Having trouble with the F4i in traffic, mod ergos? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 12-10-2016, 3:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 4

Having trouble with the F4i in traffic, mod ergos?

I love my recently purchased 2005 CBR 600 F4i to bits, but I am finding that in traffic, commuting etc I'm having trouble. It feels dangerous at low speeds in traffic, I used to ride GSX1100's and CB900F years ago and don't ever remember having trouble in traffic. It's the riding stance mainly, I'm used to seeing the backs of my hands while riding, not the backs of my thumbs (every other bike I've owned has been upright standard) also having not ridden bikes for years is another factor. I find it more difficult to see what's going on around me in traffic and at intersections on this bike, I'm very nervous on it, which isn't good.

I'm feeling that I should have got a Hornet, my friends are saying that to, but I prefer the CBR F4i, it looks so much nicer.

Why a guy like me who doesn't want to ride fast got a sport bike who knows (my hearty ruled over my head)
A touring type rider (which I've always been) shouldn't get a sport bike)

I am also looking into doing a returning rider safety refresher course, should be compulsory here, but it isn't........yet.

Option 1./ Sell bike and get a Hornet 600 or 900, I actually really like the gsr600 Suzuki.

Option 2./ Modify the F4i into a more upright riding stance so that it's more like a Hornet but still has the killer looks of the CBR F4i

I know there are handle bar risers but I would need a complete single bar like the Hornet and repostion foot pegs. As far as the engine goes, I know it wants to go faster but it is still pretty good and will pull from 3000 rpm in a tall gear quite well and doesn't go totally mental until it hits 5000 rpm, so it's really quite rideable at low/medium speeds. It's the rider stance that's the issue for me

I must stress that MOST of my problem is me and my lack of recent experience, the bike is fine but not good ergos for me.
What degree of adjustment is there (if any) as it is stock with the Handlebars/seat/pegs ergos? I would assume very little or none.

I love the bike but if a person with a clean Hornet or Suzuki GSR600 came along, I'd consider swapping plus cash either way, but not before trying ergo mods so I don't have to, I even thought of converting it into a street fighter........don't know, I really do like the street fighter thing.
fj1200rj likes this.

Last edited by muso; 12-10-2016 at 3:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-10-2016, 3:31 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Garage
Re: Having trouble with the F4i in traffic, mod ergos?

Hi Muso, there's no disgrace in tried and failed, this is about you and whats right for you, must admit these days after a while on a sports bike I get that pain in the back of the neck through having to look higher than I normally would on my Triumph 900 Legend, and it looks like you need to build your confidence back, have a look at Motorcycle Ergonomics and enter bikes in that you think might suit and go from there, you can always go back to the CBR later Bill
fj1200rj and muso like this.
post #3 of 22 Old 12-10-2016, 5:17 AM Thread Starter

I might be able to find a cheap Hornet or Sv650 or something else for now and keep the CBR in the shed
fj1200rj likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 12-10-2016, 5:29 AM
Supporting Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by muso View Post
I might be able to find a cheap Hornet or Sv650 or something else for now and keep the CBR in the shed
That's the way to go matey Bill
fj1200rj likes this.
post #5 of 22 Old 12-10-2016, 7:17 AM Thread Starter

I just the took CBR out for a ride tonight, I really like her, it would be hard to part with her. I wish the headlights were brighter with a better spread on low beam, I might look into aftermarket halogen or LED bulb upgrades, I know it's more dangerous but I've always liked riding at night.
fj1200rj likes this.
post #6 of 22 Old 12-10-2016, 7:31 AM
Supporting Member

Garage

Quote:
I just the took CBR out for a ride tonight, I really like her, it would be hard to part with her. I wish the headlights were brighter with a better spread on low beam, I might look into aftermarket halogen or LED bulb upgrades, I know it's more dangerous but I've always liked riding at night.
I'm sure there's enough knowledge on here about which is the right set to use, its usually a case of extra ballast's and wiring in, not as difficult as it sounds , finding the right set is the goal Bill
post #7 of 22 Old 12-10-2016, 7:50 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 101

Garage

I thought the f4 along with the RC51 only uses 1 side on low beam. That could contribute to the poor visibility when not in high beam (both sides activated). I may be wrong though, going on old, sleep deprived memory.....
MrPickwick and muso like this.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #8 of 22 Old 12-10-2016, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

The F4i is a single light on low beam. It's hard to help with ergonomics over an online forum but having the same bike I understand. Most of all the mirrors are probably my biggest grippe and I've searched for a solution. I think the stock and EMGO mirrors are the best but not perfect.

When stopped in traffic, turn 30 degrees or so, to help with situational awareness. I got rear ended by a cop because I got lazy at a red light. Learn from my failure.

There are some resources on Yoitube about bike ergonomics on hand and foot controls. And there are other adjustments you can make, but I don't think risers would work with the upper fairing in place. You'd have to research this to be sure there may be some adjustments available with aftermarket clip ons though.
muso likes this.

-My 06 Fireblade Build Thread
-Her 02 CBR600F4i Custom Suspension
-My 07 CRF230F sold
-My 97 XR100
-07 CRF50F son's
-92 CB750 She lets me ride it, Jetted
-13 CRF110F, 01XR50 Daughter's

Because 12,000 RPM makes me feel better
post #9 of 22 Old 12-10-2016, 3:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage

Hey Muso, at least you're being honest with yourself. I used to do a lot of fwy riding and lane splitting, which I was very comfortable with on my FJ1200, on which the ergos may as well be a standard by today's comparisons. For the past 7 years I haven't had to use the fwy to commute, only back roads through the desert, so I'm a little out of practice. I found myself having to lane split Thursday in heavy commuter traffic on an unfamiliar fwy and found that I am not quite as comfortable splitting lanes on the 954, the leaned forward ergos having my head lower seems to affect my visibility and anticipation of the stupid cager's moves (the one's who start their lane changes then look to see if it's clear). I may explore the fighter option in the future with my 954 as well, although what I would really like to do is find an affordable project, something being let go cheep because of ratty looks but mechanically sound, leave mine alone and build a 954 fighter as a second bike. A more upright position may get me commuting on the bike again as well, which would save a bunch of gas $. My buddy with the R1 picked up a Shadow to commute on, brings out the R1 on Fridays and weekends, I may explore that option as well. I work nights and our spring and summer nights are beautiful ti ride in, I'm just not in my 20's or even 30's any more and I hate getting to work already stiff from the ride in.
muso likes this.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli

Last edited by fj1200rj; 12-10-2016 at 3:56 PM.
post #10 of 22 Old 12-10-2016, 4:06 PM

Garage

Quote:
I've mentioned on here before, I took the HID conversion out of my kids Jetta when it was totaled and put it on my bike, plug 'n play. I didn't like the HID's at all and went back. My same buddy from above put an eBay plug 'n play LED kit on his Shadow, the R1 and his Chevy truck and loves them all. The install took about 1/21 an hour on each. I can tell you they are bright as hell, he came up behind me in his truck one night and I brake-checked him 'cause i didn't recognize the lights and I thought he was high-beaming me (I know, my bad, I'm thinking about starting a road rage anonymous group, LOL).
IanDoohan, MrPickwick and muso like this.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli
post #11 of 22 Old 12-11-2016, 6:34 AM Thread Starter

I'm still checking out clip on risers, as far as I can see the seat and foot peg ergo relationship opn the F4i doesn't appear to be much different to the Hornet, it's mainly just the bars.

After having googled this topic quite a bit today, it seems that there are quite a few people who like me, love their F4i's but want to mod the ergos for touring comfort, some even put dirt bike bars on them......that's maybe taking it a bit too far though, but they seem happy.
post #12 of 22 Old 12-11-2016, 7:09 AM
Supporting Member

Garage

Hi Muso, have a look at this
and this
https://www.topyokes.uk/product/honda-cbr-600-fs/
Could be the way to go for comfortBill
post #13 of 22 Old 12-11-2016, 12:26 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spagiratwink View Post
Hi Muso, have a look at this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C5UBCYIHgA
and this
https://www.topyokes.uk/product/honda-cbr-600-fs/
Could be the way to go for comfortBill
I've bookmarked a similar product available here in the States, considering it as well. Just not looking forward to modifying my upper fairing.

https://spieglerusa.com/handlebar-co...n-kit-4276.htm

http://www.streetfightersinc.com/Hon...Riser-Kits.htm
muso likes this.

Last edited by fj1200rj; 12-11-2016 at 12:32 PM.
post #14 of 22 Old 12-12-2016, 4:26 AM Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the advice and great links guys lot's of great info and advice, you guys are awesome

I've been checking out clip on risers, single bars or new tripple tree that can accommodate both. Tell me what are zero degree clip ons? Do they sit up flat rather than slant downwards?
What slant degree are stock CBR clip ons?
IanDoohan likes this.

Last edited by muso; 12-12-2016 at 6:31 AM.
post #15 of 22 Old 12-12-2016, 6:08 AM
Supporting Member

Garage

Hi Muso, I believe ( from most that I've read) the degree of slant is 7, 0 degree is at right angle to your fork stanchion , if you want a look how 0 degree clip-on's might look just flip you existing clip-on's , you may have trouble with full lock and hitting the screen, but it will give you an idea.Bill
fj1200rj, IanDoohan and muso like this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page