Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Tire Choice: Diablo Rosso or Sportec M-1?

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Rick954 
#1 ·
OK,

I need new tires on my 04 VTR1000 and I have narrowed it down to 2 tires.
This is the level of tire I need and please don't confuse me with more ideas. One or the other, please.

The Pirelli Diablo Rosso $290 for the set at the best priced shop around Tampa Bay. I have heard good and bad reviews on the tires, but everybody has a different view. Latest Greatest!

Metzelers Sportec M-1s $256 for the set. The might be a few years older technology??? But they are $35 cheaper! And I am guessing they will last longer than the Rossos.

What would be your first choice?? Especially given the cost difference...

#2 ·
I would go for the Sportec M3 instead which are the newer version. I've got them on my 98 blade as they're about the only truely modern tyre that will fit the 16" front rim. All I can say is they are absolutely brilliant. I've never leaned a bike over as much in my life as with these tyres. I literally feel like I could scrape the bar weights on the ground. Having said that the Pirelli Diablo Rosso is really seen as the tyre to have at the moment. I'd be going for them if they fit my bike, but you wont be dissapointed with the M3's. I wouldn't be getting the M1's though. They've actually got a rep as a quick wearing tyre and are really old tech by now. Especially if it's only a few extra $30 or so.

#7 ·
Here is what I got from motorcycle.com about the Rosso...

Although I didn't query the other riders in attendance, I didn't hear any murmurings of poor performance from any of them. Some banter between the really fast riders (guys who actually have qualified on AMA girds!) revealed that at day's end the tire started to get a little greasy. Hours and hours of caning on the track by riders pushing the envelope finally saw the Rosso reach its useful limits for said environment. But the aforementioned riders aren’t really who Pirelli expects to buy this tire. For such abuse you should be looking at the racier Corsa III and Supercorsas. All that being said then, the Red Devil is most certainly capable of carrying on in the Diablo's tradition of great tires.

#8 ·
Corsa III's have been the ticket on my 03' 954. 2 rears to 1 front running in the WV hills and a few track days. They stick great. Rubber is cheaper than plastic and new gear. I DO hear some good things about the Rosso. Maybe I will try a set out in the spring when the deals on them hit the market. Dig around for good prices, I got my fresh Corsa III's this Spring for $250 per set delivered off the Helmet Depot ebay store. :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.