600RR Race Bike - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 10-06-2015, 4:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 33

600RR Race Bike

Those of you who know me, know that I sold my old race bike, as it was very hard to be competitive in what is essentially an open class (GT Unlimited rules.)

I acquired a 600RR that used to run in AMA Pro's Formula Xtreme class, ridden by #85 Ryan Elleby, for Larry Pegram's racing team - this bike is very well equipped, and has had a recent enough rebuild to give me some good service.

This is the bike in the pictures the seller provided:

Here's some of the current parts list:
  • Apex radial M/C and lever
  • Ohlins fork internals (.95kg/mm)
  • Penske Triple shock
  • Billet top triple clamp
  • GPR steering damper
  • Woodcraft rearsets
  • Woodcraft clip-ons
  • Vortex sprockets
  • Renthal grips
  • NRC stator cover
  • Lightened flywheel
  • APE CCT
  • PC III (tuned for 118hp at the wheel on pump gas, just over 123hp w/race fuel)
  • Bazzas quick shifter
  • Zero Gravity Double-Bubble
  • BMC air filter
  • EBC wave rotors
  • SBS dual carbon racing brake pads
  • Lightened rear rotor (uncertain of brand)
  • Speigler braided stainless lines
  • Rizoma swingarm spools
And some extras that came with it:
  • An assortment of Vortex rear sprockets
  • Two extra race windscreens
  • Spare forks with Penski internals (.85kg/mm Race Tech springs)
  • Cycle Cat fully adjustable rear-sets (custom made set for Pegram)
  • Cycle Cat adjustable clip-ons (custom made set for Pegram)
  • Set of frame sliders
  • Spare cush drive with sprocket
  • Wheel set that needs straightening
  • 2 extra sets of crashed bodywork, that could be repaired
  • New supersport tail that uses stock seat
  • OEM rotors, stator, R/R, flywheel, brake lines, levers, and top triple clamp
I also picked up yet another bodywork set that is very solid, and just needs sanding/painting - I got that set, and another windscreen as well, for $75, from the guy who delivered the bike to the track for the seller.

I got it home, gave it a clean-up, and stripped the existing number plates, as the seller's number was printed on the plate graphics.

By the way, speaking of the extra wheels that need straightening, in the recent past I heard about a good reputable outfit that performs excellent straightening to motorcycle wheels, and I've forgotten the name of the company - it seems it was in the St. Louis/East Illinois area, but I'm not certain... if anyone knows of a good company they can recommend, preferably in the Midwest, please let me know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-07-2015, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Re: 600RR Race Bike

So did you get to try the quickshifter? How did you like it?

I keep looking at modern, fully equipped, track bikes selling on craigslist for 2-4 thousand dollars and I think back on how I've spent over $4k on my F3/2 and it's still not as competitive as the modern bikes. Thank goodness I enjoy the build more then the results or I may have gone mad right now. Basically what I am saying is if its not for the love of building a bike, buying a used track bike is the better option to build on

When you were racing the F2, were you racing similar older bikes? If not, how were you able to be competitive when the F2/3 have only 80 HP and maybe 85-90 after being tuned compared to modern 600's that are pushing around 110 HP and are much lighter and agile? There's just so much time you can make up in the turns. Each lap you will continue to lose like 3-5 seconds on the competitor because on the straights.

I feel sorry for other riders on how fast you will be since you were competitive with a relic now having moved up to something more competitive it will probably feel like they released the chain and ball that was holding you back. Right now in the intermediate group, there's only one or two guys that are able to pass me and that's because either they are really good or I'm challenging a 1000. I cant see how anyone will be able to keep up with me after I get my body position situated and start to bring the R1 to the track. Only time will tell, I just want to finish up making the F3 as competitive as possible, be uncatchable with it in the intermediate group then take it to the expert group to see where I fall in line on the ranking with these so call really fast guys.
post #3 of 21 Old 10-07-2015, 1:44 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 48

ive used wills rim repair i believe based in south carolina. the rim came back better than factory tolerances. a lot of wera guys use him.

Wills Rim Repair | Bent motorcycle rim repair

(864) 329-7671

https://www.facebook.com/WillsRimRepair

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 10-07-2015, 2:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabotage View Post
So did you get to try the quickshifter? How did you like it?
I've ridden with quick-shifters before, but no, I haven't had the chance to try this one in action, as all I've done is take it for a couple of little spins around my neighborhood - its cut-out interval can be customized, so I'm certain I'll be happy with it (so long as it works!), and can adjust the interval if need be.

Quote:
I keep looking at modern, fully equipped, track bikes selling on craigslist for 2-4 thousand dollars and I think back on how I've spent over $4k on my F3/2 and it's still not as competitive as the modern bikes. Thank goodness I enjoy the build more then the results or I may have gone mad right now. Basically what I am saying is if its not for the love of building a bike, buying a used track bike is the better option to build on.
Oh, absolutely, and just to throw it out there, sticking with race forums and their associated classified areas is the ticket - I'm not saying Craigslist is a no go for me, I've bought several things from there, but if you are looking, the WERA classifieds is one of the best sources for already built race bikes for sale.

And let me tell you, I know EXACTLY what you're talking about with investment! My previous F2 was a total investment of over $8000!
Like you, I like building them, and when I get back to big bikes, I will be building one again, as I will start with a brand new machine, but for sure, buying an already built bike is WAAAAAAAY easier on the wallet!!

Quote:
When you were racing the F2, were you racing similar older bikes? If not, how were you able to be competitive when the F2/3 have only 80 HP and maybe 85-90 after being tuned compared to modern 600's that are pushing around 110 HP and are much lighter and agile? There's just so much time you can make up in the turns. Each lap you will continue to lose like 3-5 seconds on the competitor because on the straights.
Nope, I was racing anything and everything there is - GSX-R1000's, S1000RR's, newer 600's whatever! Some guys were "not fast" enough that I could overtake in turns, and get enough of an advantage through subsequent turns that they were too far back on the straight, some were still close enough to get me back on the straight, and some I could get right on, but their power advantage would lose me on the chutes between turns.
Bottom line, it's just like you said - you gotta do the work in everyplace but the long straights.

And more than just the lighter more powerful machines, there's the rider aids, like auto-blippers, slipper clutches, quick-shifters (I didn't have one on my F2, though it was soon for the mod list!) These things allow you to simply concentrate on going fast, and not focusing as much on "getting everything just right" for every corner (speed vs. revs, blipping just right to avoid rear wheel chatter, etc.)

Quote:
I feel sorry for other riders on how fast you will be since you were competitive with a relic now having moved up to something more competitive it will probably feel like they released the chain and ball that was holding you back. Right now in the intermediate group, there's only one or two guys that are able to pass me and that's because either they are really good or I'm challenging a 1000. I cant see how anyone will be able to keep up with me after I get my body position situated and start to bring the R1 to the track. Only time will tell, I just want to finish up making the F3 as competitive as possible, be uncatchable with it in the intermediate group then take it to the expert group to see where I fall in line on the ranking with these so call really fast guys.
Yeah, I'm very anxious to see the difference the new machine will make - I'll be somewhat "cold", as I haven't been on track at ALL this season, so that is allowing everyone else to keep getting faster anyway, but still, I can't wait to get back!

Last edited by JNSRacing; 10-07-2015 at 3:12 PM.
post #5 of 21 Old 10-07-2015, 5:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Kevin View Post
ive used wills rim repair i believe based in south carolina. the rim came back better than factory tolerances. a lot of wera guys use him.

Wills Rim Repair | Bent motorcycle rim repair

(864) 329-7671

https://www.facebook.com/WillsRimRepair
Good to know, thanks Kevin... I'll keep that in mind, if I can't find something where I don't have to ship so far.
The place I had once known of, was reputed by racers as well, but for the life of me I can NOT remember what the outfit was!
post #6 of 21 Old 10-07-2015, 7:39 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

for Wills Rim repair. I've used him to straighten wheels and rotors. Quality work at a good price...

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #7 of 21 Old 10-09-2015, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
for Wills Rim repair. I've used him to straighten wheels and rotors. Quality work at a good price...
Excellent, thanks brother!
post #8 of 21 Old 10-09-2015, 3:23 PM Thread Starter

Plates and CGR decals are on.

Next is to replace the tank grip pads, as I don't like what's on there - new ones are on the way.
After that, other than starting to adjust the ride-height, sag, etc., I'll be pulling the fender for repairing and repainting, as there is a large crack in the top, and it's a bit boogered up... you can't see the defects in the pictures, but up close the fender looks pretty bad.
post #9 of 21 Old 10-09-2015, 6:03 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Giddy up!! Looking good! But, there's no way you can convince me that when you grab a footful of rear brake that it's going to make any difference at all with that rotating sliver of metal attached to the rim

Just wanted to point out that the rear rotor looks fantastic.......among everything else

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #10 of 21 Old 10-09-2015, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
Giddy up!! Looking good! But, there's no way you can convince me that when you grab a footful of rear brake that it's going to make any difference at all with that rotating sliver of metal attached to the rim

Just wanted to point out that the rear rotor looks fantastic.......among everything else
I have the same rotors on my R1. a footful of brake will lock the rear up faster the you can say giddy up.

Im glad you are changing the tank pads jeff as I too saw something off about them but unlike you the utilitarian in me would probably have me keep it status quo since it's more of a cosmetic than functionality since I'm sure that pad will do the job also
post #11 of 21 Old 10-09-2015, 6:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Haha! You would think, but it actually has a surprising bit of bite!!
post #12 of 21 Old 10-09-2015, 7:08 PM

Garage

Quote:
I have the same rotors on my R1. a footful of brake will lock the rear up faster the you can say giddy up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSRacing View Post
Haha! You would think, but it actually has a surprising bit of bite!!
Well then how can I get 2 them

post #13 of 21 Old 10-10-2015, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Well then how can I get 2 them
I've seen them two places. Superbike unlimited and eBay

220mm Light Weight Rear Brake Disc Rotor Honda CBR1000RR 04 14 CBR900RR 92 99 | eBay

Superbike Unlimited Rear Brake Rotor - Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, BMW
post #14 of 21 Old 10-10-2015, 10:44 PM

Garage

Thanks Sabo, looks like another purchase is immenent

post #15 of 21 Old 10-11-2015, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Im glad you are changing the tank pads jeff as I too saw something off about them but unlike you the utilitarian in me would probably have me keep it status quo since it's more of a cosmetic than functionality since I'm sure that pad will do the job also
It's definitely a cosmetic thing, but not just that, because actually, it's a thick foam-based material, and not as sticky as most tank pads, also, the foam absorbs water, and I don't like that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page