Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Clutch Basket Spring Rattle

15K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  varma 
#1 ·
believe I found the source of my " buzz". The springs on the rear of the outer clutch are rattling as you can see. I've called Bike Bandit, any Honda OEM supplier seems they're discontinued and can't be sourced even from Japan. I guess that leaves Ebay.

Any other solutions for a fix? 04 CBR600RR

#2 ·
I would also guess (no expert here) that centrifugal force once spinning will hold the springs in place and you wouldn’t hear anything.

I say this as back in the day of rebuilding my 93 900RR I shook my outer basket and it the springs rattled. I too noticed the springs had some decent play. Never heard anything in the bike while running, and never had a clutch issue.

I only offer that as information. I know there has been some discussion as what those springs actually do.

I did find this, now keep in mind a CX500 is no CBR, but it was interesting to see the tear down of the basket. On newer models like your 600RR, the damper gear/scissor gear as he called it is now probably part of the crankshaft, and not on the clutch basket. Anyway, good luck as I now imagine you’re looking for a complete used outer basket?

https://cx500forum.com/forum/cx500-...poor-state-why-they-rattle.html#/topics/34859

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I've been trying to determine if new ones all have tight springs. It's primary purpose is to cushion engagement/disengagement of the clutch basket from slamming into the engine casing I believe. I've search many threads that say they're " supposed to be loose not tight" or " new ones should be tight". Hard to say for sure. It seems odd that 4/6 are stiff and tight, while the others are loose and rattling.

My issue is under load I had a " buzzing sound", when I clutched in 90% of that noise would disappear. Thus I began my search down the rabbit hole to resolve this issue, as it was getting louder.

Looking at a Honda parts diagram, I've discovered that the Outer clutch basket Honda Part Number 2210-MEE-000 has been discontinued. It seems the new one is 2210-MFJ-D00. So from 03-present it seems most of the clutch components are the same part numbers. I've compared a 04 to a 2008. The only real part number change is the clutch basket/outer clutch. I wonder if swapping out with a newer one will work? might be worth the try.

#4 ·
You might want to try your hand at another site that has more 600RR traffic on it. It might also be worth trying to find a newer (07 maybe?) used one and see if it will fit as you suggested. Honda will change the part number (the middle 3) when a significant change takes place in the model or an update has occurred, and the last 3 designate the vendor used to produce it at the time. The first 5 numbers indicate the component class (ie 22100 for clutch). So it is possible with the changes in suspension and bodywork that the middle and last numbers have changed to supercede the old number and may still fit. Worth a shot I guess if its cheap enough.

#5 ·
I've heard loose clutch springs cause rattling on several bikes, but I'm not convinced they could cause a buzzing noise. Are the inner and outer bushes in good condition? If badly worn they could be causing poor meshing of the gears which is more likely to cause buzzing or whining.

#7 ·
I bought a new needle bearing compared to the old. Seems the old rollers, don't move as much as the new part? Not sure really sure how to test to determine if its bad. I just remember running my fingers over the new needle bearing and the rollers are smoother.

#6 ·
600rr hasn't really been of much help, which is ironic. I found plenty of old threads on there. Thanks for the insight on the part numbers. I'm actually on phone Honda Motorsports. They said 2210-MEE-000 is not stocked anywhere in Honda's inventory worldwide. However 2210-MFJ-D00 is.

Here's a 03-04 parts diagram ( top) Note the guide size of 2mm being the same.

Bottom 2007-Present.

( 2007-present top)
( 2003-2004 bottom)

https://www.ebay.com/p/724-13-16-Honda-Cbr600rr-Engine-Motor-Outer-Clutch-Basket/1211817007

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-HONDA...396996&hash=item3d75c08b88:g:T78AAOSwVE9bsqU6

Attachments

#9 ·
what leads you to believe that? I see the older one has some sort of counterweight, looks like a step vs the smooth flywheel on the the newer one. Someone suggested I goto a clutch shop and see if they can fit new springs. That's a idea... I did find a wholesaler who supposedly claims they have one in a warehouse and i'll get confirmation soon. Wish me luck!

So far all the ebay ones will have 4-6 springs stiff and the rest loose. I called Honda Powers ports ( corporate) this morning, they claim they don't have any in their inventory. Only the newer part number for the 07+

#14 ·
believe I found the source of my " buzz". The springs on the rear of the outer clutch are rattling as you can see. I've called Bike Bandit, any Honda OEM supplier seems they're discontinued and can't be sourced even from Japan. I guess that leaves Ebay.

Any other solutions for a fix? 04 CBR600RR

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.