Masterlink overtightened - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-08-2016, 8:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Masterlink overtightened

Hey so uhhh.... I'm back again guys.

I'm installing my new chain. Ya'll will crucify me for not doing the sprockets at the same time, and I know I know. I'm short on the funds so I figured I could get away with just doing the chain this year (23K on old one) and then when I finish school next year I could really give this bike a good overhaul.

So I installed the master. Haven't riveted it yet where you splay out the peen things. I have the end plate pressed on, and was just noticing how kinked the chain looked. Is there a chance I over tightened the master link when I pressed it in with my chain break tool? I ran the wheel around a few times, and the chain makes a noticeable "ghrhrhgh" noise when the master goes over the front crank sprocket. I took my micrometer to the links and compared the master to a standard link, and they are both within the same
spec mm. But it's so kinky!!!!

The weather up here is shitty and cold and school is keeping me from having some time and money to work on the bike and do it right. I'd like to at least get the chain fixed so I can ride this thing around for at least 1000 miles til next winter!! Should I just order another master link and try my luck again? If I could find a master link that has those protector things that prevent you from overtightening the master link (I think you slip em in line with the orings before you put the end plate on) I'd feel more confident. I don't want to try a clip-on master link... I barely trust those on my bicycle...

What do you guys think. Would this go away if I gently ran the bike a little? I've taken a little screw driver and filleted the end plate off a little bit so it's not too tight, but the thing still looks kinky. Like I said I haven't riveted the peen things in permanently... I hope to god I didn't f*ck up the last two chain links touching each side of the master link, like I made those guys too tight from pressing in the master link. You see how paranoid I get? That's why I f*ck up stupid little **** like this!!

Just looking for some oversight here. Thanks kindly

Forgot to add: bike is a '95 F3. Has about 23K and change. No idea if prev. owner ever changed the chain out, but judging from what it looked like, I think it was still the original (yikes). I figured it would be best to change the chain because it was REALLY slacking bad (2-3", I think spec is 1.5" up and down).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-08-2016, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Re: Masterlink overtightened

It won't get any better. Trust me on that.
You really need to grind out the pins and start over with a new master link.
You can't go by the factory staked pins as a reference for the master's rivet pins. The chain box should tell you how many mm's to to splay the rivet heads. If not, in the past, I've just tightened a little at a time and remove the tool to flex the chain and check the rivet head.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-09-2016, 9:23 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

To what Jon said. That just looks like it does not line up at all. You could lube it up and take it for a short very slow ride but,... I would start over with a new master link. Does it pivot/flex by hand on each side of the master link?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-10-2016, 9:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

If your not flogging the crap out of the bike maybe use a clip on master link. Also, just because the chain had 3 inch sag instead of 1 1/2 inches didnt mean it was any wore out more than the sprockets. Should've just adjusted the slack and save your money for a complete chain and sprocket kit.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-11-2016, 8:01 AM
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59

Judge me if you like, but I've been using "clip style" Masters without problem for decades. I'm not the smallest of riders, and I think my riding style is "middle of the road".

Additionally, since clip Masters are only about $5, why not go buy two, pop that bad-boy out, and have a spare on hand

Those are my two pennies. Good Luck.

non-Honda fleet: EX250JAF, VL1500LC, ZX600-E1, ZX600-E12
"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
post #6 of 10 Old 04-11-2016, 11:19 AM

I agree unslow1, we used clip style for years. Even racing in the mid 90's. Clip, safety wire, and smear a thin layer of silicone over it and you were good to go. Passed Tech Inspection and all.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-11-2016, 3:05 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

I had a clip type master link come off my race bike at the fastest part of Road Atlanta...the old Gravity Cavity. The only thing that prevented me from having a horrible crash was the (LUCKY) fact that the chain simply fell free of the bike and slid across the asphalt. It could easily have wrapped around the rear wheel, and at 160 mph, that would have been disastrous. Rivet only for me, TYVM.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-11-2016, 6:13 PM

The "old gravity cavity" Did two weekends at Road Atlanta back in mid to late 90's on my F2. Awesome track, amazing amount of traction, especially compared to the "smooth as glass, slick as snoot" Summit Point at the time.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-11-2016, 6:21 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

I never made it to Summit. I lived in MD before I started racing, but it's reputation kept me from trying to reach into Mid-Atlantic. I've lived in North Georgia since '75, started racing in '86, and have a LOT of miles on the old Road A. The new 10A/B is still a challenge, but it doesn't make you grunt out loud in your helmet at the bottom any more. Good times
post #10 of 10 Old 04-11-2016, 6:24 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

Garage

Having spun mine almost up to the rev limiter over the weekend I think I'd be happier knowing that the chain was riveted together.

I don't know of any 'Blade owner who doesn't "flog the crap" out of their bike from time to time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page