Flying Objects - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 03-28-2007, 2:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Flying Objects

In my lifetime I have hit four pheasants, a hawk, and half dozen or so assorted songbirds all in various four-wheeled vehicles. I have also been hit with all sorts of flying rocks and other assorted road debris.

So my question is how many of you have hit or been hit with this kind of stuff while riding? Does it hurt as bad as I could imagine? Will a flying rock penetrate a visor? Are different visors better or worse in this regard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-28-2007, 2:40 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Send a message via Yahoo to slorider18
Re: Flying Objects

i have been hit by a bunch or rocks and it stings like a mother. i also hit a safety cone once....that's another story.
i don't think a rock would go through a visor. i could see it cracking one though. but it would have to be going pretty fast. and on a side note, my buddy hit a hawk with a golf ball at off of the tee once. it was pretty funny.
post #3 of 31 Old 03-28-2007, 3:06 PM

I have been hit with three birdstrikes. One tried to make it through the radiator like it was a tiny cheesegrater and two hit me.

Fortunately, I was wearing leathers when they hit as one would have put a beak in my heart. The one that hit where my heart was knocked the wind out of me and left a large bruise. It was a small bird at 35mph. It exploded into dozens of feathers and a small mass. My next bird strike came just a week later and hit next to my neck. If I hadn't of worn my helmet like most riders in Kansas, it had the potential to knock me out if it struck my face. That bird would have at least knocked my visor off the helmet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 03-28-2007, 3:13 PM
rb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwill View Post
Will a flying rock penetrate a visor? Are different visors better or worse in this regard?
It is possible, if it is a big rock, if it is flying towards you, and if you are moving very fast. Most visors are made to meet the same DOT standards. Shark makes an extra thick shield for the RSR-2, but I don't know if it actually protects any better than the others. Avoid cheapo helmets that don't even manage to meet DOT standards. You might get a tiny bit more protection by adding race tear-offs.
post #5 of 31 Old 03-28-2007, 3:21 PM

I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Only thing I have ever hit is bugs.

Now, I was riding once many many years ago with another guy riding in front of me who hit a possom. I in turn ALMOST hit him. We were riding at night just minding our own business going about 30 down a dark road. Next thing I know I see brake lights and the tail end of his FZR shoot up in the air. I hit the brakes hard and come just an inch or so from hitting him. Damn little possom got back up and ran away. That got the blood pumpin that night.
post #6 of 31 Old 03-28-2007, 3:32 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 17

So far all that I have hit on my bike is bugs but I have had a couple of those really sting.

My mom's cousin had a yellow jacket or hornet fly down into his leather jacket and it sure had fun with him until he could get pulled over and get the jacket off.
post #7 of 31 Old 03-28-2007, 4:04 PM

I took a vulture head on into the face shield at 70 mph a couple years ago.
It was about the same as having a 250 lb linebacker give you his best shot in the face with a tennis racquet. :-) The vulture exploded on impact and it peeled both hands off the bars. Was riding no hands and blind for a couple secs.

Blue
post #8 of 31 Old 03-28-2007, 11:16 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Send a message via MSN to steven0367

i don't know if a rock would penetrate a visor but i have been stung on the face by bees on several occasions, each time i was was wearing a full face with the visor slightly up, they get stuck in your helmet and they sting you. scares the crap out you and you cant pull over fast enougth to get your helmet off

i just ride it.
post #9 of 31 Old 03-28-2007, 11:42 PM

i havent had much, i had been sand blasted one time(im sure we all have). i got on a highway near me and 2 dump trucks or whatever they are were in front of me full of ****. i coulda sworn my skin was getting torn off, but with the animal situation, i actually almost ran over a little dog today who ran in front of me when i was turning a corner and last summer my friend took a bird to his face shield. i must say it was pretty funny sight to be behind him.
post #10 of 31 Old 03-28-2007, 11:57 PM

Reputation Power: 19

I hit a raccoon once. Had a little blood on my front fender, and a raised heart beat. For some damn reason rocks love to hit my knees. I've been hit I don't know how many times. They sting pretty good, but no injury resulting.

Richie

-Richie-
post #11 of 31 Old 04-07-2007, 12:39 AM

Reputation Power: 14

once a bird flew in the sunroof of my car and exploded into the passenger window... only bugs on the bike though
post #12 of 31 Old 04-07-2007, 8:11 AM

Reputation Power: 15

I've been chased down the highway by a bottle rocket....it happened on fourth of july like 3 years ago, thats why I don't like people setting off fireworks on the side of the damn highway
post #13 of 31 Old 04-07-2007, 11:05 AM

I hit a junebug in softspot right below my adams apple one day and thought somebody ****ing shot me it hurt so bad
post #14 of 31 Old 04-07-2007, 2:46 PM

Reputation Power: 16

I hit a bumbebee at speed (speeds that I'm not going to comment on) and it left a HUGE bruise on my knee. Nothing worse than a paintball shot but I was still surprised.

I've got bees and hornets in my jacket before; took off the jacket at work and it flew out (phew!).

---

-Rob.
post #15 of 31 Old 04-07-2007, 3:02 PM

Reputation Power: 14

I have been hit in the chest by a bird, hit it foot and ancle by a chunk of road, hit in the face by a bee that stung me, and a friend hit me with a paint ball gun (orange) while I drove off- some friend ha. All of these hits I did not fall, but I would say the bird was the worst.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page