CBR600F2 vs F3 riding position - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

6Likes
  • 1 Post By muso
  • 3 Post By IanDoohan
  • 1 Post By IanDoohan
  • 1 Post By coalminer frank

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 10-15-2016, 3:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 5

CBR600F2 vs F3 riding position

I rode a CBR600F2 today, really lovely for an older bike (1993/4 I think) My only minor issue was that the lean angle was abit too much for me, looking at the 'motorcycle ergonomics' spec page I noticed that the F2 is listed as having a riding angle of 34 degrees forward lean but the F3 is listed as 28 degrees forward lean.

Is this change simple due to the type of clip ons or is it more a redesign of the bike geometry between F2 and F3 with the latter having a more touring friendly stance (which I'm seeking)?

I am also looking at a Kawasaki ZZr600 which is listed as a forward lean angle of only 27 degrees which is quite upright. But in saying that I really prefer honda through and through, they just appear to finished better overall (you can see screws, bolts etc which would be covered and well hidden in the Honda).

I really like the F2 but prefer the F3 riding posture, could I put F3 bars on an F2 to achieve the same28 degree lean angle?

My budget at this stage is only in the F2 or ZZR range mid 1990's bikes, if I could afford to I'd simply get an F3 or even F4 (but not i version don't like efi)

Last edited by muso; 10-15-2016 at 7:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-15-2016, 4:18 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Garage
Re: CBR600F2 vs F3 riding position

Hi Muso, in my time I've had both those bikes, the ZZR600 I used for a daily commute for work ,comfortable bike but lacking (imo) in the styling and zip of the Honda 600, both bikes are good in their own ways , but for enjoyment I would pick the Honda, my only fear being after the 6 months that you'd wished you'd gone for the Blade,
post #3 of 12 Old 10-15-2016, 7:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spagiratwink View Post
Hi Muso, in my time I've had both those bikes, the ZZR600 I used for a daily commute for work ,comfortable bike but lacking (imo) in the styling and zip of the Honda 600, both bikes are good in their own ways , but for enjoyment I would pick the Honda, my only fear being after the 6 months that you'd wished you'd gone for the Blade,
Yes I've thought of that lol which is kind of why I'm looking at cheaper cbr600f2's
MrPickwick likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-15-2016, 8:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

F2s and F3s are pretty much the same bike ergonomicly speaking. I dont really understand the difference you're talking about.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-15-2016, 1:14 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by muso View Post
I rode a CBR600F2 today, really lovely for an older bike (1993/4 I think) My only minor issue was that the lean angle was abit too much for me, looking at the 'motorcycle ergonomics' spec page I noticed that the F2 is listed as having a riding angle of 34 degrees forward lean but the F3 is listed as 28 degrees forward lean.

Is this change simple due to the type of clip ons or is it more a redesign of the bike geometry between F2 and F3 with the latter having a more touring friendly stance (which I'm seeking)?

I am also looking at a Kawasaki ZZr600 which is listed as a forward lean angle of only 27 degrees which is quite upright. But in saying that I really prefer honda through and through, they just appear to finished better overall (you can see screws, bolts etc which would be covered and well hidden in the Honda).

I really like the F2 but prefer the F3 riding posture, could I put F3 bars on an F2 to achieve the same28 degree lean angle?

My budget at this stage is only in the F2 or ZZR range mid 1990's bikes, if I could afford to I'd simply get an F3 or even F4 (but not i version don't like efi)

Just changing to F3 bars probably wont solve your issue, but a set of aftermarket clip-on risers may. Search for Heli-bars, or similar. They offer adjustability and quality. I think Woodcraft makes riser bars as well.

But, here is a site that I found that allows you to pick your bike, adjust the rider to your height/inseam, and it represents the look of the ergonomics while giving specs. Pretty cool actually. The F3 raised the seat height almost an inch from the F2, as well as pulling the bars back a bit among other subtle changes. The bar swap may work, or it may not be noticeable at all. Might be cheap enough to try with a good used set of F3 bars

Motorcycle Ergonomics
unslow1, MrPickwick and Jaybird180 like this.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #6 of 12 Old 10-15-2016, 8:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks IanDoohan, 'Motorcycle Ergonomics' that's the website I got the info from

I found the F2 to be perfect seat height wise but a bit too much of a forward lean for my liking.

I'm looking at a Kawasaki zzr600 today but other than the more upright riding angle they don't seem to be a touch on a CBR for overall presence and finish. Also looking at Yamaha FZ6 due to the touring nature but haven't heard good things about them, clutch issues, gearbox clunk, fuel injection issues, buzzing handlebars at highways speeds and that bloody funny new round digital cluster with no needles at all wtf?

But I've heard Fz6 have a great really effective headlight one of my main gripes with my old 1980's bikes was the useless headlights, once a horse darted out in front of me, i just missed it luckily I'm a slow rider but proper headlights would have been better.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-15-2016, 9:03 PM

Garage

You won't find a manufacturer that has better fit and finish than a Honda of F2 vintage. I think the F2 is what you really want, based on your posts lol

I would go for one and slap some F3 bars on it and hope for the best. Even if they don't give you optimal position, maybe down the road you can save some more $$ and buy some of the more expensive adjustable clip on's.

The F2's are great all around sport bikes, even with a slightly more aggresive stance it seems like it's the bike for you. You won't be disappointed, maybe SORE a bit, but not disappointed 😀
muso likes this.

post #8 of 12 Old 10-16-2016, 7:52 AM

If you could find a cheap pair of Suzuki SV 650 bars, they are for 41mm fork diameter just like F2s and F3s. They're quite a bit taller than the stock Honda bars. If you would mount them in the stock location they might be to tall. Then you could try mounting them under the top triple clamp to get the lower but they would still be taller than the original Honda bars. Also when you start raising handle bars your cables etc might not be long enough. Clutch, choke, & 2 throttle cables. Also there were different SV 650 bars, the standard bars are taller I believe the SV 650 S models.
IanDoohan likes this.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-16-2016, 2:45 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminer frank View Post
If you could find a cheap pair of Suzuki SV 650 bars, they are for 41mm fork diameter just like F2s and F3s. They're quite a bit taller than the stock Honda bars. If you would mount them in the stock location they might be to tall. Then you could try mounting them under the top triple clamp to get the lower but they would still be taller than the original Honda bars. Also when you start raising handle bars your cables etc might not be long enough. Clutch, choke, & 2 throttle cables. Also there were different SV 650 bars, the standard bars are taller I believe the SV 650 S models.
Good insider info right there ^^

post #10 of 12 Old 10-17-2016, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminer frank View Post
" Also when you start raising handle bars your cables etc might not be long enough. Clutch, choke, & 2 throttle cables. ".
Don't forget the front brake lines as well. Those lines do not give too much leeway for taller bars. The F2/F3 are great bikes though and will be whatever you want it to be, either a mean track weapon or a tamed daily commuter. Just a great all purpose built machine.

Being that it's a dated machine, some servicing should be done. Most F3's and F2's I've purchased were discovered to be lacking after maintenance were done.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-17-2016, 1:31 PM

Forgot about the brake lines. Good catch Sabotage.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-02-2016, 4:02 AM Thread Starter

Update: I bought a 2005 CBR 600 F4i and love it to death, it looks wicked
I also have a 2009 CBR125r (which I bought for my to get some refresher experience on, I have been riding it around for a while now before getting the F4i, the 125 is easy to ride but so underpowered that it can barely keep up with traffic unless you thrash it, my Son will be learning on that bike.

But I'm 53 and feel like an idiot buying a sport bike, I grew up riding upright tourers like Cb900F boldor (owned 2) and Suzuki GSX 1100e (owned 3) I should have got a Hornet for my riding style, I have trouble riding the cbr in traffic, trouble I don't remember having on any of my older early 80's upright bikes, the older bikes just seemed so much easier to ride than the F4i.

But I knew that if I got a Hornet I would stand there looking at it saying to myself...."it's not a cbr, but at least it's still a Honda......but I don't like the look of it" and it would be for sale within a month and bikes are hard to sell

So I bit the bullet and got a 2005 red and black F4i (exactly what I wanted) with the approach of modifying it to suit me (even thought about converting it to a street fighter which kind of appeals to me)

Now what I really need is a CBR that rides like a Hornet, I kind of figured that with heli bars etc I could achieve this

On the F4i I have rolled backwards a bit doing hill starts and can't look over my shoulder properly to check for traffic because of the riding position, I am also getting sore wrists and arms after riding it for a while. I had no problems on my other older bikes which as I said were not sport bikes. Add to that the fact that I haven't ridden since the 1990's.

I should start another thread about trying to set up my cbr to ride like a hornet....... I kind of figured
I could have my cake and eat it to.

I should do a riding refresher course, they are not compulsory over here in Oz as long as you have your full motorbike license (which I got back in the late 80's) I think refresher courses should be mandatory because even after a single winter season a rider can lose their basic skills.

Last edited by muso; 12-02-2016 at 4:08 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page