle, you are driving without a license. Your bike WILL be confiscated, and you WILL go straight to jail. You do not just get a ticket.
Yes, if you are stopped driving a car without a license, your vehicle is confiscated and you go to jail.

Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfuldragon View Post
Okay, now I agree if you don't have the license you shouldn't be riding it... however that doesn't give them the right to impound the bike. You don't get your car taken away for driving without a license so why should that law work for a bike?
post #5 of 14 Old 03-28-2007, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Blue View Post
In Florida, if you do not have a motorcycle endorsement on your license, and are riding a motorcycle, you are driving without a license. Your bike WILL be confiscated, and you WILL go straight to jail. You do not just get a ticket.
Yes, if you are stopped driving a car without a license, your vehicle is confiscated and you go to jail.

Blue
Oh yeah? Well... I'd just turn on my rocket pack and leave those coppers in the dust!!!

I'm not saying you shouldn't pay a VERY heavy fine or even go to jail but the fact is I don't want some know nothing twit trying to load and unload my bike into something with the chance of dropping it and breaking something (they aren't going to pay for). But then again I don't do anything to get my ride taken away from me so I guess I have nothing to worry about.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-28-2007, 4:05 PM

Quote:
But then again I don't do anything to get my ride taken away from me so I guess I have nothing to worry about.
That is the key point. Those who ARE following the rules don't have anything to worry about.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-28-2007, 5:00 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Send a message via AIM to schnogg Send a message via Yahoo to schnogg

Woah hold on. Just when is a Tracker considered a SUV?

No this tire hunted Mary down! This tire murdered Mary!
post #8 of 14 Old 03-28-2007, 5:20 PM

Hell, the SUV driver probably seen him coming and thought, DAM, he shouldnt be doing that. Then he thought "I will put an end to this b4 he hurts someone", and so he did. Most of the times that i have seen, that is what happens. Hell it happened to me this morning. I was running about 65-75 in the HOV lane and a car cut me off, just because i was moving faster than them. Yelled out the window and told me to slow down. Ignorant ass people.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-28-2007, 5:50 PM

Reputation Power: 27

Sportbikes are the devil.

I do all my own stunts.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-28-2007, 7:06 PM

Reputation Power: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfuldragon View Post
That makes no sense. If you aren't licensed to drive then you SHOULD get it towed. It should be that way for pretty much anything. What gets me is insurance. Why is it that when you get pulled over by the police on your bike they never ask for insurance? Ive gotten pulled over prolly 10 times or so and not once did they ever ask for proof of insurance.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-28-2007, 9:40 PM

Some states (such as Florida) do not require insurance on a motorcycle.
FL is a little tricky on that point though. You may legally operate a motorcycle without insurance but it is illegal to be involved in an accident without insurance. Strange, but true.

Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITEITUP View Post
That makes no sense. If you aren't licensed to drive then you SHOULD get it towed. It should be that way for pretty much anything. What gets me is insurance. Why is it that when you get pulled over by the police on your bike they never ask for insurance? Ive gotten pulled over prolly 10 times or so and not once did they ever ask for proof of insurance.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-28-2007, 9:43 PM

In Arizona the police can impound a vehicle if the driver doesn't have a license. I think it's a fair rule, impounding. You can get the bike back once you pay the fee. Here it's about $12 a day storage fee and a $24 towing charge. The part that sucks is 95&#37; of tow truck drivers have no clue how to tow a bike the correct way.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-28-2007, 10:14 PM

now what about the TX law? Tryin to find out so I can tell some of the guys I know who ride bikes without a "M" license...
post #14 of 14 Old 03-28-2007, 10:38 PM

I'm not sure what the law is here in Iowa but last fall I watched a guy getting his bike impounded. I rode past a few times just so I could watch the whole process. The cops left the guy and his girlfriend standing on the street corner while they loaded his bike on the back of a truck.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page