'97 F3 Dies under load - Need Help - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-02-2016, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

'97 F3 Dies under load - Need Help

I have owned this bike since brand new and have never had an issue with it outside of routine maintenance. Ran fine last time I rode it after replacing the fuel pump (about 2 months ago) but I cannot get it to stay running under load now. It will start on the first hit every time, chokes fine until warm, can rev it to redline while the choke is on and even after it warms up and the choke is off. As soon as I put it in gear and release the clutch it just dies, even if i am revving it while releasing the clutch. It will fire right back up and do the same thing over and over. I am at a loss unless I got a bad fuel pump? Any insight any of y'all smarter than me with these engines can provide to trouble shoot would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-02-2016, 1:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Re: '97 F3 Dies under load - Need Help

Bench test the fuel pump by running a jumper wire directly to the battery from the fuel pump and see if it kicks on. Or disconnect the fuel line to the carb and run the engine whilst aiming the fuel line into a bucket, In this way you can determine whether you are getting the appropriate fuel "pressure" Confirm the pump is good/ or bad
If you dont like these options, get the bike running and hold the fuel pump in your hand, it should be "clicking" or pumping at a rate of about a click every second or so.
Proceed to step 2. Disconnect the tank and use an aux fuel source bottle. ( I use a Valvoline gear oil bottle, its easy to fill and has a spout that fits nicely into the fuel line.)
if you can ride the bike with the aux fuel cell, its a problem with fuel delivery up top
tank/petcock/fuel filter
If you still cant load it with good pump and aux. fuel cell, it may be as simple as your pilot or main jets clogged in the carbs
Do these simple tests and get back to us.
Im sure some high level mechanics will chime in with some better options
But this is how I would start to troubleshoot the issue
Cheers
(Assuming that the fuel pump is not inside the tank, I forget on this model, i think its mounted seperate from the tank but I digress.)

Last edited by MACE_; 03-02-2016 at 2:03 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-02-2016, 2:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

I don't think it is a problem with your fuel pump. Sounds like a safety switch problem, though your title and explanation is a little confusing. you stated that it dies under load. just putting it into gear is not putting anything under load. If you are riding the bike and it starts to die then that can be more considered under load. If it's just dying once you put it into gear and release the clutch with no other action then most likely a safety switch problem. The fuel pump fills the carbs bowl so if the bike starts and idle, the bowls would have to get drained before the bike would die.

From the top of my head I think the F3 only have two safety switch. The kick stand and the neutral switch. One of those may be causing your woes. The kickstand wire requires you to just connect two wires going into the kickstand to keep continuity and the neutral switch wire, from my recollection just require you to ground it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-02-2016, 3:43 PM

If the bike fires and runs, the safety switch system is operational.
The safety lockout system on most bikes prevents the bike from running at all.
Unless the kickstand is losing contact upon release of the clutch?
Or at full release the clutch safety switch cuts out? ( no clutch safety lockout on this model?)
post up a vid and we can figure it out i bet
mission
get an old 600 running

Last edited by MACE_; 03-02-2016 at 3:56 PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-02-2016, 4:19 PM

Reputation Power: 5

Sounds like the bike thinks the side stand is down.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-02-2016, 4:49 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

From my recollection, the F3 does have a safety lockout on the clutch lever. Some safety lock outs don't let the bike run at all, others activate when put into gear or clutch released. I'll check when I get home if there is a clutch safety lock out but I'm 90% sure the F3 has one.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-02-2016, 5:01 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Yeah we need a better description, the way I initially read it it sounded like as soon as the clutch is let out it dies. That made me think it was the safety switch as well.

Unless the bike has sat for months without running, it could be a carb/fuel problem. But the OP made it seem like it runs perfect until the clutch is let out, then boom, dead.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #8 of 12 Old 03-03-2016, 8:58 AM Thread Starter

Sorry for the confusing post and I appreciate all the responses. It does not die like it would normally if the side stand was down when you put it in gear. It runs fine until you try to give it gas and take off, then it sputters out and dies almost instantly. It seems like it is something with the fuel delivery system, it just seems odd to me that it would run as well as it does while idling/revving in neutral and then as soon as you try to take off it cuts out and dies. When it dies it does not backfire or miss or anything, it just seems like it is getting no fuel and cuts off.

Thanks again for all of your time and recommendations - I am going to bench test the fuel pump this weekend and see if it will run on an auxiliary tank to see if that helps narrow down my issue.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-03-2016, 9:08 AM

Run this by Ian, but you may be able to take off the fuel pump all together and run with no pump at all. However running with the fuel pump on and not working properly would stop fuel flow. After Ian told me this i Googled it, and found a thread about a few guys with f2's and f3's arguing about whether Honda put the fuel pump on there just for kicks.
Crazy stuff man
Good luck and let us know what happens
post #10 of 12 Old 03-03-2016, 3:46 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedelberg View Post
Sorry for the confusing post and I appreciate all the responses. It does not die like it would normally if the side stand was down when you put it in gear. It runs fine until you try to give it gas and take off, then it sputters out and dies almost instantly. It seems like it is something with the fuel delivery system, it just seems odd to me that it would run as well as it does while idling/revving in neutral and then as soon as you try to take off it cuts out and dies. When it dies it does not backfire or miss or anything, it just seems like it is getting no fuel and cuts off.

Thanks again for all of your time and recommendations - I am going to bench test the fuel pump this weekend and see if it will run on an auxiliary tank to see if that helps narrow down my issue.
Bypass the pump and report back.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #11 of 12 Old 03-05-2016, 2:20 PM Thread Starter

Bypassing the pump and feeding directly from tank to carbs solves the problem. It runs well and responds to throttle in all gears. I will just order an OEM Honda pump this time instead of aftermarket parts. Any thoughts or harm that can come from leaving the pump out? I don't think all F3s had pumps but I am sure there were good reasons Honda would have had for adding one to the system back in 97.

Thanks again for the advice, really appreciate the suggestions and quick responses.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-12-2016, 5:02 AM
Supporting Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Fuel pumps are usually only needed on carb'd bike when tank design means that with low fuel level there is insufficient pressure to feed the carbs which can lead to fuel starvation under load. If you don't let the tank get too empty there should be no problem.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page