Dislocated Shoulder, How Long Before Back On Bike - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 03-29-2007, 9:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Dislocated Shoulder, How Long Before Back On Bike

Hi,

I dislocated my right shoulder (fell off roof, not bike) and would like some feedback from others that had same on how long before they could safely get back on bike.

I ride a 1998 FireBlade.

Thanks

Old1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-29-2007, 9:10 AM

Re: Dislocated Shoulder, How Long Before Back On Bike

Should have asked the Doc what he thought... you know since you were already there
post #3 of 13 Old 03-29-2007, 9:14 AM Thread Starter

Good point, but doc probably has no idea about what goes on riding a bike.

Things like weight bearing on arms (sports bike), sudden jolts etc.

Old1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-29-2007, 10:32 AM

Ok, I have some experience with this.

On September 15th of 06 I put the bike down and had a badly dislocated shoulder. Had an obvious bone that was sticking up way higher than it should on my left side. Went around with the docs hoping that with just some rest and a little rehab it would get better, it didn't. Near the end of January I had surgery on it. They ended up sawing off the end of the bone that was sticking up, drilling holes in my collar bone and a bone on my back where the ligaments had completely come off of. They sewed the ligaments back on the bone and then used what is basically a toggle bolt through the holes in the bones to keep it secured while it healed.
A couple weeks later I went in for a check up and had an x-ray. The x-ray showed the the toggle bolt was working it's way up back through the hole. SO, they had to take me in for surgery#2 in mid February. Good news, the ligaments that were sewn on were holding find, the toggle was just coming out. So this time he took what is basically surgical rope and tied up the shoulder using the holes he drilled last time. Kinda like a zip tie in my shoulder. Since the surgery I have been doing a lot of physical therapy. The first 4 weeks was with no resistance at all, just going for range of motion return. I've since been given clearance to start using resistance so am using small weights and bands to start to get the strength back. It still hurts every day, but not bad enough to have to take anything more than Aleve.
I went for my first big ride this past Saturday ( about 110 miles ) and I was really sore the next couple days.

To answer your question, how long will it take? That all depends on how severely separated your shoulder is. Mine was about as bad as you can get.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-29-2007, 10:44 AM

Reputation Power: 20

i would say that if you can do a shoulder press and bench press with no pain, or atleast where your shoulder won't give out or buckle on you then you're ok to go.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-29-2007, 10:59 AM

Reputation Power: 27

As long as you can do it without pain you should be good to go. Connective tissue is not as vascular as other tissue therefore it heals slower unless you can inprove the blood flow. Did the doc give you any exercises or special movements to promote healing and prevent stiffness? Did he prescribe anything for inflammation? If you are taking anything for pain I would be leary of over using that shoulder while on pain medication too.

I do all my own stunts.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-29-2007, 12:03 PM

i had a broken scapula and i rode a bike after about 3 or 4 weeks it happened. it was only like around a couple blocks though
post #8 of 13 Old 03-29-2007, 12:28 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Good point, but doc probably has no idea about what goes on riding a bike.
You never know, I know quite a few Docs that ride and in three more years I'll be one more on that list. However, even if he doesn't ride it is a question that I'm sure he'd be willing to discuss. A lot of docs like questions like that because it gives them a chance to look up something more interesting than "snot." If he doesn't really think about it and just says, "no, stay off the bike" then ask him more questions about his specific concerns with you riding. Did you have an MRI, CT, or just X-Rays? They give a better idea or what damage you actually did. If you don't have any or much tissue damage then as long as it doesn't hurt you should be okay.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-30-2007, 12:27 AM

So much will depend upon the damage you did. As one above mentioned you should have asked at the time.

My left was dislocated & damaged when flat tracking, dirt hill climbing & MXing. Also when in comp downhill to Giant Slalom some yrs back & so often I had to ask someone to correct it though on two occasions a helper snaped in the WRONG WAY. Plus I had a bad accident of dislocating the same shoulder when Practicing in Observed Trials & thought I had broken my neck, but while in concussion/shock I must have corrected it with my legs flailing around at the dirt. So in my case I have done it often & it will continue to give trouble. Oh yes I also did in Amateur Wrestling back in '49.

In '03 I tore the front & back muscles of my right shoulder, though not dislocated, so along with three broken ribs I was back to short runs on the 929 three days later to a bit longer every 3 or 4 days till I was clocking 5 to 8 hrs & forgetting it was the right. Mind you the riding & working out in the gym helped a lot.

Mind you when you become older, as I am it does take longer to heal!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 13 Old 04-01-2007, 9:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply guys.

Looks like I might have done a bit more damage than the Xrays indicated when I did it.

6 weeks later and I am still in pain and can not raise my arm above horizontal. End up in pain for the simplest movement from time to time.
Back to the doc for some ultra sounds this week.

Pushing it up hill to pore a beer from a bottle tonight with my damaged arm after helping my wife screw a cupboard together. That is a worry....

Good to hear from you Smitty, it was only yesterday I was wondering wondering what was happening with you.

My logon is a bit out of place compared to you as I am only 54 this year and from your description you are made sterner stuff than me.

Regards

Rick
post #11 of 13 Old 04-01-2007, 5:58 PM

A guy on another forum injured his shoulder and had to have a long titanium pin surgically put in. The doctors pulled the temporary pin out after a couple months and a few weeks later he could do some light riding. It's now been like 5 months and he's ready to do track days again.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-03-2007, 4:31 PM

Rick I am sorry to hear about your shoulder. Hope for the best & do let us know for I have a hunch what you have been going through.

The physical state of a fellow rider & especially a regular on the board is important to us & we learn a lot.

Like just a few days ago I found that this "trick leg" is really Plantar Fascia & has turned into Plantar Fascitis (all knew stuff to me), but then to so many of us it is also called "Heel Spur" which is like driving a 3' spike up from the heel to the knee in one sharp blast of some of the wrost pain one can receive. So good reason why sometimes I hit the floor or ground when it sends the pain up the leg which is the result of the "trick leg". Little wonder my left ankle is always swollen & why when I stop ONLY the right foot is put to the ground plus why I have to dramatically move the gear changing lever (also why I hate the modern set-up compared to the very opposit to most bikes prior to '64--being right change lever & left the brake pedal) way beyond the adjustable bar, by changing the lever on the spline of the gear change lever.

Last edited by Smitty; 04-03-2007 at 4:40 PM.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-06-2007, 1:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Smitty,

Off to have ultra sound and x-ray scans on Tuesday so might get a bit of an idea how long it will be.

Looks like the best riding weather has passed me by out here whilst I am off the bike.

I will let you know what the outcome is next week.

Rick

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page