Coating cbr f3 main bearings - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 03-20-2016, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Coating cbr f3 main bearings

Am curious to know if anyone ever did this and is it necessary to do so in order to have my bearings last longer and also to protect my crankshaft or is the engine oil good enough to do so and the extra cash to coat the bearings is not a must.???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-21-2016, 12:41 AM

Re: Coating cbr f3 main bearings

I used chain lube spray on the bearings. Tacks up real thick and has that shield for a few rpm before the pump kicks in.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-21-2016, 12:45 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 48

engine assembly lube

http://www.amazon.com/CRC-SL3331-Extreme-Pressure-Assembly/dp/B000M8RYUE

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-21-2016, 2:01 PM Thread Starter

How long can the lube last for?
post #5 of 13 Old 03-21-2016, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muga_d_biker View Post
How long can the lube last for?
if you are referring to the engine assembly lube i put the link for its intended purpose it to lubricate the engine during its initial start up just until the oil makes its way thru the engine and starts doing its job. once the oil is throughout the engine its no longer needed. its also just to keep metal on metal contact during assembly lubricated to protect from small dings or rubs while you put the parts together.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #6 of 13 Old 03-21-2016, 2:27 PM

what type of coating exactly were you referring to in your initial post?

there are some high tech coating used on engine parts like bearings but these are mostly used by higher end performance engines. there is some controversy surrounding their use. some claim they can increase hp, but under normal operation an engines journal and bearing surface are separated by a film of oil so its hard for me to understand those claims they are worth power.

some of these coatings can add some oil retention to the surface of the bearing which in the case of loss of pressure might help avoid damage for a very short period of time. so can the high tech coating possibly help prevent damage or increase engine life? i suppose so in some situations. however, im not sure of the cost involved in having these type of high tech coating applied to the journal/bearing surface but i think unless you are doing some very heavy hp modifications to the engine its pretty much overkill.

personally if it were me, i wouldnt spend the extra money on a f3 engine. maybe if i was doing an extreme build like a turbo hayabusa drag bike or the like id consider the coatings, but on a normal street bike build i think i could find more practical ways to improve my bike with the money i didnt spend on those high tech type coatings.

have you quoted any prices on having the coating you mentioned applied? just curious about the cost. i mean if it were not very expensive i would possible still consider it..

post #7 of 13 Old 03-21-2016, 3:18 PM Thread Starter

It's called thermal coating. The price is about us60dollars to do all five set of main and same price for the rod bearings also. Thing is I had bearing issue last year which found me needing to buy all 9set of bearings and a crank and don't want to go through that again anytime soon. What's the recommended oil for the f3 cause I use to use 20w50…????
post #8 of 13 Old 03-21-2016, 3:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Kevin View Post
if you are referring to the engine assembly lube i put the link for its intended purpose it to lubricate the engine during its initial start up just until the oil makes its way thru the engine and starts doing its job. once the oil is throughout the engine its no longer needed. its also just to keep metal on metal contact during assembly lubricated to protect from small dings or rubs while you put the parts together.
Is the lube I one time protection just for the fitting up of the engine? And goes away once the oil pump starts running?
post #9 of 13 Old 03-21-2016, 3:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Kevin View Post
what type of coating exactly were you referring to in your initial post?

there are some high tech coating used on engine parts like bearings but these are mostly used by higher end performance engines. there is some controversy surrounding their use. some claim they can increase hp, but under normal operation an engines journal and bearing surface are separated by a film of oil so its hard for me to understand those claims they are worth power.

some of these coatings can add some oil retention to the surface of the bearing which in the case of loss of pressure might help avoid damage for a very short period of time. so can the high tech coating possibly help prevent damage or increase engine life? i suppose so in some situations. however, im not sure of the cost involved in having these type of high tech coating applied to the journal/bearing surface but i think unless you are doing some very heavy hp modifications to the engine its pretty much overkill.

personally if it were me, i wouldnt spend the extra money on a f3 engine. maybe if i was doing an extreme build like a turbo hayabusa drag bike or the like id consider the coatings, but on a normal street bike build i think i could find more practical ways to improve my bike with the money i didnt spend on those high tech type coatings.

have you quoted any prices on having the coating you mentioned applied? just curious about the cost. i mean if it were not very expensive i would possible still consider it..
In addition the coating is to prevent metal on metal if there is oil starvation.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-21-2016, 4:15 PM

i can certainly understand wanting to make every effort to lessen the risk of future bearing failure. its unfortunate but bearing failure is always a possibility. i honestly dont have any first hand experience with those type of engine coatings so i cant tell you if the additional cost is justifiable.

the first link i posted was just an assembly lube with its benefits being strictly during assembly and the first initial start up. i kinda misunderstood your question and thought you were asking if you should use a product like that during assembly or just use oil.

those coating may help prevent damage due to metal on metal contact but i can tell you that if your engine suffers oil starvation for more than a few seconds there will be damage with or without those extra coatings. they may buy you a very small extended window before the damage really starts but itd be fairly negligible.

ill say that under normal operation and with diligent maintenance, paticularly where oil changes are concerned, the engine bearings are designed to last many many miles without any additional coatings. like i said, i dont have any personal experience with the coatings but i still think for a typical street use f3 they might be a bit overkill. im sure they offer some advantages but i dont think they are anything i would consider a necessity to get long life from the bearings.

itll be important to take great care in the assembly and its very important to follow a strict break in procedure with new engine internals and of course the most important thing you can do to help ensure a long running engine is keep the oil/filter changed.

im going to pm you information on getting the service manual. check your pm's. that service manual has the honda recommended oil type along with all other important info concerning maintenance intervals. what to use where and when.

im fairly certain the f3 like most honda sportbikes uses 10w40. im not 100% sure but youll find that info in the service manual. for my cbr 954 it does list the recommended oil as 10w40 but it also says 20w50 is acceptable when the average temperature in your area stays over 0 c. so id think in sunny jamaica you would qualify. : )

post #11 of 13 Old 03-22-2016, 4:19 PM Thread Starter

Many thanks for all the info you posted. I love the old cbr's and don't really want to be riding and worrying about bearing and crankshaft damage and more so because its expensive to repair. And thanks for the service manual. Any idea if a oil pressure gauge would be a good buy or waste of money adding it to the bike to see if pressure is maintained at all times?
post #12 of 13 Old 03-22-2016, 11:10 PM

The oil light is good enough. I used to be a line mechanic and would experiment on customer's bikes. I used oil, molly paste, assembly lube, and then came chain lube. No comebacks, no oil smoking, no shop paying for burnt cranks because the chain lube failed? Then, the race bikes would be assembled with chain lube and we are talking piston skirts, bearing inserts, wrist pins, cam lobes, followers. My wallet squeaks when it sees 60 dollar bearing insert lube for only a one time assembly? And then there's probably some old manual saying lube inserts with engine oil. And that's the factory calling the ball.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-23-2016, 3:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
The oil light is good enough. I used to be a line mechanic and would experiment on customer's bikes. I used oil, molly paste, assembly lube, and then came chain lube. No comebacks, no oil smoking, no shop paying for burnt cranks because the chain lube failed? Then, the race bikes would be assembled with chain lube and we are talking piston skirts, bearing inserts, wrist pins, cam lobes, followers. My wallet squeaks when it sees 60 dollar bearing insert lube for only a one time assembly? And then there's probably some old manual saying lube inserts with engine oil. And that's the factory calling the ball.
OK well am going to be there with the mechanic when its being assembled so I'll make sure chain lube is being used. Thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Tags
bearings , cbrf3 , coating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page