Can not find front forks for F3; Other options? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-23-2016, 9:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Can not find front forks for F3; Other options?

Hi there!
I can't find replacement forks for my 1996 F3 Smokin' Joe. I found inner tube but not complete shocks. Are there other forks that can be mildly modified?

Grateful for any advice.

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-23-2016, 2:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage
Re: Can not find front forks for F3; Other options?

First to the .org!

I would imagine any forks that follow the same placement (i.e. upside down forks or regular) can be modified to fit. I think it would come down to a few things.
1- Overall length (somewhat adjustable through shims under the spring to increase)
2 - width (have to clamp in)
3- front wheel dimensions (proper width/ new spacers can be milled easy enough)
4- brake mounting (radial vs. reg and it must position your caliper correctly on the rotor)

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
post #3 of 9 Old 09-23-2016, 2:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage

There are a few people that have changed out a few bits on the front end (mostly to get away from a 16" wheel and go up to a 17"). Do a search for this and it should lend a good bit of insight.

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-24-2016, 7:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

Honda made a gazillion F3s, you should be able to find some. Did you check fleaBay? You have to stick with F3 forks unless you want to change the brake rotors, calipers, front wheel, triple clamps, handle bars, etc. A few people put late 90's GSXR 750 forks on F3s but you need the whole front end, from the handlebars down and from the wheel up, and everything in between. The only requirement is getting the proper steering head/stem bearings which "All Balls Bearings" can hook you up. What you end up with is bigger rotors, better calipers, upside down forks with more adjustability. But I think because the handle bars will be below the clamps the fairing might interfere with the handle bars. And its cheaper than swapping out for Honda forks from a different model.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-24-2016, 1:32 PM Thread Starter

coalminer frank and the others,
Thank you for the reply and advice! I have been checking on Ebay and all over the web since my left fork seal starting leaking due to pitting of the inner fork (I live in Floriduh which is surrounded by salt air). There was a pair of inner and outer forks last month on Ebay that sold for $145. Inner forks are going for upwards of $215 for just one! My outer forks have corrosion as well.
Is it dangerous to ride with a leaking fork?
post #6 of 9 Old 09-24-2016, 2:46 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

Depending on your budget, you could send the suspension out to be redone and whatever needs to be replaced would get replaced. There are aftermarket components available.

One big advantage of having the suspension redone, it is suited to the bike and rider.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-24-2016, 3:13 PM Thread Starter

Ianbrown,
The only aftermarket/OEM I seem to find is the inner forks along with the replacement seals kit.

Last edited by kuad; 09-24-2016 at 6:07 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-25-2016, 6:51 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

I think he means send the forks to someone like Racetech or Thermosman and let them do the parts and labor. FWIW, RT has their own fork tubes if you want vice an OE replacement.

There's also a thread on here of a restoration. He sent the fork tubes out for rechroming.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-25-2016, 7:44 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird180 View Post
I think he means send the forks to someone like Racetech or Thermosman and let them do the parts and labor. FWIW, RT has their own fork tubes if you want vice an OE replacement.

There's also a thread on here of a restoration. He sent the fork tubes out for rechroming.
Yep, exactly what I meant. Buying used parts at a premium because of their rarity (no longer available from Honda) does not make much sense.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page