need help with front brake guys!! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 11-22-2015, 1:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 6

need help with front brake guys!!

Hi guys got a little problem here.actually i have been having this problem for a while now but trying to figure this out cuz i am at wits end with this.i have a honda cbr 600 f2 from day one i bought the bike the front calipers worked great until onde day i saw that the pads need replacing.so i got a set of sbs pads and installed them and after the 2nd day the right side caliper started dragging like really really bad when i drove around i could hear the right side brake caliper going "clongek" and i could actually feel it dragging at the handle bars so i thought maybe its time for a rebuild so i order new seals for both calipers from honda with my VIN number and installed the new seals on the left side caliper which was easy and i buffed the pistons with some 1500 grid samd paper.i finished up on the left side and went to the right side immediatly the seals didnt fit inside the caliper so i scrubbed the rim with brake cleaner and a tooth brush and still the seal doesnt fit except if i force it in but then the seal buldges and the piston wont go in then. . .so i installed the old seals back as i couldnt let the bike sit until i eventually solved this problem so i dont know what the hell is going on i realized that the right side caliper (the problem caliper) is black and the left one(the problem free caliper)is silver now i dont know of any bike that has different colour calipers? So i did some research and i learned that the 1991 model and the 1992 model came with black front calipers but the 1993 and 1994 came with silver calipers.even tho they are the same through every year model would the pistons be smaller on the 91 and 92 model front calipers?resulting in smaller seals?

The one who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd.The one who ride's alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-25-2015, 9:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

Re: need help with front brake guys!!

Did you figure this out? I did some research. I looked at RonAyers OEM parts and CheapCycleParts and nothing seems to be different except 91 list the dust seals and piston seals seperately, and 94 list it as a set, And even 95 F3 list the same part# as 94 F2 as a set. Doesnt make any sense thats for sure since supposedly there was no upgrade to the caliper for the F2 and the brake upgrade for the F3 was larger floating discs with solid mounted calipers which appear to use the same seals as the F2.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-25-2015, 1:55 PM Thread Starter

Really sh!t then i dont know maybe my problem caliper is a vfr 400 caliper could this be as i am working on a nc 21 at the moment and i have been looking at the caliper and they kinda look like my one im not really sure about this

The one who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd.The one who ride's alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-25-2015, 3:57 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Have you measured your pistons and bores to check the calipers are the same (despite colour and handing)....?

Also check the seals - could be you have been sent two half sets??
post #5 of 10 Old 11-25-2015, 6:15 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonblade View Post
Have you measured your pistons and bores to check the calipers are the same (despite colour and handing)....?

Also check the seals - could be you have been sent two half sets??

Logic tells me to mic the seal recess in both calipers and compare to each other and the replacement seals.

Another thought, you may have one caliper that's not suited to the master cylinder as well as the other caliper?
post #6 of 10 Old 11-25-2015, 9:01 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomodmach View Post
Hi guys got a little problem here.actually i have been having this problem for a while now but trying to figure this out cuz i am at wits end with this.i have a honda cbr 600 f2 from day one i bought the bike the front calipers worked great until onde day i saw that the pads need replacing.so i got a set of sbs pads and installed them and after the 2nd day the right side caliper started dragging like really really bad when i drove around i could hear the right side brake caliper going "clongek" and i could actually feel it dragging at the handle bars so i thought maybe its time for a rebuild so i order new seals for both calipers from honda with my VIN number and installed the new seals on the left side caliper which was easy and i buffed the pistons with some 1500 grid samd paper.i finished up on the left side and went to the right side immediatly the seals didnt fit inside the caliper so i scrubbed the rim with brake cleaner and a tooth brush and still the seal doesnt fit except if i force it in but then the seal buldges and the piston wont go in then. . .so i installed the old seals back as i couldnt let the bike sit until i eventually solved this problem so i dont know what the hell is going on i realized that the right side caliper (the problem caliper) is black and the left one(the problem free caliper)is silver now i dont know of any bike that has different colour calipers? So i did some research and i learned that the 1991 model and the 1992 model came with black front calipers but the 1993 and 1994 came with silver calipers.even tho they are the same through every year model would the pistons be smaller on the 91 and 92 model front calipers?resulting in smaller seals?

Partzilla lists the seal kits for all F2/F3's 91-98 as having all the same 2-piston design calipers, utilizing all the same size seals. Is it possible you got shipped 1 wrong seal set and 1 good one? Also, usually if you get a clunking sound in those style brakes it's usually dry slide pins. The slide pins allow the caliper to self center and let the stationary (inside pad) wear evenly. Make sure all you slide pins are lubed property and that the dust boots are not torn.

In regards to the piston seals not fitting, and one caliper being a different color, it is possible you have 2 different calipers, 1 not being a standard issue F2/3 caliper? The OEM calipers are used on a TON of Honda's, dating back to ATC's. How about a few pics of your set up? Close ups of each caliper?

Or as previously recommended getting a mic on the Pistons.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #7 of 10 Old 11-29-2015, 8:27 AM Thread Starter

Hi guys sorry i havent replied in a while been busy with that vfr 400 basically bringing it back to life.

A update on my brakes.i bought a nc 30 front brake master cylinder on friday with some braided SS hoses.i got the hoses for R1 thats not even a dollar.lol i removed my master cylinder and my OEM hoses which is still the same hoses since 1993 and as i removed the hoses on the right side which has the problem claper i realised there wasnt any brake fluid coming out of the banjo bolt and on the left hand side with the OEM caliper the brake fluid was p!ssing out so yeah i think there was a blockage in those lines aswell.so after all that i mounted the nc30 brake master cylinder and the braided hoses and i started bleeding the system the left hand side caliper was well but the right hand side caliper was seized up all of a sudden and now the damn pistons are seized up and i cant get them out.if really fe dup with this the guy i got the master cylinder from still has the nc30 front wheel,rotors and brake calipers all in great shap im thinking maybe just buy the whole lot and make adapter plates for the calipers to fit on my forks.

post #8 of 10 Old 11-29-2015, 8:43 AM Thread Starter

Altho i dont know if it is a nc30 master cylinder as it came of a nc 30 race bike but i have no clue all i lnow is it looks sick! here are some pics aswell the black caliper is the problem caliper.
Attached Thumbnails
20151129_143801.jpg‎   20151129_143815.jpg‎   20151129_143824.jpg‎   20151129_143834.jpg‎  

post #9 of 10 Old 11-29-2015, 9:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

I know you said parts etc are crazy expensive is South Africa but cant you get stuff from ebay? OEM calipers are all over ebay at very affordable price here in the US. Then rebuild them. The ones on your bike now look a little rough, to say the least.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-29-2015, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Importing into south africa is also a problem although it is cheaper you only get 2 imports per year and then after that you need a import license and honestly id rather upgrade my brakes if i can id rather spend my money on those nc30 brakes and the wheel plus the rotor cuz that means bigger rotor which looks alot better and more stopping power.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page