cbr 600 f2 fuel overflow problem - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-09-2016, 1:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

cbr 600 f2 fuel overflow problem

Ok I have a 93 f2 that I bought recently that did not run and had oversize jets in it. I replaced them with the original size jets, cleaned the carbs, changed the oil, plugs, the works. I had it running great after re-syncing the carbs. Had zero problems until one afternoon the bike was sitting in the yard and just felt over on the clutch side of the bike, as soon as I noticed it had fell I picked it up and moved it to a better location. Next morning I go to ride and it just pours gas from the exhaust so I drain the carbs clean them again and the oil and so on so I don't risk hydrolock. I turn the gas on and after a minute it starts to over flow the carbs. I have gone over the tank and the carbs several times but to no avail. The petcock is vacuum operated but when I turn it to primary or reserve it acts like a gravity fed petcock. So long story short would a bad diaphragm for the petcock cause my issue of overflow if everything else is OK with the bike? And just just to be clear I did not have this problem prior to it falling over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-09-2016, 4:06 AM

Re: cbr 600 f2 fuel overflow problem

Coincidence. Bad petcock. It needs rebuilding or replacing. That's mostly your problem.
1. Easiest way is one bowl off at a time. Must have fuel flowing.
2. With one bowl off, gas is flowing, hold float up so it stops flowing with the needle.
3. It did not stop. Either the needle and seat are in need of replacing, or debris between needle and seat.
4. Hold carbs so as the float is level with the horizontal bottom of carb body [where the bowl presses up against]. That is more or less level or look for the float bowl's gas etching line and that helps the leveling part of it.
5. There was no debris, needle stopped the flow. It still leaks so this now is the tang that the needle sits on.
6. Pushing tang up until gas stops with float level is the aim. Drop the float down a millimeter from level, the flow should start to happen again.
7. Nothing needed adjustment and all needles hold back flow, then it is back to the petcock flowing that should stop when engine stops.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-11-2016, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply Catch22 I will be trying your suggestions in the morning and post the results
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-11-2016, 7:30 PM Thread Starter

I think I solved it. I took the tank off, drained it, removed petcock, and found there was no spring to hold tension on it to close. replaced spring, the fixed the flow problem. Then removed carbs and blew through all openings, cleaned the carbs and inspected all floats, needles, seats,aand jets. everything checked out. put the carbs back together and reinstalled. ran some fuel line to the tank while it was on a stand so I could watch the carbs as I ran the bike. Adjusted and synced the carbs and no more overflow while running or while off. The only thing now is that the third carb from the clutch side drips some gas from the needle before the butterfly and I can't think of why, but the drip has slowed down some. Also thank you again for the reply Catch22
post #5 of 5 Old 06-11-2016, 9:35 PM

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page