Informal Poll: Would you buy a bike from these people? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-07-2007, 9:00 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 11-18-2006
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15
   
Informal Poll: Would you buy a bike from these people?

Honda Canada is implementing a new strategy for their dealership network known as "Powerhouse". It is an attempt at leveraging the power of the "Honda" brand. Select Honda automobile dealers will be re-invented and upgraded in order to feature every Honda consumer product- Automobile's, Motorcycles, ATV's, and power equipment- for sale under one roof. The main idea is that people who own and are pleased with a Honda product will be exposed to the entire line of products when they visit their local powerhouse dealer. For the dealership, it adds the opportunity to expand their customer base and therefore more revenue. One result of this program is that many stand alone motorcycle/ATV dealers have been canceled- specifically multi brand dealers and so called "dirt floor" dealers. Some dealers, who have been with Honda since they landed in Canada, have been served notice that they have been canceled. And now to the questions:

- would you be happy dealing with a salesperson or dealership whose expertise and passion may be spread across the entire spectrum of products

- would the shopping/buying experience be acceptable if you sensed that the dealership or it's people were not really part of the "motorcycling culture"

-will this strategy result in a needed increase in the level of service sometimes lacking at our local motorcycle dealerships


I would like to hear comments from any users of this forum-people who belong to the culture of motorcycling. I am attending a meeting at the end of this month at Honda Canada and would love to contribute ideas and comments from real motorcycle riders. Thank you.
pmlavigne is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 11-07-2007, 9:04 PM
 
Join Date: 07-20-2004
Location: Canada
Age: 40
Posts: 723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16
 
Re: Informal Poll: Would you buy a bike from these people?

old news... but have you been to one of the "all honda" stores yet to see what it's like before this gets too far into car store bashing?

---

-Rob.
SpikedLemon is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 11-07-2007, 9:13 PM
 
.OrgOwner's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-16-2007
Age: 54
Posts: 2,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18
       
Re: Informal Poll: Would you buy a bike from these people?

This is very much going to depend on who they employ, how they structure the stores and train the employees. It may well be a very positive step if it is well executed. I bet you will find good and bad examples based on either business model. Does it result in better deals for the customer?
.OrgOwner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 11-07-2007, 9:30 PM
 
Join Date: 04-16-2006
Location: Middessa Tx
Posts: 1,640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17
     
Re: Informal Poll: Would you buy a bike from these people?

i think it sounds all good. It will just depent on the salesmen and their knowledge of what they sell. and the customer service of course. we all know that honda has very good products, but most people have no knowledge of honda besides a car of a motorcycle. this is gonna help with sales i think.
rokitt51 is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 11-08-2007, 8:05 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 11-18-2006
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15
   
Re: Informal Poll: Would you buy a bike from these people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikedLemon View Post
old news... but have you been to one of the "all honda" stores yet to see what it's like before this gets too far into car store bashing?

I'm not "bashing" these stores at all, in fact I think it could work well for Honda. My concern is for Honda- will this concept mesh "culturally" with motorcyclists? Every time I enter a bike dealership I smell the rubber, the leather, a bit of gasoline- it's like I have entered a temple of riding. The people who own and work in these shops are all riders. Their knowledge, dedication, and passion about the sport is generally unquestioned. Will you, the experienced rider, who is also knowledgeable, dedicated, and passionate about our sport, feel the same way when you walk into a "powerhouse" dealership? Can you feature yourself in one of those dealerships having a meaningful discussion about such things as Power Commanders, rearsets, Scotts dampers, and so on? It is very early days to be drawing conclusions and it is true that it may come down to how an individual dealership is able to put the right people into place. Right now I'm just giving it the "smell" test.
pmlavigne is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 11-08-2007, 10:59 AM
 
Join Date: 02-11-2007
Location: .
Posts: 2,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17
     
Re: Informal Poll: Would you buy a bike from these people?

I like the feel of a nice bike dealership compared to big corporate car dealerships. I walk into my dealership and everyone in there knows what I ride and what I'm interested in. I think that the overall concept could work well for Honda but I would prefer to go to an actual bike shop. The big "powerhouse" dealerships might end up making more sales to the middle age guy who was going in to look at an S2000 and ends up coming out with a 1KRR instead, but is that a good thing? Honda makes more money on the S2000 I'm sure. I don't think that very many people are going to go in to buy an Accord and come out with an Accord, lawnmower, and 600RR just because they were all Honda's being sold under one roof. Lastly, the typical bike shop, lawnmower shop, etc. carries more than one brand. That allows you to compare to apples to apples. I don't want to go in to a big "Honda Emporium" to compare an Accord to a 600RR just because they were both made by Honda. I would rather go down to the bike shop that carries Honda, Triumph, and Yamaha and compare the similar models from each of three. Just the same as I would go to Home Depot to compare the Honda mower, John Deere mower, and Toro mower. If Honda really wants to let its loyal customers know that they make other products then they could add one little corner to the showroom and place a 600RR, weed wacker, and a lawn mower in there with some brochures and addresses to the local shops that sell them. Then when you buy a car they could give you a "loyalty coupon" good for 5% off a Honda power product purchased in the next 6 months, 12 months, whatever.
slickwill is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 11-09-2007, 10:18 PM
 
Join Date: 07-20-2004
Location: Canada
Age: 40
Posts: 723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16
 
Re: Informal Poll: Would you buy a bike from these people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmlavigne View Post
I'm not "bashing" these stores at all, in fact I think it could work well for Honda. My concern is for Honda- will this concept mesh "culturally" with motorcyclists? Every time I enter a bike dealership I smell the rubber, the leather, a bit of gasoline- it's like I have entered a temple of riding. The people who own and work in these shops are all riders. Their knowledge, dedication, and passion about the sport is generally unquestioned. Will you, the experienced rider, who is also knowledgeable, dedicated, and passionate about our sport, feel the same way when you walk into a "powerhouse" dealership? Can you feature yourself in one of those dealerships having a meaningful discussion about such things as Power Commanders, rearsets, Scotts dampers, and so on? It is very early days to be drawing conclusions and it is true that it may come down to how an individual dealership is able to put the right people into place. Right now I'm just giving it the "smell" test.

I didn't accuse you, directly, of bashing it. I just figured it would be a short trip from a discussion to a downward spiral on this topic.

I think you're spoiled with decent motorcycle dealerships. Most of the dealerships near me have little interest in having "conversations" about bikes unless you're trying to buy one from them. My local Honda shop has phenomenal service when I take my bike in and I would hate hate to see the shop close in favor of the car dealership simply due to the trust and existing relationship I have with the people.

However: from the news I hear from Toronto Honda dealerships they have been hiring the people from the motorcycle dealerships to support the motorcycles. That is definitely the right direction.

My biggest beef with car dealerships: they don't know their product. Most motorcycle dealerships know at least a little about the bikes.

---

-Rob.
SpikedLemon is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 11-09-2007, 10:46 PM
 
Join Date: 02-11-2007
Location: .
Posts: 2,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17
     
Re: Informal Poll: Would you buy a bike from these people?

Quote:
My biggest beef with car dealerships: they don't know their product. Most motorcycle dealerships know at least a little about the bikes.
Yep, I love going to a car dealership and explaining to the salesman how their product functions. It's a joke how little some of them know. The bike dealerships often do a much better job in that regard.
slickwill is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 11-10-2007, 9:03 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 11-18-2006
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15
   
Re: Informal Poll: Would you buy a bike from these people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwill View Post
I like the feel of a nice bike dealership compared to big corporate car dealerships. I walk into my dealership and everyone in there knows what I ride and what I'm interested in. I think that the overall concept could work well for Honda but I would prefer to go to an actual bike shop. The big "powerhouse" dealerships might end up making more sales to the middle age guy who was going in to look at an S2000 and ends up coming out with a 1KRR instead, but is that a good thing? Honda makes more money on the S2000 I'm sure. I don't think that very many people are going to go in to buy an Accord and come out with an Accord, lawnmower, and 600RR just because they were all Honda's being sold under one roof. Lastly, the typical bike shop, lawnmower shop, etc. carries more than one brand. That allows you to compare to apples to apples. I don't want to go in to a big "Honda Emporium" to compare an Accord to a 600RR just because they were both made by Honda. I would rather go down to the bike shop that carries Honda, Triumph, and Yamaha and compare the similar models from each of three. Just the same as I would go to Home Depot to compare the Honda mower, John Deere mower, and Toro mower. If Honda really wants to let its loyal customers know that they make other products then they could add one little corner to the showroom and place a 600RR, weed wacker, and a lawn mower in there with some brochures and addresses to the local shops that sell them. Then when you buy a car they could give you a "loyalty coupon" good for 5% off a Honda power product purchased in the next 6 months, 12 months, whatever.

Very good insight Slickwill! Just today Honda announced to we Power Equipment dealers that they have sent coupons to customers in their automobile data base. The coupons entitle them to $100.00 off the best deal they can make on a Honda snowblower. In fairness though, this program's main intent is to help offset the severe difference in the price of Honda power equipment between Canada and the United States. That is whole other topic, but it does show how they want to leverage their own customers brand loyalty. Thanks for all the comments so far- stay tuned
pmlavigne is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 11-10-2007, 3:35 PM
 
CBR929RE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-06-2004
Location: Randolph, MA
Age: 39
Posts: 12,773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 39
                 
Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE
Re: Informal Poll: Would you buy a bike from these people?

the Powerhouse thing has been around for years in the US. they never canceled any non-powerhouse dealers. From what I hear the Powerhouse dealers get preferential treatment from Honda though, what that means I'm not sure.

my local Honda dealer is a powerhouse dealer but they keep the car division separate from the motorcycle/powersports/lawmower/watercraft/etc division. its all on one property with the buildings 10ft apart, in fact underneath the car sales floor is the motorcycle storage area. sales and service for each is kept separate.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
CBR929RE is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 11-10-2007, 7:47 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 11-18-2006
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15
   
Re: Informal Poll: Would you buy a bike from these people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
the Powerhouse thing has been around for years in the US. they never canceled any non-powerhouse dealers. From what I hear the Powerhouse dealers get preferential treatment from Honda though, what that means I'm not sure.

my local Honda dealer is a powerhouse dealer but they keep the car division separate from the motorcycle/powersports/lawmower/watercraft/etc division. its all on one property with the buildings 10ft apart, in fact underneath the car sales floor is the motorcycle storage area. sales and service for each is kept separate.
Thanks for your input- but what is your sense of the whole deal as compared to the stand alone motorcycle dealer(s) you may patronized before the power house dealer was in business. As an experienced rider do you feel the right kind of vibe when you go there for parts, service, or accessories. Is it a better, worse or the same experience dealing with the power house guys?
pmlavigne is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 11-10-2007, 8:29 PM
 
CBR929RE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-06-2004
Location: Randolph, MA
Age: 39
Posts: 12,773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 39
                 
Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE
Re: Informal Poll: Would you buy a bike from these people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmlavigne View Post
Thanks for your input- but what is your sense of the whole deal as compared to the stand alone motorcycle dealer(s) you may patronized before the power house dealer was in business. As an experienced rider do you feel the right kind of vibe when you go there for parts, service, or accessories. Is it a better, worse or the same experience dealing with the power house guys?

the dealer I go to has had bikes and cars together for longer than I've been riding. I think they've been a Powerhouse since the 80s. I remember going by as a kid and the place has always looked the same. as far as for parts, I look through the books myself and tell them the part number or tell them exactly what part it is if its OEM and make sure they get the right one when looking at the fiche. they have too much turnover in parts. as far as service they have some good mechanics down there so in the rare case I do get them to do any I know they can get it done. but the last time anyone other than me has serviced my bike was my previous bike. I usually just use them for mounting tires.

there's another Honda dealer about the same distance away in the other direction (Eric Wood's sponsor Bettencourts) who is pretty good too.

I have no complaints about either but I've also never bought a bike off of either. but the ones salesman at the Powerhouse place and all the salesman at Bettencourts seem pretty cool. When I was looking for my first bike Bettencourts had an old Hurricane 1000 that I kind of wanted but the salesman wouldn't sell it to me as it was gonna be my first bike.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
CBR929RE is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What would you buy? Army0480 General Discussion 29 10-19-2006 11:24 PM
and we pay these people to write these laws? Superbike Supply Politics 0 08-25-2004 11:56 PM
Which bike would you buy? GhostRider General Discussion 43 07-12-2004 8:49 AM
You may recognize a few of these people nhfirefighter13 Off-Topic 0 02-24-2004 11:10 PM
never buy software from these guys bubba Vendor / Seller / Dealer Reviews 4 08-09-2003 1:08 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome