Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Realistically aquirable V4 engine bikes

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  vfrman 
#1 ·
Right, so can anybody list off either a V4 or a twin crank bike that the average mortal can aquire? I'm aware one could obtain an NSR 500, but that's not realistic for me. Two or four stroke models.

I thought hondas rc211v was a v 5. Thoughts?

#4 ·
Right, so can anybody list off either a V4 or a twin crank bike that the average mortal can aquire? I'm aware one could obtain an NSR 500, but that's not realistic for me. Two or four stroke models.

I thought hondas rc211v was a v 5. Thoughts?

I don't understand what you mean.

V-fours include lots of different bikes including the RZ500 two-stroke, the Vmax from Yamaha and the VF/VFR and ST Honda series. There are also some Italian designs.
Twin crank engines include the RG500 (road and race versions) and the KR500 and YZR500 GP bikes but I can't think of any others off the top of my head. I don't think the weight of two cranks really makes then viable for four-stroke engines.
The RG and RZ are getting hard to find, but anybody can own a V-four Honda, not that I'd recommend them :)
Yes, the RC21x series is a V-five engine but I'm not sure they're available to the public anyway.
NSR500's do come on the market occasionally but I think most get sold without ever being advertised.

What exactly do you want a V-four for?

#5 ·
Who wants an RG500? Well this guy! I need (lol: want) an old school two stroke sport. My 76 Yamaha rd400 is a basket case at present. After this race season maybe get it running and together. It just isn't ... The cat's meow of two strokes the way the RG is. Why is it the US simply doesn't have cool bikes? Sure.... another harley....wow :(

#6 ·
Who wants an RG500? Well this guy! I need (lol: want) an old school two stroke sport. My 76 Yamaha rd400 is a basket case at present. After this race season maybe get it running and together. It just isn't ... The cat's meow of two strokes the way the RG is. Why is it the US simply doesn't have cool bikes? Sure.... another harley....wow :(

Me too, but not desperately. The RG500 and RZ500 are lovely to look at but they never impressed me much riding them. It's actually the NS400R that I'd grab in a second if one came along. A mate had an RG500 and desperately regrets ever selling it. He also had several RD350's and 400's.

Probably your best bet these days would be to get an RGV250 and build a really nice big-bore engine for it.

But two-strokes are always seconds away from being basket cases, it's part of the design. You're doing very well if you can get more than 10,000kms between engine rebuilds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.