Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

How do you communicate while riding?

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  BigBassTurd 
#1 ·
I saw a couple of different communication devices today. For $75 you could get a unit that you could plug in a cell phone and a mp3 player to.

Anyone know how these work? Can you get a phone call and have it interupt the music while riding? How would you talk on another rider with one on?

#2 ·
I have a pair of VOX radios but I've never actually tried them despite buying them specifically for communicating with the pits from the track :)
For road use I tried my mobile phone years ago and that worked fine up until about 60kph when wind noise made it impossible to hear or speak clearly enough.
Worse than that though I found I was concentrating on riding and wasn't hearing what was being said anyway :)
My brother has used radios when touring but also found them useless at highway speeds.
I'll have to try these bloody radios out sometime soon and see how well they work.

#3 ·
Don't carry pillions so its not really an issue. Communication with other bikes is kept very simple.
Point at the tank means petrol or stop for a 'natural break' (thankyou cycling terminologly).
Point at lid, around the mouth area means food or drink.
Vertical nod means yes or I understand
Horizontal nod means no.
Wild gesticulation pointing forwards means, Would you MOVE IT!!!
Wild gesticulation pointing to the rear means, your paniers fell off or you have a flat...... JUST STOP!!!!
Shrug of shoulders means I have no idea where we are, where we are going, or how we are going to get there. Did those kids at the last cross road turn the sign the other way???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.