'93 CBR F2 Struggling to Run - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-28-2017, 5:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Garage
'93 CBR F2 Struggling to Run

Hey all!

Last time I posted on here, it was mostly good news, fixing up my CBR F2! Now I'm faced with a different dilemma, it's bogging down and having issues starting and running after changing the oil. I went and picked up the FRAM filter as specified by their website and picked up some Valvoline 10W-40 conventional motorcycle oil. After changing it properly, I let it run for a few minutes to let it go through the system. Ever since then, I've had issues with it starting.

Once, I had to push it into 5th gear and force it loose and only then it started! Sadly, a week and some later it now shut off on me and bogged down. Luckily, I was able to start it and ride it up, but it felt IMMENSELY weak with poor throttle response.

ALSO, I can hear a rattling very noticeably at times and I'm assuming this is the CCT needing adjusting? Yet I've only the OEM one installed.

Here's the skinny:

14,1xx miles
The carbs are clean, and fuel seems to be getting to the engine.
There IS roughly the same compression (judging from how it feels on my hand, have yet to rent a compression tester)
The plugs are not fouled
Oil level reads full
It has gas.

So with this in mind, I'm planning on getting some synthetic 10W40 and a K&N filter in hopes that my engine just didn't like what I was feeding to it. I do need to do a compression test as well, but I just wanted to get a second opinion on what it could be? Possibly the CCT is in dire need of adjusting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-28-2017, 7:13 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

Re: '93 CBR F2 Struggling to Run

Unless Fram has changed anything, some of their filters were/are just junk. Not Something I would use.

Given that your issues started after the oil change, that is where we should thoroughly look at.

The bike came from the factory with conventional oil, so it doesn't matter if you're running conventional or synthetic. How much oil did you put in?

How are you checking the oil level? Can you tell us exactly how you're doing it? This should clue you in to what I'm thinking,
post #3 of 4 Old 05-28-2017, 8:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanbrown View Post
Unless Fram has changed anything, some of their filters were/are just junk. Not Something I would use.

Given that your issues started after the oil change, that is where we should thoroughly look at.

The bike came from the factory with conventional oil, so it doesn't matter if you're running conventional or synthetic. How much oil did you put in?

How are you checking the oil level? Can you tell us exactly how you're doing it? This should clue you in to what I'm thinking,
I wouldnt use fram filters.......ever! I use the Mobil 1 M110. With that being said I wouldnt think the problem is what kind of oil or filter you're using. I'm thinking what you're thinking "lanbrown". Checking wrong=too much oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-28-2017, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Garage

I see where you're going with this, SO:

The way that I did the oil change was drain, replace filter, pour new oil in measuring 3.7 L as indicated by the manual. I measured it by putting the bike up on its center then checking its dipstick. It looked to be topped off last I checked.

In terms of using a FRAM filter, I was considering using a Mobil 1 filter, but decided to go with what was installed since before I purchased it (since this has happened I'm thoroughly considering running a Mobil 1 or K&N for my next oil change.

In terms of synthetic vs conventional, I did go conventional with proper API rating as listed in the Haynes manual. I know I've heard from multiple sources online and in person about how if a motor has gone synthetic, it shouldn't go back to conventional just to be safe. Now, to the degree of truth that statement has, I don't know, but for now I'll be using full synthetic because I did a quick oil change and boom. No more problems.

So in short, I changed the oil to a 20W-50 fully synthetic oil and my bike loved it. There was no more rattling, no more struggling, and a perfect idle at 1.5k where it was before it started having all these issues. I took it on the road and shifted it through the gears and through the (legal) rev range, about 7-8k since I didn't want to get too far should I break down again. There were no more issues and listening to the footage I filmed of before and after, it was DEFINITELY noticeable how much better the engine is.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page