96 F3 Idle creeps up to 5k - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-30-2016, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

96 F3 Idle creeps up to 5k

I've done about everything I can think of. The cables are good I've takin the carbs off and cleaned them up. Reattach and syncing tomorrow. After that I have no idea what it could be so I need more things to check if it's not the carbs needing synced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-31-2016, 6:06 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 101

Garage
Re: 96 F3 Idle creeps up to 5k

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdleF3 View Post
I've done about everything I can think of. The cables are good I've takin the carbs off and cleaned them up. Reattach and syncing tomorrow. After that I have no idea what it could be so I need more things to check if it's not the carbs needing synced.
Cleaned them like this?

Sounds like a fuel problem, when did this problem arise? How's your compression?

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #3 of 7 Old 07-31-2016, 12:01 PM

See Ian's [bottom of the photo] spigots? Once assembled and running, spray contact cleaner or brake clean at those air entry points. Lean air wants to peak and shout off kind of runs out of gas but doesn't.

If you did clean the carbs like the photo, look at the brass throttle plates in the carb body. Assembled, you have the CV slide to lift and see of the brass throttle plates are equal or one is higher than the others. That's a high rev [causing] plate needing to be screwed back down even, or the sync will pickup who is pulling the most vacuum under that plate.

See the 4 plungers at the top left corner of the photo? Those need to have the rubber insert so those plungers are sent home and do not leak. Those too may cause a rev interference where an idle cable is no help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-31-2016, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

I didn't pull each carb apart I just took the Jets and everything out. I can see a gap in one of my throttle plates though just not sure on how to adjust it so it closes fully. I'll pull them all apart when I get back home. So how do I adjust those when I do get it taken apart?

The problem was there when I bought the bike I just assumed it was a throttle cable. Didn't think it would give me this much of a headache.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-31-2016, 4:17 PM

Garage

Quote:
I didn't pull each carb apart I just took the Jets and everything out. I can see a gap in one of my throttle plates though just not sure on how to adjust it so it closes fully. I'll pull them all apart when I get back home. So how do I adjust those when I do get it taken apart?

The problem was there when I bought the bike I just assumed it was a throttle cable. Didn't think it would give me this much of a headache.
You need a set of these or similar to see the vacuum each cylinder is reading. Then make you adjustment as noted below:

It's a process, running operating temperature, idle up to 3000 make adjustments, bring idle down to normal, recheck the readings at idle. You're supposed to adjust each fuel/air mix screw individually as well, but most syncs can be done fairly close to perfect without messing with the fuel/mix screws. Just set those to 2.5 turns out from lightly seated. That's a good starting point.

If you look at the #1 carb in my pic (left most carb), on the right side of it you'll see a small screw under spring tension. That screw allows butterfly adjustment. Same on #2, and on #4 it's on the left of the carb. Generally the #3 carb is the carb that you can't adjust, and that vacuum reading is what you try to match the other carbs to.

post #6 of 7 Old 08-01-2016, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Just updating everyone that I got it fixed last night reattached the carbs and the idle is fixed minus still needing synced. A throttle plate spring between carbs 3&4 was wedged causing the throttle plate not to fully close.

Not my picture but the spring was split halfway in the middle so it was touching both sides.
Attached Thumbnails
carb40.jpg‎  
post #7 of 7 Old 08-01-2016, 2:40 PM

Garage

Quote:
Just updating everyone that I got it fixed last night reattached the carbs and the idle is fixed minus still needing synced. A throttle plate spring between carbs 3&4 was wedged causing the throttle plate not to fully close.

Not my picture but the spring was split halfway in the middle so it was touching both sides.
YAHTZEE!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page