2006 CBR 600 RR sputters out after it heats up - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-18-2013, 1:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

2006 CBR 600 RR sputters out after it heats up

I have an 06 CBR 600 RR that I bought new and now has just under 10k mi on it. I have recently replaced the battery and air filter. Now here is the problem I am running into. it starts right up like a champ every time with no hesitation and idles just fine for the first few min until it starts to heat up. once it hits 100' the idle starts to slowly go down and once it gets to full op temp the idle starts to crash and the engine starts to sputter until it final just stops. staying on the gas will prolong it for a few min but at that point as soon as I let off the gas completely it dies. I added a fuel system cleaner, but as of yet, have not been able to run a full tank of treated gas through my bike. I don't get to ride nearly as much as i would like due to my new baby boy, but I don't let it just sit either, I do get out and at least start it and run it for a few every few weeks. any ideas on what might be going on or ideas of where to start with trouble shooting? any ideas would be greatly appreciated since this is my first foray into motorcycle forums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-18-2013, 1:38 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: 2006 CBR 600 RR sputters out after it heats up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbrewing View Post
I have an 06 CBR 600 RR that I bought new and now has just under 10k mi on it. I have recently replaced the battery and air filter. Now here is the problem I am running into. it starts right up like a champ every time with no hesitation and idles just fine for the first few min until it starts to heat up. once it hits 100' the idle starts to slowly go down and once it gets to full op temp the idle starts to crash and the engine starts to sputter until it final just stops. staying on the gas will prolong it for a few min but at that point as soon as I let off the gas completely it dies. I added a fuel system cleaner, but as of yet, have not been able to run a full tank of treated gas through my bike. I don't get to ride nearly as much as i would like due to my new baby boy, but I don't let it just sit either, I do get out and at least start it and run it for a few every few weeks. any ideas on what might be going on or ideas of where to start with trouble shooting? any ideas would be greatly appreciated since this is my first foray into motorcycle forums.

Maybe the starter valves.
Is the radiator full?
How old is the fuel?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 8 Old 10-18-2013, 1:53 PM Thread Starter

fuel is a bit old but it has sta bil in it so I think it should be fine. but replacing the fuel prob isn't bad idea anyway. as for the starter valves, I would have to look deeper into it as at the moment, I think that may be beyond my technical skill. I havnt checked the radiator but I will. it doesn't show to be over heating though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-18-2013, 4:11 PM

Reputation Power: 32

What you're describing sounds like a rich condition at idle... is there a particular RPM you get to, where the issue seems to disappear? Basically, how does it run from, let's say, 2000 RPM and above?

You did just change your air filter... did you replace it with the same air filter type as what was in there before?

How are your spark plugs looking?

Lastly, has the fueling been modified, like with a PC or other product used for altering your mapping?
post #5 of 8 Old 10-18-2013, 4:37 PM Thread Starter

runs fine at higher RPM. it starts out around 1500-2000 RPM upon starting then after a few min of idle and engine temp gets to norm idle drops slowly and under 1500-1000 rpm idle it sarts to sputter and run rough and then just cuts out. air filter is OEM, same exact that was in there, so shouldn't be a problem there. no PC mods, engine and exhaust is still stock. i have not looked at the spark plugs yet.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-24-2013, 9:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

If you don't ride that much you might be fouling up the Oxygen sensor causing a miss read making the computer think it's lean, so it's dumping fuel.

Check your plugs for the colour of the ceramic insulator
post #7 of 8 Old 10-24-2013, 10:48 AM

Reputation Power: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz_RS View Post
If you don't ride that much you might be fouling up the Oxygen sensor causing a miss read making the computer think it's lean, so it's dumping fuel.

Check your plugs for the colour of the ceramic insulator
The o2 sensor doesn't do that much. The ECU only even looks at its reading at steady throttle+low load+constant speed. It's not a wideband designed to compensate for different flows etc.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-24-2013, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Ok, other problem could be temperature competition. If the intake temp is reading too low the computer should compensate with additional fuel.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page