Cbr 600 f3 won't run properly FIXED - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda CBR 600 Discussion of the Honda CBR 600F1, Honda CBR 600F2, Honda CBR 600F3, Honda CBR 600F4, Honda CBR 600F4i, and Honda CBR 600RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

5Likes
  • 1 Post By Gunk
  • 1 Post By IanDoohan
  • 1 Post By IanDoohan
  • 1 Post By Guillyt
  • 1 Post By Guillyt

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 07-28-2019, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Cbr 600 f3 won't run properly FIXED

I had the bike stored for 10 years, last time it was used on the track and had a minor crash ( could not make it in to the corner, exit the track on to the gravel, slow down and finally the bike fell, bike was running after the crash but didn't ride it anymore ), after 10 years fuel tank was nasty, as well as carbs, petcock, filter and pump, fuel tank has been cleaned, vent line it's almost fully clogged so I drilled 2 small holes next to the cap ( don't worry, I have a spare tank ) and now vents properly, petcock cleaned and check functionality ok, new filter and pump, carbs cleaned ( main and pilot jets as well as needles, choke valves, pilot screw, all new seals, etc ) new intake boots. After 10 years and all this work, it took 2 mins to start up, adjusted mixture and idle and was running ok, in neutral it can rev non stop all the way to the red line, but when in load if wide open it will bog from 6k to 7k rpm and around 11k rpm, if gentle with the gas it goes through smoothly and I can't find what's wrong with the bike. What I have done so far is, new spark plugs, replaced coil packs and replaced carbs, I'm about to get a cdi to check if that's the problem, I don't think is the rectifier as the battery is new and I've checked for proper battery charging values, if the cdi is not solving the issue what else could be, pulse generator? Wiring?

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions, any help would be gratefully received!

Last edited by Guillyt; 09-03-2019 at 2:20 AM. Reason: Fixed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-28-2019, 3:39 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 23

Garage
Re: Cbr 600 f3 won't run properly

I had the same problem with my F3, I even removed the air intake solenoid which made very little difference, it’s probably a lack of fuel, not electrical. Sounds like the main jets needs adjustment.

End cans can really make a difference, is it running an aftermarket exhaust system?

1993 CBR900 RR P
1994 CBR900 RR R Urban Tiger Project (now sold)
post #3 of 15 Old 07-28-2019, 3:55 PM Thread Starter

It can't be a fuel issue, all the fuel system has been checked, carbs have been replaced, and still does the same, I'm running aftermarket can as I did in the past, so that is why I'm inclined towards ignition issues.

Thanks for your comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 07-29-2019, 6:11 AM
Supporting Member

Garage

Have you deleted the ram air solenoid, they can fail in the closed position, it’s a 10 minute job to bypass it.

You’ll need one of these

1993 CBR900 RR P

Last edited by Gunk; 07-29-2019 at 6:27 AM.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-29-2019, 6:33 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I've deleted that junk
post #6 of 15 Old 07-29-2019, 5:03 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillyt View Post
It can't be a fuel issue, all the fuel system has been checked, carbs have been replaced, and still does the same, I'm running aftermarket can as I did in the past, so that is why I'm inclined towards ignition issues.

Thanks for your comments.
Don't be so quick to shun the fuel system. A bike that runs well in neutral and that revs to the moon but falls on its face when a load is put on it is more than likely a fuel starvation problem.

Have you given the bike a compression test?

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #7 of 15 Old 07-29-2019, 5:10 PM Thread Starter

It's just at certain rev range when in load, that's why I'm inclined towards ignition issues
post #8 of 15 Old 07-29-2019, 5:37 PM
Supporting Member

Garage

I agree with Ian, it sounds like it’s running lean.

A lean condition is the end result of too little fuel and too much air. Slightly lean conditions create drivability problems. Worst-case scenario: Lean conditions can and do destroy engines. Holes in the pistons, burnt valves and trashed main bearings are the direct result of lean mixtures.

Rich mixtures are the end result of too much fuel and too little air. Rich mixtures waste fuel, contribute to carbon buildup and pollute the air.

Typical Lean Conditions:

- Poor acceleration; the engine feels flat.

- The engine won't respond when the throttle is snapped open, but it picks up speed as the throttle is closed. (A too-large main jet also mimics this symptom.)

- The engine runs hot, knocks, pings and overheats.

- The engine surges or hunts when cruising at part-throttle.

- Popping or spitting through the carb occurs when the throttle is opened. Or popping and spitting occurs through the pipe on deceleration with a closed throttle.

- The engine runs better in warm weather, worse in cool.

- Performance gets worse when the air filter is removed.

Typical Rich Conditions

- Engine acceleration is flat and uneven and loses that "crisp" feel.

- The engine "eight-strokes" as it loads up and skips combustion cycles.

- The engine's idle is rough or lumpy, and the engine won't return to idle without "blipping" the throttle.

- The throttle needs to be open continuously to maintain acceleration.

- Black, sooty plugs, a sooty exhaust pipe and black smoke from the tailpipe that stinks of unburned fuel.

- Poor fuel economy.

- The engine works better when cold. Performance falls off as it warms up or the ambient temperature rises.

- Engine performance improves when the air cleaner is removed.
IanDoohan likes this.

1993 CBR900 RR P

Last edited by Gunk; 07-29-2019 at 5:52 PM.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-29-2019, 5:57 PM Thread Starter

Mixture screw and pilot jets only affect the first quarter of the throttle position, keep in mind the issue it's only happening at 6k to 7k rpm and full open throttle, if you are 1/2 throttle open it will rev smoothly, if it was a fuel issue it would do it at almost any rpm range
post #10 of 15 Old 07-29-2019, 10:22 PM

Garage

Quote:
Mixture screw and pilot jets only affect the first quarter of the throttle position, keep in mind the issue it's only happening at 6k to 7k rpm and full open throttle, if you are 1/2 throttle open it will rev smoothly, if it was a fuel issue it would do it at almost any rpm range
What other mods have you done?

Does it feel like the rev limiter hits in that area when you go WFO?

You sound like you know you're way around a bike, so don't take us as being overly critical, we just offer what we have experienced. I've never run into an ignition issue that would only happen at a certain rev range (especially when its only a 1000 rpms). It's always been a fuel issue. I've had stumbles get smoothed out by raising the needle. Also the F3 has ram air, so in addition to the crankcase re-breather system there are solenoids that operate the low speed float bowl pressurizing system. Maybe some of that nonsense is interrupting it?

Got any pics?

Re-read your initial post. It was you that crashed it on the track 10 years ago? And most of the carbie replacement bits have been replaced? Are the Jets stock sizes? I would try richening up the needles and then adding a size or 2 to the main jets.

I would still go with a compression check, 10 years neglected is a long time.
Gunk likes this.

post #11 of 15 Old 07-30-2019, 5:32 PM Thread Starter

No major mods other than end can and solenoid delete.

As far as I know jets and needles mainly correspond to trottle position, right? Engine suction and ram air pressure do have an effect too, why would then do this no matter what gear I'm in ( different speeds, different ram pressure ) always at the same spot? I'm trying to fully understand how it works to then try to figure out the issue... And why would do the same with a different set of carbs?

I does sound like one cyl maybe 2 have no spark at that range, when in neutral it revs so quick it just passes through that range by inertia and when not wide open, since I does not need all the power you don't feel the lack of it...

In a couple days I'll have a cdi, for 30€ it's worth giving it a shoot
post #12 of 15 Old 07-30-2019, 9:35 PM

Garage

Quote:
No major mods other than end can and solenoid delete.

As far as I know jets and needles mainly correspond to trottle position, right? Engine suction and ram air pressure do have an effect too, why would then do this no matter what gear I'm in ( different speeds, different ram pressure ) always at the same spot? I'm trying to fully understand how it works to then try to figure out the issue... And why would do the same with a different set of carbs?

I does sound like one cyl maybe 2 have no spark at that range, when in neutral it revs so quick it just passes through that range by inertia and when not wide open, since I does not need all the power you don't feel the lack of it...

In a couple days I'll have a cdi, for 30€ it's worth giving it a shoot
Throttle position, vacuum, compression all affect how the bike will run. Does it have a Throttle Position Sensor? If so try unplugging it. A flat spot in any rpm range (especially that specific) can be needle and jet oriented.

Keep us updated
Gunk likes this.

post #13 of 15 Old 07-31-2019, 2:49 AM Thread Starter

It does have a trottle position sensor and it comes with the carbs, so it has been swapped too, I'm going for a ride with some buds now, so we'll see how it goes, since the carbs swap I only did a short test run.
IanDoohan likes this.
post #14 of 15 Old 09-02-2019, 2:33 PM Thread Starter

After all the summer madness of holiday and very few days off from work I finally had some time to spare with the motorcycle, and I managed to fix the issue, and you won't believe what the outcome has been....I was thinking about this issue for a long time and after replacing all the parts I had replaced with no improvement at all, I thought it had to be something before the carbs and sure it was....the fuel filter was clogged, brand spanking new filter, I could be 3 things, could be it was faulty from new, could be the fuel tank has some dirt left from all the cleaning process ( which I highly doubt, because it was rinsed off a few times ) or some bad fuel from the pump, funny thing is that after all the money spent it was a cheap fking filter....
IanDoohan likes this.
post #15 of 15 Old 09-02-2019, 6:24 PM

Garage

Quote:
After all the summer madness of holiday and very few days off from work I finally had some time to spare with the motorcycle, and I managed to fix the issue, and you won't believe what the outcome has been....I was thinking about this issue for a long time and after replacing all the parts I had replaced with no improvement at all, I thought it had to be something before the carbs and sure it was....the fuel filter was clogged, brand spanking new filter, I could be 3 things, could be it was faulty from new, could be the fuel tank has some dirt left from all the cleaning process ( which I highly doubt, because it was rinsed off a few times ) or some bad fuel from the pump, funny thing is that after all the money spent it was a cheap fking filter....
Awesome! Please edit your first post so the title says "FIXED" after it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda CBR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page