New 600 F3 Owner with questions - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 08-29-2016, 9:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Garage
Send a message via AIM to PhiAlpha44
New 600 F3 Owner with questions

Hey guys,

So about a year and a half ago I purchased a '98 600F3. All my other bikes are 900cc+ but I've always wanted a Smokin' Joe bike in the stable and 600s were as big as they got. I'm a bigger guy (6'1, 275lbs)... but I'm really enjoying this bike. Very nimble and comfortable.

Couple questions for anybody with an F3.

1. Do these bikes just run insanely cool? My temperature needle moves but NOT much. It's definitely at the low end of the cool spectrum. All of my other bikes usually run with the needle in the middle of the gauge. Last night I had a pretty good run on the highway and then exited right into traffic. That was the FIRST time since riding this thing regularly that I ever got the needle towards the middle of the gauge (close to the screw in the middle of the temp gauge). Then as soon as I got rolling, down it dropped again. I'm wondering if my gauge is off.

2. Being a larger guy... is there a pre-load setting my rear shock should be set at? Are there any F3 modifications that are widely done that I should just do to this bike? People sticking 900RR rear shocks on them or anything like that?

Thanks for any opinion / help.
Attached Thumbnails
Smokin' Joe.JPG‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-29-2016, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Re: New 600 F3 Owner with questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiAlpha44 View Post
Hey guys,

So about a year and a half ago I purchased a '98 600F3. All my other bikes are 900cc+ but I've always wanted a Smokin' Joe bike in the stable and 600s were as big as they got. I'm a bigger guy (6'1, 275lbs)... but I'm really enjoying this bike. Very nimble and comfortable.

Couple questions for anybody with an F3.

1. Do these bikes just run insanely cool? My temperature needle moves but NOT much. It's definitely at the low end of the cool spectrum. All of my other bikes usually run with the needle in the middle of the gauge. Last night I had a pretty good run on the highway and then exited right into traffic. That was the FIRST time since riding this thing regularly that I ever got the needle towards the middle of the gauge (close to the screw in the middle of the temp gauge). Then as soon as I got rolling, down it dropped again. I'm wondering if my gauge is off.

2. Being a larger guy... is there a pre-load setting my rear shock should be set at? Are there any F3 modifications that are widely done that I should just do to this bike? People sticking 900RR rear shocks on them or anything like that?

Thanks for any opinion / help.
1) These bikes run extremely cool for some reason. I used to take my F3 to the track with no fan and the thing never over heated. And that's with waiting on line in 90 degree temperature to go on the track. My last track F3 was my fifth F2/F3 and they all ran cool

2) Send the rear to be re-sprung and valve for you. Cost about $200 but well worth the expense. A lot of guys are buying used Fox Shocks for around $200-$300 and having them serviced for about same price as sending your stock shock off. I went more that direction and loved the performance...

Take a look at my F3 thread build, and JNSRacing build of our F3/F2 track bikes, a lot of good info
post #3 of 15 Old 08-29-2016, 11:43 AM

Beautiful bike, BTW...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-29-2016, 2:32 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

I ran a stock shock redone for my weight on my 94 F2 when I raced. It was redone by Lindlemen, they left the stock spring. It worked well, but fast forward to 2011 when I started doing track days AND could afford a Fox. The Fox I installed was way way better than the stock shock. Also it wouldnt be a bad idea to maybe upgrade your forks with springs for your weight along with fresh fluid and seals. On a side note I have a Fox shock that needs redone that I'd be willing to sell for $200 (I promised it to Sabotage if I decided to sell it but I dont think he needs it any more). PM me if interested.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-29-2016, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabotage View Post
Beautiful bike, BTW...
What he said ^^^^^
post #6 of 15 Old 08-29-2016, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminer frank View Post
I ran a stock shock redone for my weight on my 94 F2 when I raced. It was redone by Lindlemen, they left the stock spring. It worked well, but fast forward to 2011 when I started doing track days AND could afford a Fox. The Fox I installed was way way better than the stock shock. Also it wouldnt be a bad idea to maybe upgrade your forks with springs for your weight along with fresh fluid and seals. On a side note I have a Fox shock that needs redone that I'd be willing to sell for $200 (I promised it to Sabotage if I decided to sell it but I dont think he needs it any more). PM me if interested.
I forgot all about that's how we met. I was begging you for the shock... All I got was

The guy who bought my Fox shock reached out to me after he installed it, thanking me for talking him into buying the shock. He told me it was a night and day difference with the handling of his bike and he only used it for street use.

Phialpha44, if you have the funds, take Frank up on his offer. These things are like gold metals. They are very hard to come by. Plus they are genre specific to the F3/F2 race bikes. It took me months to find a Fox shock of my own and it made a world of difference on my race bike...

There's also a thread here that's still active on who services these things and price range...
post #7 of 15 Old 08-29-2016, 3:36 PM

Thanks for the props Sabotage. If it was my only spare Fox I dont think I'd sell it. But since I have 4 shocks ( 2 Fox, 1 Ohlins, & original) hanging from my rafters in my garage I can NOW part with one. Plus if you, PhiAlpha44, buys it you're not far from me. So shipping shouldnt take long. Plus Jamie at Daughtery Suspension is not for from you either Indiana or Illinois.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-09-2016, 3:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks guys. Yes I let my bike idle for probably 10 minutes the other night while I had a conversation with a friend outside his shop and it was the first time I'd ever heard the fans come on. The temp gauge was about half way and those fans cooled her back down. As soon as I got moving down the road the temp needle dropped like a bag of rocks... so yes it seems these bikes just run extremely cool.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-09-2016, 3:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
PM sent!
post #10 of 15 Old 09-11-2016, 7:51 AM

PM returned, you've got mail.
post #11 of 15 Old 09-12-2016, 8:32 PM

Its easier to post than text so..............A fork fix for the f3 or 94 F2 is to cut 2.6 coils off of the fork spring then add the apropriate spacers to dial in the proper preload to get the sag right along with 7 weight fork oil. And while the forks are apart replace the bushings and seals. This along with a fresh Fox for your weight and some awesome trackday/street tires will transform the bike.
post #12 of 15 Old 09-13-2016, 4:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Its easier to post than text so..............A fork fix for the f3 or 94 F2 is to cut 2.6 coils off of the fork spring then add the apropriate spacers to dial in the proper preload to get the sag right along with 7 weight fork oil. And while the forks are apart replace the bushings and seals. This along with a fresh Fox for your weight and some awesome trackday/street tires will transform the bike.
Yikes... cutting springs? Really?
post #13 of 15 Old 09-13-2016, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiAlpha44 View Post
Yikes... cutting springs? Really?
Or get RaceTech straight rate springs for your weight and RaceTech recommended fork oil weight & level, along with the spacers to get the proper sag.
post #14 of 15 Old 09-13-2016, 8:49 PM

When your cut a spring shorter you are effectively increasing the rate. Ask any FoxBody Mustang (79 thru 93) guru. A popular mod for the Stang if they wanted to lower the car on the cheap was to cut 1 coil off the springs, but then it was so dam stiff it rattled your brain loose because of the increased rate that was created. So the smart thing to do was to buy lowering springs that did not have the increased rate you would get by cutting the stock springs. My brother did his the right way, along with subframe connecters welded, and 331 stroker along with 11 pound pulley on his supercharger.
If a bike has alot of miles on the stock springs I wouldnt bother cutting them, I'd just buy new RaceTechs.
post #15 of 15 Old 09-13-2016, 8:53 PM

Its kind of like " the longer a wooden stick is the easier it is to bend, the shorter the wooden stick is the harder it is to bend," But theres nothing different about the wood other than the length.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page