93 CBR 600 F2 Starting Issues - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

6Likes
  • 2 Post By MrPickwick
  • 2 Post By Scootworth
  • 2 Post By MrPickwick

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 04-11-2017, 6:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Garage
93 CBR 600 F2 Starting Issues

Hey all, this is my first post on these forums!

So I've recently purchased an F2 from a neighbor around my area who's letting my fix it up in his garage before taking it off as I my only means of towing right now is tying it down... in a gutted Sienna.

REGARDLESS, it sat for a little over a year and this is what I've done to it.

Drained the old gas from the tank
Changed the spark plugs (definitely burnt out/fouled)
Charged the battery
Sprayed carb cleaner (as requested from the old owner to see if that would work, which it did?)

The things I'm going back over to do this Friday are

Properly clean the carbs (uninstall and disassemble)

So, I've read around this site quite a bit to gain a better understanding of how to do all the things for a basic tune-up. I've worked with parallel twin and single carbs, but never an 4 cyl. When I was working with the old owner to try and get it started already, after spraying some carb cleaner it fired up with slight hesitation! It lasted only about 2-3 s but that 2-3 seconds sounded

Anyway, to me it sounds like it just needs a good carb cleaning and fresh fuel and it should be good yeah? At least enough to get it started and see what other issues may be present. Just wanted to get some more input as I'm a novice at best when it comes to working with motorcycles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-12-2017, 2:35 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)

Garage
Re: 93 CBR 600 F2 Starting Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootworth View Post
Hey all, this is my first post on these forums!

So I've recently purchased an F2 from a neighbor around my area who's letting my fix it up in his garage before taking it off as I my only means of towing right now is tying it down... in a gutted Sienna.

REGARDLESS, it sat for a little over a year and this is what I've done to it.

Drained the old gas from the tank
Changed the spark plugs (definitely burnt out/fouled)
Charged the battery
Sprayed carb cleaner (as requested from the old owner to see if that would work, which it did?)

The things I'm going back over to do this Friday are

Properly clean the carbs (uninstall and disassemble)

So, I've read around this site quite a bit to gain a better understanding of how to do all the things for a basic tune-up. I've worked with parallel twin and single carbs, but never an 4 cyl. When I was working with the old owner to try and get it started already, after spraying some carb cleaner it fired up with slight hesitation! It lasted only about 2-3 s but that 2-3 seconds sounded

Anyway, to me it sounds like it just needs a good carb cleaning and fresh fuel and it should be good yeah? At least enough to get it started and see what other issues may be present. Just wanted to get some more input as I'm a novice at best when it comes to working with motorcycles.
Sounds like your on the right track, clean the carbs ,jets and check the float heights, see how it runs and come back to the forum with your results
IanDoohan and Scootworth like this.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-16-2017, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Garage

UPDATE:

I went back to work on it this past Friday and here's what happened.

I first loosened the drain screws on each of the carbs expecting at least some sort of fluid to come out. But what happened was... a few drops of fresh gas that was in there. My assumption was that "well, maybe it's being blocked by crud that's been lurking in there for quite some time."

I then removed the carbs, opened them up and... nothing. The bowl was empty. Either way I checked and cleaned everything. Floats working optimally, cleaned the jets, needle, etc. put it all back together and narrowed it down to faulty fuel delivery to the carbs. The carbs were synced before it sat so I saw no point in doing a complete sync. (They seemed to be perfect with my benchmark test at least!)

I sprayed some more carb cleaner after throwing it all back together, this time a little more liberally than the previous day I worked on it. When cranking the motor with no avail, I got disheartened until I heard the sound of the liquid getting absorbed by the engine when I released the ignition? Not exaclty sure what the sound was, but it would fire straight up every single time I heard that noise after cranking it. I connected the gas tank filled with premium gas + a little bit of B12 Chemtool to clear the lines and sprayed a final amount of carb cleaner. It fired up and stayed on albeit a little rough. I put it all together and rode it through the neighborhood after it warmed up a little. The next day I got all the legal and DMV work done and went back to ride her home, running errands to make sure she starts up well every time.

And that's the story of how I got my first super sport, my graduation gift to myself
Attached Thumbnails
Image-1.jpg‎  
IanDoohan and MrPickwick like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-16-2017, 12:47 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)

Garage

Good on yer, I love carbed bikes, always good when things come together
IanDoohan and Scootworth like this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page