Honda cbr f3 motor with f2 carbs - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 12-10-2015, 9:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Honda cbr f3 motor with f2 carbs

Wondering if since I got a f2 carb on my f3 motor will the scoop/ram air still work and is it OK to install a jet kit without any complications? Also can a fuel pump be used with the carb and motor setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-13-2015, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

Re: Honda cbr f3 motor with f2 carbs

Im not sure the F3 air box will bolt to the F2 carbs. You might need the F2 air box. And then put the F3 ram air stuff on it. Minus the low speed circuit which alot of F3 rider eliminate. I would think you could use a fuel pump. Probably have to because once you get some air force in there it might not let the fuel flow so a pump would counter act that......I think.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-16-2015, 7:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I have the f2 box but would like to just change the top part with the f3 box so that the ram air can work. I'll look into getting the fuel pump. Will eventually get a stage 1 jet kit for the f2 carbs though to try and compensate for not having the f3 carbs on the f3 motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 12-16-2015, 8:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

The F2 top half of the air box has the intake tubes mounted to it. The F3 doesnt, but the F3 tubes are mounted on the ram air part, I believe. So I figure you could use the F2 complete air box minus the tubes. Something like that. But on a side note, there was only 3 or 4 mph difference in top speed between the two bike when new. So how much does the ram air really help. Plus the F3 was lighter and a little more compression with bigger carbs.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-17-2015, 6:20 AM Thread Starter

Thing is I had a problem going into 3rd gear when using the f3 ram air with the carbs before because the bike would loose power. So once the ram air was removed the bike ram properly. Am figuring more or less that was due to the lacking of the fuel pump because I was just running a gravity feed. So thinking about adding back the fuel pump and ram air.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-14-2016, 5:57 AM

Reputation Power: 6

The f2 and f3 airbox comes apart in 3 pieces, lower(which bolts to the carbs, middel which bolts to the lower and top which botls to the middel. . you can change the the airbox but you will need the top and middel as the airbox structure from the f2 and f3 differs but the lower parts of the airbos are the same on all f2 and f3. Now i dont know if you have a f3 frame or a f2 frame but the ram air wont fit on the f2 frame also if you use f2 carbs on a f3 then you will have to jet the f2 carbs as per the f3 which would be 138 mains,38 pilots and depending on your exhaust maybe a few shims under the needles . .another thing the f2 carbs are alot better and easier to tune and if you install the same size jets as the f3 carbs have into the f2 carbs your bike will run alot better .

The one who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd.The one who ride's alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been
post #7 of 16 Old 02-14-2016, 9:52 PM Thread Starter

OK thanks a lot for the info. Its actually a f3 frame. The bike ram ok with the f2 carbs and jets but just notice that the rpm never went pass 10k and wondered if that was the reason why. The exhaust I got on right now is a stubby.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-15-2016, 2:40 AM

If Its a f3 frame then your set!honestly I would use the f2 carbs as there are no hoses that need to be ripped out and no ram air that needs some tweaking another thing if you use the ram air you will have to use a fuel pump because the speed at which the air enters the air box on an f3 is a lot faster than of an f2 the reason for the fuel pump the fuel need to travel exact same speed into the carbs as the air does otherwise you will get a lean mixture with f2 you don't have to use a fuel pump as as the air in the f2 airbox is being sucked in not forced in and that 10000rpm issue you are having is because of the mains. ..put some 138s in the mains and shim your needles with say maybe one waher and go from there I can guarantee your bike will be a lot better and feel a lot stronger.

The one who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd.The one who ride's alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been
post #9 of 16 Old 02-15-2016, 3:44 AM

Another thing i forgot about.if you are using the f2 carbs remeber to disconnect the tps sensor as they are only needed when using the f3 carbs.another thought for your bike not going past 10000rpm check you have a clean filter aand there are no pinched hoses anywhere fyi a tps sensor could also be the culprit for not revving past 10000rpm.

post #10 of 16 Old 02-15-2016, 3:46 AM

A f3 fuelpump can only be used if you have the f3 cdi . . . so make sure tou have a f3 cdi and not a f2 cdi otherwise the fuelpump would not work and would be useless.

post #11 of 16 Old 02-15-2016, 3:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info. I need to check if is a f3 cdi on the bike but should be. The thing is 10k rpm would respond like 14k rpm but the tach just shows the 10k. I'll use your suggestion and change the main. Question can just the fuel pump prevent the fuel from leaking into the oil. Because when I leave the bike overnight and check the oil it smells of gas!
post #12 of 16 Old 02-15-2016, 3:50 PM Thread Starter

In order to stop the oil from smelling like gas I had to put a small lock off on the bike below the petcock because seems like the petcock not stopping the fuel when it's switched off.
post #13 of 16 Old 02-15-2016, 6:20 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Fuel in the oil is a tell tale sign of leaky needle valves in the float bowls. When they leak the bowls overflow and the fuel dumps into the intake tract.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #14 of 16 Old 02-16-2016, 2:09 AM

I c what you mean . . . .then it could be that you have a weak tacho signal coming from your cdi.mine also did something similar,my tacho needle would stop for a second or 2 on about 11000rpms and the just jump to to which ever revs it got to after the needle stopped. . so i found the signal wire going to the cdi and i snipped it off say 2 inches from the cdi so i just solderd on a new piece of wire and just tapped it up alongside the loom for the bike and ian is dead right check your float bowls i bet they are the culprits. .

post #15 of 16 Old 02-16-2016, 3:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info going to check the float bowls and see if that's the problem.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page