2nd Gear Issue - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 05-22-2016, 4:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

2nd Gear Issue

I'm not too proficient at searching this on this website but google didn't turn anything up promising so i figured i'd just ask... i have a 2001 F4i and i just tore it apart searching out a shifting issue that turned out to be the shift link near the foot pedal. Reguardless i put about 110 miles on it and was on the highway getting on a ramp when i shifted into second and felt like the chain was jumping. There was no grinding noise but it definetly was skipping enough to cause concern. I checked the chain, chain tension, front and rear sprocket and all is fine. The issue is only in second gear. It feels like the chain is jumping but i know that since it's only in second that can't be the case. Any ideas? Really don't want to have to split the case again but i'm not going to ride it and make this issue worse.

**UPDATE**
I took it for a ride without a helmet to listen and i did hear grinding noise. Is the dog gear not keeping it engaged? they looked good when i took it apart and inspected it.

Last edited by HondaFan94; 05-22-2016 at 7:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-19-2016, 5:07 PM

Reputation Power: 4

Re: 2nd Gear Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaFan94 View Post
I'm not too proficient at searching this on this website but google didn't turn anything up promising so i figured i'd just ask... i have a 2001 F4i and i just tore it apart searching out a shifting issue that turned out to be the shift link near the foot pedal. Reguardless i put about 110 miles on it and was on the highway getting on a ramp when i shifted into second and felt like the chain was jumping. There was no grinding noise but it definetly was skipping enough to cause concern. I checked the chain, chain tension, front and rear sprocket and all is fine. The issue is only in second gear. It feels like the chain is jumping but i know that since it's only in second that can't be the case. Any ideas? Really don't want to have to split the case again but i'm not going to ride it and make this issue worse.

**UPDATE**
I took it for a ride without a helmet to listen and i did hear grinding noise. Is the dog gear not keeping it engaged? they looked good when i took it apart and inspected it.
Did you measure them for wear?
post #3 of 3 Old 07-20-2016, 4:04 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: 2nd Gear Issue

Dogs are those nipples sticking out of the gear. The slots are who knows what they call it? Forks take the beating, one misses a gear. So you have a possible bent fork. They should not have one mark on it. Should not show a one half moon carving on the body. And at that body part of the fork, there should be no heat burn having the color of blue burnt steel at certain areas.

This is where turtle theory comes in. Rub both hands together real fast, which palm stayed cold? So part for part, there is something called even wear. Where you change gears as a set and any bent fork found with a mark on it, nick, I don't care it's now bent junk, no dog ears left, no slot to hold and old dog ear? Wanna split the cases for a 3rd time?

Signed,
NOLTT (no one listens to turtle)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page