Doing up a spares or repair bike. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
General Discussion General Motorcycle Discussion. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, and doesn't fit into a more specific forum, it goes here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-13-2010, 7:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 51

Doing up a spares or repair bike.

Three weeks ago I began a bit of (forced) retirement, thanks to another reorganisation push at the University. Glad to get out of all the politics really.
So, what to do with my time? Money in the bank so no pressures there, daytime TV enough to send you to the funny farm.
Bought a 100 spares/repair off E-Bay, a Yamaha SR125 (ugliest bike in the world), but a nice little learner with a low saddle.
Mostely complete, head off, frame showing evidence of Yamaha's poor build quality, but not too big a job to put right.
Engine back together, the 'terminal' rattle I was told of was nothing more than a dished tappet adjuster, 2 to replace.
But, Oh, the devil is in the detail. Seat cover, mudguard, regulator, rear tyre, indicator units, replacing rusty fasteners, new numberplate plus the cost of paint and wet n' dry. 160. Two weeks graft and the best I can hope for is about 350 on fleabay....... Not really worth the effort.
At least someone will get a machine to pass their test on, maybe even get some enjoyment from it. Its not the route to riches and fame I can assure you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-13-2010, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 144

Send a message via MSN to LoopyLee Send a message via Skype™ to LoopyLee
Re: Doing up a spares or repair bike.

Hey, check this out.. Linkythingymabob.. There have been a few on there recently which have gone for more than 350 but they had an MOT.. Does yours have one? Tax might be an idea too as it's only 15 for a year on a 125cc!

When it come to selling it don't just write summmat boring.. I got a damn good price for my BabyBlade, more than a few other newer ones, and had tons of interest in it (100+ watchers) and I reckon that was mostly because I didn't write your 'normal' type of listing.. It wasn't just the make and model and a list of things about it, I wrote almost a little story about her and I reckon that made all the difference

What you leave behind is not what is engraved on stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others - Pericles

Blade Rider

Last edited by LoopyLee; 06-13-2010 at 10:15 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-14-2010, 5:01 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 51

Hi loopy.

Yes, you are quite right, E-Bay is the great leveler. Whatever dealers or price guides tell you, E-Bay tells the truth. If you have something that people want, you get a very fair price,125's and 400's seem to punch above their weight. But hyperdoodle sports bikes seem to go for relative peanuts. Half the reason I am not moving on from the RRX is that it is worth, at best, 1300(!) Yet it is as fast as I ever want to go, reliable... etc.
My point was, bikes after their first glow in the headlines seem to be worth little or nothing, certainly not their real value. If it wasn't for the ballache of packing and shipping, I would seriously consider just buying them for breaking, that seems to be the active, and lucrative, side of the market.
I suppose if you are a natural salesman the challenge of facing down the tyre kickers and getting a good price might be exciting, but thats the bit I really hate, especially knowing all the hard work and hard won experience I have put into the machines I sell...... Ah well, have to think of another avenue of interesting revenue earning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-16-2010, 5:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 144

Send a message via MSN to LoopyLee Send a message via Skype™ to LoopyLee

Hey jdugen.. I've found you a project to really get your teeth into

Check >this< out

That should keep you busy for a while

What you leave behind is not what is engraved on stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others - Pericles

Blade Rider

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page