93 F2 Cleaned Carbs and Now It's Not Starting? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

6Likes
  • 1 Post By cbr99xx
  • 1 Post By Sabotage
  • 2 Post By IanDoohan
  • 1 Post By Sabotage
  • 1 Post By Scootworth

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-06-2017, 6:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Garage
93 F2 Cleaned Carbs and Now It's Not Starting?

Hey all,

I'm posting here again in need of some guidance! I was cleaning my neighbors carb on his mower and decided "eh what the hell I'll clean my bikes while I have air in the compressor". Now that it's all clean, I can't get it to start without spraying some carb cleaner down the carbs and it'll run for a moment then shut off (understandably).

Here are the facts:

• The bike ran perfectly fine, although a little rich which is why I replaced the sparkplugs since they were wet fouled.
• The only things I removed were the bowl and... that's it. I merely wanted to shoot air through the holes of the carb since I had a dead spot at 4-5k rpms and assumed it would be a clogged jet.
• After spraying carb cleaner it ran for a few seconds, but I heard a loud POP on the most recent one. I checked for smoke or leaking anywhere and was okay so I cranked it again and it started, but died after a second again.
• I've cranked it a good 30 seconds total at LEAST. And I see some gas from the carb by loosening the flathead. Is this not enough time? Maybe it's just shy of enough cranks?

So my understanding is I have gas, spark, and to my knowledge compression seeing how it ran like a champ before I cleaned the carbs. It hasn't had a full battery yet, so I have that on the tender as I'm typing right now in hopes that with enough cranks it'll get the gas back into the motor.

Please! Any advice would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-06-2017, 6:21 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 101

Garage
Re: 93 F2 Cleaned Carbs and Now It's Not Starting?

When you say flathead, do you mean the float bowl drain?

It will take a good while for the fuel to reach the carbs because it's fed by gravity and the vacuum of the engine opens the fuel valve. Make sure that system is properly hooked up after you took it off.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #3 of 10 Old 08-06-2017, 8:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Yup, the float bowl drain. I turned them out a hair to see if gas started dripped out and there was. Still on the tender and cranked it maybe 20 more seconds total in the past hour and still no avail. When I leave it alone for an hour though, it will start for a second then continue to crank. Not sure what my next course of action should be. I feel it's taking off the carbs again, but I'm not sure if there's anything else I can check.

I've made sure the vacuum line was hooked up, killswitch set to run, petcock hose connected, set to reserve... trying to remember if I'm leaving anything out. I'm running 20W-50 right now since it's summer it hasn't been hard to start, but since it's getting a little colder in my area maybe I should change it to 10W-40 for easier cold start?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-06-2017, 9:47 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootworth View Post
Yup, the float bowl drain. I turned them out a hair to see if gas started dripped out and there was. Still on the tender and cranked it maybe 20 more seconds total in the past hour and still no avail. When I leave it alone for an hour though, it will start for a second then continue to crank. Not sure what my next course of action should be. I feel it's taking off the carbs again, but I'm not sure if there's anything else I can check.

I've made sure the vacuum line was hooked up, killswitch set to run, petcock hose connected, set to reserve... trying to remember if I'm leaving anything out. I'm running 20W-50 right now since it's summer it hasn't been hard to start, but since it's getting a little colder in my area maybe I should change it to 10W-40 for easier cold start?
Ok, wanted to make sure it wasn't the air/fuel screw.

The oil isn't going to make a difference in the starting issue. Something isn't right from your carb clean. I'm guessing that just blowing the air in the passages has actually clogged something up. Remove them, disassemble them, clean them properly, then reinstall and test.

post #5 of 10 Old 08-07-2017, 2:58 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 23

Garage

This problem has been reported after an ultrasonic clean, the carbs look spotless but the bike won't run, often small pieces of debris have been dislodged and are clogging up the jets.

1993 CBR900 RR P
1994 CBR900 RR R Urban Tiger Project (now sold)
post #6 of 10 Old 08-07-2017, 7:34 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 27

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
Ok, wanted to make sure it wasn't the air/fuel screw.

The oil isn't going to make a difference in the starting issue. Something isn't right from your carb clean. I'm guessing that just blowing the air in the passages has actually clogged something up. Remove them, disassemble them, clean them properly, then reinstall and test.
Yep, can't know for sure but you may have blocked jets... I have used a strand from a multi-strand copper wire to poke out the jets. Thought I could use the smallest of a tip cleaner for a oxy-acetylene torch, wasn't small enough. It worked... go figure. BTW...Pretty sure it was a strand of wire from a automotive plug for trailer lights... It's what was in my tool box
IanDoohan likes this.

Life always looks better through bugs on a face shield.

Last edited by cbr99xx; 08-07-2017 at 8:05 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-09-2017, 8:35 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Did you make sure your lines are not binding when your tank is down? You stated it starts a bit when sitting. I would examine the line when the tank is down or run an auxiliary fuel line to the carbs just to make sure though. But as everyone stated likely you need to give it a proper carb cleaning. I'm surprised IanDoohan didn't post that picture he has of how a carb should look broken down for cleaning. Before I used to do a half ass job of cleaning a carb until I saw that picture of how far you should break down the carb to get a proper cleaning. He may be traumatized about posting picture because of that whole photobucket fiasco...
IanDoohan likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-09-2017, 1:09 PM

Garage

Welcome back Sabotage!!!!!

You mean this pic?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6395.JPG‎  
MrPickwick and Scootworth like this.

post #9 of 10 Old 08-09-2017, 1:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
Welcome back Sabotage!!!!!

You mean this pic?
That's the money shot...
IanDoohan likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-11-2017, 8:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage

SO I took apart the carbs and gave it a proper clean, but I noticed there wasn't any gas in the bowls so I said "okay, lets throw a little more gas than the one cup of gas that's in my tank right now" and... it idled and was fine. Amazing how it always seems to be something silly.

But now it's running so much smoother with a real clean without a dead spot between 4-5k RPM's. It's a little harder to start up each time, but I'm attributing that to the weather getting a bit colder in my area as I just turn the idle adjuster a bit when starting to get it first or second crank (I do need to get a new choke cable for those truly cold starts after not riding a bit D

Thanks all! I'll definitely do a proper carb cleaning from now on just to make sure I can rule it out
IanDoohan likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page